Genomes and Genes
David R W Jayne
Affiliation: University of Cambridge
- Current management of lupus nephritis: popular misconceptionsD Jayne
Adenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Lupus 16:217-20. 2007..Regimens involving maintenance phases have been developed, but uncertainty remains about the risk of flares and how they can be predicted. The optimum duration of treatment has yet to be determined...
- Maintaining remission in a patient with vasculitisOliver Flossmann
Vasculitis and Lupus Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 4:499-504. 2008..Further treatment with cyclophosphamide achieved a second remission, but the patient relapsed again despite remission-maintaining treatment with mycophenolate mofetil...
- Rituximab versus cyclophosphamide in ANCA-associated renal vasculitisRachel B Jones
Vasculitis and Lupus Clinic, Renal Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 363:211-20. 2010..Treatment with rituximab has led to remission rates of 80 to 90% among patients with refractory ANCA-associated vasculitis and may be safer than cyclophosphamide regimens...
- Treating vasculitis with conventional immunosuppressive agentsDavid Jayne
Vasculitis and Lupus Clinic, Box 57, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QQ
Cleve Clin J Med 79:S46-9. 2012..Individualized evaluation of risk and treatment selection will help maximize effectiveness and minimize toxicity...
- Membranoproliferative glomerulonephritisBassam Alchi
Renal Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, CB2 0QQ, UK
Pediatr Nephrol 25:1409-18. 2010..Improvement in renal outcomes largely relies on the evaluation of more selective agents in carefully controlled studies...
- Role of rituximab therapy in glomerulonephritisDavid Jayne
Renal Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, CB2 2QQ, UK
J Am Soc Nephrol 21:14-7. 2010..The toxicity and infective risk of B cell-targeted agents in renal disease needs to be determined as well as their optimal dosing in combination with conventional agents...
- Challenges in the management of microscopic polyangiitis: past, present and futureDavid Jayne
Renal Unit, Department of Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Curr Opin Rheumatol 20:3-9. 2008..The presentation and management of renal involvement in microscopic polyangiitis is discussed, with emphasis on prognosis and outcomes. Potential roles of newer therapies are reviewed...
- Review article: Progress of treatment in ANCA-associated vasculitisDavid Jayne
Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Nephrology (Carlton) 14:42-8. 2009..These have led to consensus recommendations on how AAV should be treated. Many newer agents are currently under evaluation which have the potential to improve AAV outcomes in the future...
- The diagnosis of vasculitisDavid Jayne
Addenbrooke s Hospital, Renal Unit, Cambridge, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 23:445-53. 2009..When the diagnosis remains uncertain, observation over time, repeat investigation and a therapeutic trial may improve the probability of the diagnosis or identify an alternative disease...
- Randomized trial of plasma exchange or high-dosage methylprednisolone as adjunctive therapy for severe renal vasculitisDavid R W Jayne
Department of Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2180-8. 2007..Patient survival and severe adverse event rates were similar in both groups...
- Part 3: Newer therapies for ANCA-associated vasculitisD Jayne
Renal Unit, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Clin Exp Rheumatol 25:S77-9. 2007
- How to induce remission in primary systemic vasculitisDavid Jayne
Nephrology and Vasculitis, Box 118, Renal Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 19:293-305. 2005..Their correct evaluation and integration with current regimens to improve long-term outcome is the major challenge in clinical vasculitis research today...
- The clinical features and pathology of vasculitis associated with anti-myeloperoxidase autoantibodiesDavid Jayne
Vasculitis and Lupus Clinic, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Jpn J Infect Dis 57:S16-7. 2004..An understanding of the biology of MPO and its involvement in the pathogenesis of vasculitis is of importance in understanding the pathogenesis of vasculitis and the development of newer therapies...
- Conventional treatment and outcome of Wegener's granulomatosis and microscopic polyangiitisDavid R W Jayne
Department of Medicine, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Cleve Clin J Med 69:SII110-5. 2002
- Stem cell transplantation in systemic lupus erythematosusDavid Jayne
Renal Unit, Addenbrookes Hospital, Box 157, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 17:291-304. 2004..With the availability of other alternative therapies in refractory disease, there needs to be a clear demonstration of the benefits of HSCT from current randomized trials...
