Affiliation: University of Newcastle
- An autonomous implantable computer for neural recording and stimulation in unrestrained primatesJaideep Mavoori
Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Neurosci Methods 148:71-7. 2005..After downloading the parameters for recording, stimulation, discrimination, and other computations, the device is capable of operating autonomously, delivering stimuli to one electrode triggered by spikes recorded at a separate site...
- Interfacing with the computational brainAndrew Jackson
Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University, NE2 4HH Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 19:534-41. 2011..By elucidating these mechanisms, a new generation of intelligent interfaces can be designed to exploit neural plasticity and restore function after neurological injury...
- Compact movable microwire array for long-term chronic unit recording in cerebral cortex of primatesAndrew Jackson
School of Neurology, Neurobiology and Psychiatry, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
J Neurophysiol 98:3109-18. 2007....
- Reanimating the arm and hand with intraspinal microstimulationJonas B Zimmermann
Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
J Neural Eng 8:054001. 2011..We demonstrate that this model can be inverted to generate stimulus trains capable of eliciting arbitrary, graded motor responses, and could be used to restore volitional movements in a closed-loop brain-machine interface...
- Abstract and proportional myoelectric control for multi-fingered hand prosthesesTobias Pistohl
Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University, Henry Wellcome Building, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
Ann Biomed Eng 41:2687-98. 2013..In summary, we conclude that findings on myoelectric control principles, studied in abstract, virtual tasks can be transferred to real-life prosthetic applications...
- Neural interfaces for the brain and spinal cord--restoring motor functionAndrew Jackson
Institute of Neuroscience, Henry Wellcome Building, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK andrew jackson ncl ac uk
Nat Rev Neurol 8:690-9. 2012....
- A note on the probability distribution function of the surface electromyogram signalKianoush Nazarpour
Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University, United Kingdom
Brain Res Bull 90:88-91. 2013..Moreover, kurtosis analysis showed that as the contraction force increases the surface EMG PDF tends to a Gaussian distribution...
- Flexible cortical control of task-specific muscle synergiesKianoush Nazarpour
Institute of Neuroscience, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 32:12349-60. 2012..Together, these mechanisms contribute to the dynamic emergence of task-specific muscle synergies appropriate for a wide range of abstract task goals...
- Learning a novel myoelectric-controlled interface taskSaritha M Radhakrishnan
Institute of Neuroscience, Henry Wellcome Building, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
J Neurophysiol 100:2397-408. 2008....
- Correlations between the same motor cortex cells and arm muscles during a trained task, free behavior, and natural sleep in the macaque monkeyAndrew Jackson
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98195 7290, USA
J Neurophysiol 97:360-74. 2007..These findings extend the interpretation of results obtained under constrained conditions and are relevant to the development of neural prostheses for restoring natural movements to patients with motor deficits...
- Long-term motor cortex plasticity induced by an electronic neural implantAndrew Jackson
Department of Physiology and Biophysics and Washington National Primate Research Center, Washington 98195, USA
Nature 444:56-60. 2006..This method for inducing functional reorganization in vivo by using physiologically derived stimulus trains may have practical application in neurorehabilitation after injury...
- The Neurochip BCI: towards a neural prosthesis for upper limb functionAndrew Jackson
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 14:187-90. 2006..These observations suggest that spinal microstimulation controlled by cortical neurons could help compensate for damaged corticospinal projections...
- The DNA sequence, annotation and analysis of human chromosome 3Donna M Muzny
Human Genome Sequencing Center, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nature 440:1194-8. 2006....
- Synchrony between neurons with similar muscle fields in monkey motor cortexAndrew Jackson
Sobell Department of Motor Neuroscience and Movement Disorders, Institute of Neurology, UCL, London WC1N 3BG, United Kingdom
Neuron 38:115-25. 2003..We conclude that synchrony in motor cortex engages networks of neurons directly controlling the same muscle set, while inhibitory connections exist between neuronal populations with opposing output effects...