Tuomas P J Knowles
Affiliation: University of Cambridge
- Welsh T, Shen Y, Levin A, Knowles T. Mechanobiology of Protein Droplets: Force Arises from Disorder. Cell. 2018;175:1457-1459 pubmed publisher..2018). These results show that growing condensates are able to exert mechanical forces resulting in chromatin rearrangement, establishing a new role for liquid-liquid phase separation in the mechanobiology of the cell. ..
- Ruggeri F, Marcott C, Dinarelli S, Longo G, Girasole M, Dietler G, et al. Identification of Oxidative Stress in Red Blood Cells with Nanoscale Chemical Resolution by Infrared Nanospectroscopy. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19: pubmed publisher..Using this approach, we demonstrate that we can identify localized sites of oxidative stress and membrane peroxidation on individual RBC, before the occurrence of neat morphological changes in the cellular shape. ..
- Herling T, Levin A, Saar K, Dobson C, Knowles T. Microfluidic approaches for probing amyloid assembly and behaviour. Lab Chip. 2018;18:999-1016 pubmed publisher..Finally, we highlight the salient features of microfluidic experiments that facilitate probing complex biological systems, and discuss their use in the exploration of amyloids as a class of functional material. ..
- Perni M, Challa P, Kirkegaard J, Limbocker R, Koopman M, Hardenberg M, et al. Massively parallel C. elegans tracking provides multi-dimensional fingerprints for phenotypic discovery. J Neurosci Methods. 2018;306:57-67 pubmed publisher..We anticipate that this approach will further extend the scope and utility of C. elegans as a model organism. ..
- Zhang Y, Buell A, Muller T, De Genst E, Benesch J, Dobson C, et al. Protein Aggregate-Ligand Binding Assays Based on Microfluidic Diffusional Separation. Chembiochem. 2016;17:1920-1924 pubmed publisher..This method yields rapid binding information from only microlitres of sample, and is therefore a powerful technique for identifying and characterising molecular species with potential therapeutic or diagnostic application. ..
- Herling T, O Connell D, Bauer M, Persson J, Weininger U, Knowles T, et al. A Microfluidic Platform for Real-Time Detection and Quantification of Protein-Ligand Interactions. Biophys J. 2016;110:1957-66 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate the potential of quantitative microfluidic techniques to characterize binding equilibria between biomolecules under native solution conditions. ..
- Arosio P, Cedervall T, Knowles T, Linse S. Analysis of the length distribution of amyloid fibrils by centrifugal sedimentation. Anal Biochem. 2016;504:7-13 pubmed publisher..The results, which have been validated by cryogenic transmission electron microscopy (cryo-TEM) analysis, highlight the important role that fibril-fibril assembly can play in the deposition of aggregation-prone peptides. ..
- Herling T, Arosio P, MÃ¼ller T, Linse S, Knowles T. A microfluidic platform for quantitative measurements of effective protein charges and single ion binding in solution. Phys Chem Chem Phys. 2015;17:12161-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the difference between the dry sequence charge and the effective charge of proteins in solution, and open up a route towards rapid and quantitative charge measurements in small volumes in the condensed phase. ..