- Autologous stem cell transplantation for systemic lupus erythematosusDavid Jayne
Department of Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Lupus 13:168-76. 2004..The safety of this procedure is likely to be improved by patient selection and choice of conditioning regimen. The return of disease activity in one-third of patients might be reduced by long-term immunosuppressive therapy post-ASCT...
- A CD8+ T cell transcription signature predicts prognosis in autoimmune diseaseEoin F McKinney
Department of Medicine, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine, Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Nat Med 16:586-91, 1p following 591. 2010..These subgroups, which are also found in the normal population and can be identified by measuring expression of only three genes, raise the prospect of individualized therapy and suggest new potential therapeutic targets in autoimmunity...
- A multicenter survey of rituximab therapy for refractory antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitisRachel B Jones
Renal Unit, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Arthritis Rheum 60:2156-68. 2009..This permitted comparison of rituximab dosing regimens, the value of continuing immunosuppression, and investigation of ANCA and B cell levels as re-treatment biomarkers...
- Rituximab for remission maintenance in relapsing antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitisRona M Smith
Addenbrooke s Hospital and University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine, Cambridge, UK
Arthritis Rheum 64:3760-9. 2012..However, further relapse is common, and maintenance strategies are required. The aim of this study was to reduce relapse rates using a fixed-interval rituximab re-treatment protocol...
- Recommendations for the use of rituximab in anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibody-associated vasculitisMary Jane C J Guerry
Vasculitis and Lupus Unit, Box 57, Department of Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 51:634-43. 2012..To perform a literature review and develop recommendations for the use of rituximab in ANCA-associated vasculitis...
- Outcome of ANCA-associated renal vasculitis: a 5-year retrospective studyAnthony D Booth
Department of Medicine, Addenbrookes s Hospital, Cambs, UK
Am J Kidney Dis 41:776-84. 2003..Renal involvement is frequently present in antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibody (ANCA)-associated systemic vasculitis and is an important cause of end-stage renal failure (ESRF)...
- Mycophenolate mofetil vs azathioprine for remission maintenance in antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitis: a randomized controlled trialThomas F Hiemstra
University of Cambridge and Lupus and Vasculitis Unit, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge, England
JAMA 304:2381-8. 2010..Current remission maintenance therapies for antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA)-associated vasculitis (AAV) are limited by partial efficacy and toxicity...
- Biological therapy for lupus nephritis-tribulations and trialsRona M Smith
Department of Renal Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QQ, UK
Nat Rev Rheumatol 6:547-52. 2010..The complexities of clinical trials in lupus nephritis have impeded the demonstration of the efficacy of new agents, but if these difficulties can be overcome, there is a real chance that outcomes in lupus nephritis will improve...
- Novel expression signatures identified by transcriptional analysis of separated leucocyte subsets in systemic lupus erythematosus and vasculitisPaul A Lyons
Department of Medicine, Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0XY, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 69:1208-13. 2010....
- Mycophenolate mofetil in anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibodies-associated systemic vasculitisMaria Koukoulaki
Vasculitis and Lupus Clinic, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Nephron Clin Pract 102:c100-7. 2006..However, longer follow-up indicates a subsequent relapse rate of over 50% that may be associated with low MMF dosing...
- Acquired hemophilia in association with ANCA-associated vasculitis: response to rituximabMenna R Clatworthy
Lupus and Vasculitis Clinic, Department of Medicine, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine, Cambridge, UK
Am J Kidney Dis 47:680-2. 2006..The hemophilia followed a relapsing course under oral corticosteroid therapy, but B-cell depletion with anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody (rituximab) was effective in inducing a prolonged remission...
- Remission of refractory hepatitis C-negative cryoglobulinaemic vasculitis after rituximab and infliximabMaria Koukoulaki
The Vasculitis and SLE Unit, Department of Medicine, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine, UK
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:213-6. 2005
- B-cell depletion with rituximab for refractory head and neck Wegener's granulomatosis: a cohort studyM Martinez Del Pero
Department of Otolaryngology, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Cambridge, UK
Clin Otolaryngol 34:328-35. 2009..This study aimed to evaluate the response of refractory Wegener's granulomatosis affecting the ear, nose and throat and granulomatous eye disease to B-cell depletion with rituximab...
- Genetically distinct subsets within ANCA-associated vasculitisPaul A Lyons
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, and Department of Medicine, University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 367:214-23. 2012..Its cause is unknown, and there is debate about whether it is a single disease entity and what role ANCA plays in its pathogenesis. We investigated its genetic basis...
