Affiliation: University of Cambridge
- Persistence of a small subpopulation of cancer stem-like cells in the C6 glioma cell lineToru Kondo
Department of Cell Fate Modulation, Institute of Molecular Embryology and Genetics, Kumamoto University, 2 2 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:781-6. 2004..We propose that many cancer cell lines contain a minor subpopulation of stem cells that is enriched in an SP, can be maintained indefinitely in culture, and is crucial for their malignancy...
- A role for Noggin in the development of oligodendrocyte precursor cellsToru Kondo
Medical Research Council Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology and Cell Biology Unit and the Biology Department, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Dev Biol 267:242-51. 2004..These findings suggest that BMPs in FCS are largely responsible for the 2A-inducing activity of FCS and that Noggin may normally inhibit the formation of 2As in the developing CNS...
- Nuclear export of OLIG2 in neural stem cells is essential for ciliary neurotrophic factor-induced astrocyte differentiationTakao Setoguchi
Centre for Brain Repair, University of Cambridge, E D Adrian Building, Forvie Site, Robinson Way, Cambridge CB2 2PY, UK
J Cell Biol 166:963-8. 2004..We propose that the AKT-stimulated export of OLIG2 from the nucleus of NSCs is essential for the astrocyte differentiation...
- Chromatin remodeling and histone modification in the conversion of oligodendrocyte precursors to neural stem cellsToru Kondo
Medical Research Council Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, Cell Biology Unit, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 18:2963-72. 2004..Our findings suggest that the conversion of OPCs to NSLCs depends on progressive chromatin remodeling, mediated in part by Brca1 and Brm...
- Cancer stem cells persist in many cancer cell linesTakao Setoguchi
University of Cambridge Center for Brain Repair, The E.D. Adrian Building, Forvie Site, Robinson Way, Cambridge, UK
Cell Cycle 3:414-5. 2004..We propose that many cancer cell lines contain a minor subpopulation of stem cells that is enriched in a SP, can be maintained indefinitely in culture, and is crucial for their malignancy...
- A potential role for bone morphogenetic protein signalling in glial cell fate determination following adult central nervous system injury in vivoDavid W Hampton
ICORD, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 26:3024-35. 2007..This potential conversion of inhibitory OPCs to type 2 astrocyte-like cells in vivo suggests that endogenous BMPs, unmasked by noggin antagonism, might be exploited to manipulate cell fate following CNS trauma...
- Brain cancer stem-like cellsToru Kondo
Centre for Brain Repair, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 2PY, UK
Eur J Cancer 42:1237-42. 2006..The purified cancer stem-like cells, but not the other cancer cells, self-renew and form tumours when transplanted in vivo. Thus, cancer stem-like cells in brain tumours might be a crucial target for anti-brain tumour therapy...
- Id4 is required for the correct timing of neural differentiationLynn Bedford
Institute of Genetics, Queen s Medical Centre, School of Biology, The University of Nottingham, UK
Dev Biol 280:386-95. 2005..Together, these in vivo and in vitro data suggest a crucial role for Id4 in regulating NPC proliferation and differentiation...
- Epigenetic alchemy for cell fate conversionToru Kondo
Laboratory for Cell Lineage Modulation, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, 2 2 3 Minatojima minamimachi, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0047, Japan
Curr Opin Genet Dev 16:502-7. 2006..Thus, epigenetic research might generate the alchemy required to convert any non-neural stem cells into functional neural stem cells, which are few and difficult to extract from the adult central nervous system...
- Multiple roles of Id4 in developmental myelination: predicted outcomes and unexpected findingsMireya Marin-Husstege
Department of Neuroscience and Cell Biology, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854, USA
Glia 54:285-96. 2006..These data support the role of Id4 as oligodendrocyte differentiation inhibitor with the ability to differentially regulate the expression and subcellular distribution of myelin gene products...
- Inhibition of histone deacetylase activity induces developmental plasticity in oligodendrocyte precursor cellsCostas A Lyssiotis
The Skaggs Institute of Chemical Biology and Department of Chemistry, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torry Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:14982-7. 2007..This series of experiments demonstrates that global histone acetylation, induced by HDAC inhibition, can partially reverse the lineage restriction of OPCs, thereby inducing developmental plasticity...
- [Cancer stem cells in cancer cell lines]Takao Setoguchi
University of Cambridge Center for Brain Repair
Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso 50:1995-2000. 2005
- Stem cell-like cancer cells in cancer cell linesToru Kondo
Laboratory for Cell Lineage Modulation, Center for Developmental Biology, RIKEN, Kobe 650 0047, Japan
Cancer Biomark 3:245-50. 2007..In this review I summarize the recent progress in CSC research using cancer cell lines...