Genomes and Genes
Lorna W Harries
Affiliation: University of Exeter
- Harries L, Ellard S, Stride A, Morgan N, Hattersley A. Isomers of the TCF1 gene encoding hepatocyte nuclear factor-1 alpha show differential expression in the pancreas and define the relationship between mutation position and clinical phenotype in monogenic diabetes. Hum Mol Genet. 2006;15:2216-24 pubmed..We conclude that all three isomers may be critical for beta-cell function and could play a role in both the developing and mature beta cell. ..
- Harries L, Sloman M, Sellers E, Hattersley A, Ellard S. Diabetes susceptibility in the Canadian Oji-Cree population is moderated by abnormal mRNA processing of HNF1A G319S transcripts. Diabetes. 2008;57:1978-82 pubmed publisher..A combination of abnormal splicing and reduced activity of the G319S protein may explain the diabetes susceptibility. ..
- Harries L, Perry J, McCullagh P, Crundwell M. Alterations in LMTK2, MSMB and HNF1B gene expression are associated with the development of prostate cancer. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:315 pubmed publisher..The alterations in isoform usage we detect highlights the potential importance of alternative mRNA processing and moderation of mRNA stability as potentially important disease mechanisms. ..
- Latorre E, Birar V, Sheerin A, Jeynes J, Hooper A, Dawe H, et al. Small molecule modulation of splicing factor expression is associated with rescue from cellular senescence. BMC Cell Biol. 2017;18:31 pubmed publisher..Small molecule modulators of such targets may therefore represent promising novel anti-degenerative therapies. ..
- Haque S, Harries L. Circular RNAs (circRNAs) in Health and Disease. Genes (Basel). 2017;8: pubmed publisher..In this review, we explore the state of knowledge on this exciting class of transcripts in regulating gene expression and discuss their emerging role in health and disease. ..
- Harries L, Brown J, Gloyn A. Species-specific differences in the expression of the HNF1A, HNF1B and HNF4A genes. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7855 pubmed publisher..We conclude that alterations to expression of HNF isoforms may underlie some of the phenotypic variation caused by mutations in these genes. ..