- Treatment of primary systemic vasculitis with the inosine monophosphate dehydrogenase inhibitor mycophenolic acidThomas F Hiemstra
Lupus and Vasculitis Unit, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Nephron Clin Pract 116:c1-10. 2010....
- Immunotherapy for autoimmune and inflammatory renal diseasesAnthony D Booth
Department of Renal Medicine (Box 118, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Hills Rd, Cambridge, CB2 2QQ, UK
Expert Opin Biol Ther 3:487-500. 2003..Larger, randomised comparisons to standard therapy are needed along with assessment of long-term efficacy and safety...
- Progress in treatment of ANCA-associated vasculitisRona M Smith
Department of Renal Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB20QQ, UK
Arthritis Res Ther 14:210. 2012..As rare diseases, treatment advances in vasculitis depend on international collaborative research networks both to establish an evidence base for newer agents and to develop recommendations for patient management...
- Long-term follow-up of relapsing/refractory anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibody associated vasculitis treated with the lymphocyte depleting antibody alemtuzumab (CAMPATH-1H)M Walsh
Vasculitis Clinic, Box 118, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QQ, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 67:1322-7. 2008..Humanised monoclonal anti-CD52 antibodies (alemtuzumab, CAMPATH-1H) selectively deplete lymphocytes. We present long-term follow-up results of patients with relapsing/refractory AASV treated with CAMPATH-1H...
- Rituximab in the treatment of anti-neutrophil cytoplasm antibody associated vasculitis and systemic lupus erythematosus: past, present and futureM Walsh
Department of Renal Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Kidney Int 72:676-82. 2007..Future randomized control trials and long-term follow-up studies are required to confirm the role of RTX and other B-cell targeting therapies in AASV and SLE...
- Anaemia, weight loss, and round shadows in the lungsAvnesh S Thakor
Department of Renal Medicine, Addenbrooke's Hospital, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Lancet 371:88. 2008
- Update on the European Vasculitis Study Group trialsD Jayne
Senior Lecturer in Renal Medicine, Renal Unit, St Helier Hospital, Carshalton, Surrey, UK
Curr Opin Rheumatol 13:48-55. 2001..The established infrastructure and accumulated database are well placed to facilitate testing of newer therapeutic strategies in the future...
- Determinants of outcome in ANCA-associated glomerulonephritis: a prospective clinico-histopathological analysis of 96 patientsHerbert A Hauer
Department of Pathology and Medical Statistics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Kidney Int 62:1732-42. 2002....
- Renal histology in ANCA-associated vasculitis: differences between diagnostic and serologic subgroupsHerbert A Hauer
Department of Pathology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Kidney Int 61:80-9. 2002..The possible differences in histopathology are investigated in this study...
- Chances of renal recovery for dialysis-dependent ANCA-associated glomerulonephritisRobert A F de Lind van Wijngaarden
Department of Pathology, Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, Leiden, Netherlands
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2189-97. 2007..Even with ominous histologic findings, the chance of renal recovery exceeds the chance of therapy-related death when these patients are treated with plasma exchange as adjunctive therapy...
- Clinical and histologic determinants of renal outcome in ANCA-associated vasculitis: A prospective analysis of 100 patients with severe renal involvementRobert A F de Lind van Wijngaarden
Leiden University Medical Center, Department of Pathology, Postbus 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:2264-74. 2006..36, P = 0.01). Normal glomeruli were a positive predictor of dialysis independence and improved renal function after 12 mo, indicating that the unaffected part of the kidney is vital in determining renal outcome...
- Randomized trial of cyclophosphamide versus methotrexate for induction of remission in early systemic antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated vasculitisKirsten de Groot
Medical School Hannover, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 52:2461-9. 2005..This unblinded, prospective, randomized, controlled trial was undertaken to determine whether methotrexate (MTX) could replace CYC in the early treatment of AASV...
- Pulmonary renal syndrome: a 4-year, single-center experienceHugh Gallagher
SW Thames Renal Unit, St Helier Hospital, Carshalton, Surrey, UK
Am J Kidney Dis 39:42-7. 2002..Cyclophosphamide-associated neutropenia and infection were frequent contributors to death, and less toxic alternatives may improve outcome in PRS...