J N Harvey
Affiliation: University Hospital of Wales
- Understanding why people with type 1 diabetes do not attend for specialist advice: a qualitative analysis of the views of people with insulin-dependent diabetes who do not attend diabetes clinicValerie L Lawson
Wrexham Academic Unit, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Wrexham, UK
J Health Psychol 10:409-23. 2005..These differences should be recognized and suitable approaches developed to ensure that all people with diabetes are able to accept appropriate specialist support...
- Microalbuminuria in Type 2 diabetes indicates impaired microvascular vasomotion and perfusionOle Schmiedel
Diabetic Centre and Academic Unit, Maelor Hospital, University of Wales College of Medicine, Gladstone Centre, Wrexham, UK
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H3424-31. 2007..The results suggest that microalbuminuria in Type 2 diabetes reflects a generalized disturbance of microvascular function related to endothelium-dependent mechanisms...
- Estimation of the prevalence of diagnosed diabetes from primary care and secondary care source data: comparison of record linkage with capture-recapture analysisJ N Harvey
University of Wales, College of Medicine, Wrexham Academic Unit, Maelor Hospital, Wrexham, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 56:18-23. 2002..To assess whole population trends in diabetes prevalence and treatment by comparison with previous studies...
- Preventing cardiovascular disease in diabetesJohn N Harvey
University of Wales College of Medicine
Clin Med 4:311-4. 2004
- The importance of health belief models in determining self-care behaviour in diabetesJ N Harvey
Centre for Endocrinology and Diabetes Sciences, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Diabet Med 26:5-13. 2009..This brief review aims to summarize developments in this area of psychological theory over the last 20 years and the implications for promoting better self-care behaviour in diabetes...
- The long-term renal and retinal outcome of childhood-onset Type 1 diabetesJ N Harvey
University of Wales College of Medicine, Wrexham Academic Unit, Wrexham, UK
Diabet Med 21:26-31. 2004..To quantify the influence of childhood onset on long-term renal and retinal outcome in Type 1 diabetes...
- Trends in the prevalence of diabetic nephropathy in type 1 and type 2 diabetesJohn N Harvey
University of Wales College of Medicine, Wrexham Academmic Unit, Maelor Hospital, Wrexham, UK
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 12:317-22. 2003..To summarize recent trends in the prevalence of nephropathy due to diabetes and to assess the causes of these changes. Such analysis may influence our strategy to reduce the increasing numbers of cases...
- Population-based survey and analysis of trends in the prevalence of diabetic nephropathy in Type 1 diabetesJ N Harvey
University of Wales College of Medicine, Wrexham Academic Unit, Maelor Hospital, Wrexham, UK
Diabet Med 18:998-1002. 2001..To determine the prevalence of the various stages of diabetic nephropathy in Type 1 diabetes in a population-based survey. To make direct comparison with results from previous published studies to assess current trends...
- Towards comprehensive population-based screening for diabetic retinopathy: operation of the North Wales diabetic retinopathy screening programme using a central patient register and various screening methodsJ N Harvey
Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Wales College of Medicine, Wrexham Academic Unit, Maelor Hospital, Wrexham, UK
J Med Screen 13:87-92. 2006..To identify the main barriers to achieving comprehensive population coverage. To analyse referrals to ophthalmology and their outcome as a measure of previously unmet need. To assess the influence of modality of screening...
- Mediation by illness perceptions of the effect of personality and health threat communication on coping with the diagnosis of diabetesV L Lawson
Wrexham Academic Unit, Wales College of Medicine, UK
Br J Health Psychol 15:623-42. 2010....
- The development of personal models of diabetes in the first 2 years after diagnosis: a prospective longitudinal studyV L Lawson
Wales College of Medicine, Wrexham Academic Unit, Wrexham, UK
Diabet Med 25:482-90. 2008....
- Prevalence of ketoacidosis at diagnosis of childhood onset Type 1 diabetes in Wales from 1991 to 2009 and effect of a publicity campaignA J Lansdown
Centre for Endocrine and Diabetes Sciences, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, UK
Diabet Med 29:1506-9. 2012..To determine the proportion of cases of childhood Type 1 diabetes that present with ketoacidosis and any temporal trend. To assess the impact of a publicity campaign promoting earlier diagnosis...
