Affiliation: University of Newcastle
- Position statement on the provision and procurement of human eggs for stem cell researchErica Haimes
PEALS Policy Ethics and Life Sciences Research Centre, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, UK
Cell Stem Cell 12:285-91. 2013..This position paper lays out the arguments for, and discusses the arrangements in which, a modest payment might be ethically justifiable...
- Researching the relationships between tissue providers, clinicians, and stem cell scientistsErica Haimes
Policy Ethics and Life Sciences PEALS Research Centre, Newcastle University, Fourth Floor, Claremont Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK
Cell Stem Cell 8:613-5. 2011....
- 'Expectations in reproduction: society and the family'Erica Haimes
PEALS Research Institute, Bioscience Centre, International Centre for Life, Times Square, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Hum Fertil (Camb) 8:81-2. 2005
- Sociology, ethics, and the priority of the particular: learning from a case study of genetic deliberationsErica Haimes
PEALS, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Br J Sociol 58:457-76. 2007..Further exploration of this approach leads to suggestions for ways of thinking about the apparently fundamental divides between the disciplines and for ways of adding to notions of a 'public sociology'...
- What is the role of reduced IVF fees in persuading women to volunteer to provide eggs for research? Insights from IVF patients volunteering to a UK 'egg sharing for research' schemeErica Haimes
Policy, Ethics and Life Sciences PEALS Research Centre, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Hum Fertil (Camb) 16:246-51. 2013..In conclusion, reduced fees, although an important factor, do not act as an undue inducement in persuading volunteers to act against their own interests...
- Juggling on a rollercoaster? Gains, loss and uncertainties in IVF patients' accounts of volunteering for a U.K. 'egg sharing for research' schemeErica Haimes
PEALS Policy, Ethics and Life Sciences Research Centre, School of Geography, Politics and Sociology, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, UK
Soc Sci Med 86:45-51. 2013..It also contributes to several areas of wider sociological interest, including debates on the social management of 'uncertainty' and discussions at the interface of sociology and ethics...
- Eggs, ethics and exploitation? Investigating women's experiences of an egg sharing schemeErica Haimes
Policy, Ethics and Life Sciences PEALS Research Centre, Newcastle University, Fourth Floor Claremont Bridge, Newcastle UponTyne, NE1 7RU
Sociol Health Illn 34:1199-214. 2012..Nonetheless, these freely made decisions do not necessarily take place under circumstances of their choosing. We discuss the implications of this for egg provision in general and for understandings of exploitation...
- What can the social sciences contribute to the study of ethics? Theoretical, empirical and substantive considerationsErica Haimes
Department of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, United Kingdom
Bioethics 16:89-113. 2002....
- When transgressions become transparent: limiting family forms in assisted conceptionErica Haimes
Department of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, United Kingdom
J Law Med 9:438-48. 2002..It is also suggested that much formal regulation and clinical practice is directed towards making such transgressions less transparent, thus protecting the practice of assisted conception from unwelcome scrutiny...
- Social and ethical issues in the use of familial searching in forensic investigations: insights from family and kinship studiesErica Haimes
University of Newcastle, UK
J Law Med Ethics 34:263-76. 2006