Raj N Kalaria
Affiliation: University of Newcastle
- Kalaria R, Maestre G, Arizaga R, Friedland R, Galasko D, Hall K, et al. Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia in developing countries: prevalence, management, and risk factors. Lancet Neurol. 2008;7:812-26 pubmed publisher..Dementia costs in developing countries are estimated to be US$73 billion yearly, but care demands social protection, which seems scarce in these regions. ..
- Kalaria R, Akinyemi R, Ihara M. Stroke injury, cognitive impairment and vascular dementia. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2016;1862:915-25 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Vascular Contributions to Cognitive Impairment and Dementia edited by M. Paul Murphy, Roderick A. Corriveau and Donna M. Wilcock. ..
- Kalaria R. Neuropathological diagnosis of vascular cognitive impairment and vascular dementia with implications for Alzheimer's disease. Acta Neuropathol. 2016;131:659-85 pubmed publisher..The investigation of relevant animal models would be valuable in exploring the pathogenesis as well as prevention of the vascular causes of cognitive impairment. ..
- Akinyemi R, Owolabi M, Oyeniyi T, Ovbiagele B, Arnett D, Tiwari H, et al. Neurogenomics in Africa: Perspectives, progress, possibilities and priorities. J Neurol Sci. 2016;366:213-223 pubmed publisher..The translational barriers can be overcome through robust stakeholder engagement and sustainable multilevel, multigenerational and multidisciplinary capacity building and infrastructural development for genomic medicine in Africa. ..
- Kalaria R, Premkumar D, Lin C, Kroon S, Bae J, Sayre L, et al. Identification and expression of the Na+/H+ exchanger in mammalian cerebrovascular and choroidal tissues: characterization by amiloride-sensitive [3H]MIA binding and RT-PCR analysis. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 1998;58:178-87 pubmed..Our study suggests that mammalian cerebrovascular and choroidal tissues contain high amounts of the ubiquitous amiloride-sensitive [3H]MIA binding proteins consistent with the expression of NHE type 1 mRNA. ..