- Diabetes, metformin and lactic acidosisT Scale
Wrexham Academic Unit, Centre for Endocrinology and Diabetes, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Wrexham, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 74:191-6. 2011..We assessed the relationship of metformin prescription and other factors to the incidence of LA...
- The influence of health threat communication and personality traits on personal models of diabetes in newly diagnosed diabetic patientsV L Lawson
Wales College of Medicine, Wrexham Academic Unit, Wrexham, UK
Diabet Med 24:883-91. 2007..Little work has examined potential determinants of personal models...
- Use of cystatin C-based estimations of glomerular filtration rate in patients with type 2 diabetesR A Chudleigh
Diabetes Research Unit, Llandough University Hospital, Penlan Road, Llandough, Penarth, Cardiff, UK
Diabetologia 52:1274-8. 2009..Equations based on cystatin C provide an alternative method. We compared performance of the MDRD equation with a selection of cystatin C-based formulae for estimation of GFR in normoalbuminuric patients with type 2 diabetes...
- The effect of oral folic acid on glutathione, glycaemia and lipids in Type 2 diabetesD F Child
Department of Medicine, Gladstone Centre, Maelor Hospital, Wrexham, North Wales, United Kingdom
Diabetes Nutr Metab 17:95-102. 2004..Reduced Hcy and increased glutathione may both mediate improvement in vascular function and outcome. Some aspects of the response to folate may be different in patients on metformin...
- Using the IPQ and PMDI to predict regular diabetes care-seeking among patients with Type 1 diabetesValerie L Lawson
Wrexham Academic Unit, University of Wales College of Medicine, UK
Br J Health Psychol 9:241-52. 2004....
- Alpha adrenoceptor agonist-induced microcirculatory oscillations are reduced in diabetic neuropathyOle Schmiedel
Diabetes Centre and Academic Unit, Maelor Hospital, University of Wales College of Medicine, Wrexham LL13, UK
Microvasc Res 76:124-31. 2008..The measurement of phenylephrine-induced approxiamtely 0.1-Hz microvascular oscillation may represent a useful non-invasive tool with which to study the effects of treatment strategies on the diabetic small fiber neuropathy...
- How reliable is estimation of glomerular filtration rate at diagnosis of type 2 diabetes?Richard A Chudleigh
Diabetes Research Unit, Llandough Hospital, Penlan Road Penarth, Cardiff CF64 2XX
Diabetes Care 30:300-5. 2007..We compared both estimates with true GFR, measured by the isotopic (51)Cr-EDTA method, in newly diagnosed, treatment-naïve subjects with type 2 diabetes...
- Development of the Diabetes Health Threat Communication Questionnaire (DHTCQ)Valerie L Lawson
Wales College of Medicine, Wrexham Academic Unit, Wrexham, United Kingdom
Patient Educ Couns 67:117-26. 2007....
- Influence of body weight on the performance of glomerular filtration rate estimators in subjects with type 2 diabetesRichard A Chudleigh
Diabetes Research Unit, Llandough Hospital, Penarth, Cardiff, UK
Diabetes Care 31:47-9. 2008
- Folate supplementation reduces serum hsp70 levels in patients with type 2 diabetesClaire Hunter-Lavin
Chester Centre for Stress Research, Department of Biological Sciences, University College Chester, Parkgate Road, Chester, CH1 4BJ, UK
Cell Stress Chaperones 9:344-9. 2004..The data shows that improvement in homocysteine status can lead to a reduction in Hsp70, indicating the possibility of its use as a marker for severity of disease...
- Sodium-lithium countertransport and the Gly460-->Trp alpha-adducin polymorphism in essential hypertensionPaul A Mead
Department of Nephrology, Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle CA2 7HY, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 108:231-6. 2005..The Trp allele was not associated with disease in the population studied. Several cytoskeletal proteins may interact with adducin in the overall phenotype of EH...