Affiliation: University of Oxford
- The nature of the effect of female gonadal hormone replacement therapy on cognitive function in post-menopausal women: a meta-analysisE Hogervorst
Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Ageing OPTIMA, Radcliffe Infirmary, Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Woodstock Road, OX2 6HE, Oxford, UK
Neuroscience 101:485-512. 2000..g. education) and risk factors (e.g. smoking and apolipoprotein E genotype) for cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease...
- Low free testosterone is an independent risk factor for Alzheimer's diseaseE Hogervorst
Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Ageing, Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Radcliffe Infirmary, Woodstock Rd, Oxford, OX2 6HE, UK
Exp Gerontol 39:1633-9. 2004..Lowering SHBG and/or screening for subclinical thyroid disease may prevent cognitive decline and/or wasting in men at risk for AD...
- Diagnosing dementia: interrater reliability assessment and accuracy of the NINCDS/ADRDA criteria versus CERAD histopathological criteria for Alzheimer's diseaseE Hogervorst
University of Oxford, Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Aging OPTIMA, Oxford, UK
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 11:107-13. 2000..An important finding was that the accuracy of diagnoses of AD made from the case notes alone was not different from the diagnoses obtained following active involvement with participants...
- The controversy over levels of sex steroids in cases with Alzheimer's diseaseE Hogervorst
Department of Pharmacology, OPTIMA, University of Oxford, UK
J Neuroendocrinol 16:93-4. 2004
- Testosterone and gonadotropin levels in men with dementiaE Hogervorst
Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Ageing, Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 24:203-8. 2003..We wanted to assess levels of pituitary gonadotropins that regulate sex steroid levels, to determine whether primary or secondary hypogonadism was responsible for low levels of testosterone in cases...
- A new visual rating scale for white matter low attenuation on CTH K Mendes Ribeiro
Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK
Eur Neurol 45:140-4. 2001..CTs were read separately by 2 radiologists. Intraobserver reliabilities were 0.69 and 0.55, interobserver 0.70 (kappa values). Each assessment required only 1 min...
- Sensitivity and specificity of neuropsychological tests for mild cognitive impairment, vascular cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's diseaseC A De Jager
Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Ageing, Radcliffe Infirmary Trust, Oxford
Psychol Med 33:1039-50. 2003..We designed a brief comprehensive neuropsychological test battery to help differentiate control subjects from patients with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) and dementia...
- The validity and reliability of 6 sets of clinical criteria to classify Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia in cases confirmed post-mortem: added value of a decision tree approachE Hogervorst
Department of Pharmacology, Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Ageing, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 16:170-80. 2003..The DSM-IV and NINCDS-AIREN criteria for VaD showed poor validity and inter-rater reliability. We conclude that the forced use of decision trees through a computerized system enhances the accuracy of the clinical diagnoses of dementia...
- Association of the androgen receptor CAG repeat polymorphism with Alzheimer's disease in menD J Lehmann
Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Ageing, Radcliffe Infirmary, Woodstock Road, Oxford OX2 6HE, UK
Neurosci Lett 340:87-90. 2003..5, 95% confidence intervals: 1.2-5.0) in men, but not in women. This association appeared stronger in early-onset AD (< 65 years). We conclude that this AR polymorphism is of potential relevance to the risk of AD in men...
- The androgen receptor CAG repeat and serum testosterone in the risk of Alzheimer's disease in menD J Lehmann
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:163-4. 2004
- Apolipoprotein E epsilon4 and testosterone interact in the risk of Alzheimer's disease in menE Hogervorst
Oxford Project to Investigate Memory and Ageing, Department of Pharmacology, Radcliffe, Infirmary, Oxford, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17:938-40. 2002..To assess the association between testosterone levels and APOEepsilon4 in cases with AD and controls...
- Cases with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease fail to benefit from repeated exposure to episodic memory tests as compared with controlsA M C Schrijnemaekers
Department of Geriatrics, RIAGG, Roermond, The Netherlands
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 28:438-55. 2006..By contrast, an MCI group showed no benefits of previous exposure to this test. Lack of use of learning strategies on the HVLT may be an important marker of the likelihood of cognitive decline to MCI or dementia...
- Increasing testosterone levels and effects on cognitive functions in elderly men and women: a reviewE Hogervorst
Oxford Project To Investigate Memory and Ageing and Department of Human Sciences, Loughborough University, UK
Curr Drug Targets CNS Neurol Disord 4:531-40. 2005..For elderly women, T treatment does not seem to have additional benefits over estrogen treatment for postmenopausal complaints and cognitive decline and may increase cardiovascular disease...
- Thyroid function, depressed mood, and cognitive performance in older individuals: the Maastricht Aging StudyM P J van Boxtel
European Graduate School of Neuroscience EURON, Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, Maastricht University, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Psychoneuroendocrinology 29:891-8. 2004..Prospective studies are needed to address the role of thyroid function in age-related cognitive decline...
- High tofu intake is associated with worse memory in elderly Indonesian men and womenE Hogervorst
Department of Human Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, UK
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 26:50-7. 2008..Paradoxically, the Honolulu Asia Aging Study reported an increased risk for cognitive impairment and other dementia markers with high tofu (soybean curd) intake...