Affiliation: University of Sheffield
- Shanmugarajah P, Hoggard N, Aeschlimann D, Aeschlimann P, Dennis G, Howell S, et al. Phenytoin-related ataxia in patients with epilepsy: clinical and radiological characteristics. Seizure. 2018;56:26-30 pubmed publisher..Patients on long-term phenytoin have reduced cerebellar volume even if they have no clinical evidence of ataxia. Evidence of structural deficits on imaging suggests a predilection for vermian involvement. ..
- Zis P, Hadjivassiliou M, Rao D. Axillary motor nerve conduction study: Description of technique and provision of normative data. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2018;39:95-98 pubmed publisher..When suspecting an axillary nerve lesion it is always worth performing axillary motor NCS bilaterally and compare the CMAPs. ..
- Hadjivassiliou M, Chattopadhyay A, Grunewald R, Jarratt J, Kandler R, Rao D, et al. Myopathy associated with gluten sensitivity. Muscle Nerve. 2007;35:443-50 pubmed..Myopathy may be another manifestation of gluten sensitivity and is likely to have an immune-mediated pathogenesis. A gluten-free diet may be a useful therapeutic intervention. ..
- Hadjivassiliou M, Wallis L, Hoggard N, Grunewald R, Griffiths P, Wilkinson I. MR spectroscopy and atrophy in Gluten, Friedreich's and SCA6 ataxias. Acta Neurol Scand. 2012;126:138-43 pubmed publisher..Previous work using proton MR spectroscopy ((1)H-MRS) of the cerebellum in the ataxias suggested that (1)H-MRS abnormalities and atrophy do not necessarily occur concurrently...
- Hadjivassiliou M, Aeschlimann P, Sanders D, Maki M, Kaukinen K, Grunewald R, et al. Transglutaminase 6 antibodies in the diagnosis of gluten ataxia. Neurology. 2013;80:1740-5 pubmed publisher..The previous finding of an immunologic response primarily directed against transglutaminase (TG)6 in patients with gluten ataxia (GA) led us to investigate the role of TG6 antibodies in diagnosing GA...
- Hadjivassiliou M, Grunewald R, Sanders D, Shanmugarajah P, Hoggard N. Effect of gluten-free diet on cerebellar MR spectroscopy in gluten ataxia. Neurology. 2017;89:705-709 pubmed publisher..The presence of enteropathy is not a prerequisite for such improvement; therefore patients with positive serology and negative duodenal biopsy should still be treated with strict GFD. ..
- Zis P, Rao D, Sarrigiannis P, Aeschlimann P, Aeschlimann D, Sanders D, et al. Transglutaminase 6 antibodies in gluten neuropathy. Dig Liver Dis. 2017;49:1196-1200 pubmed publisher..This suggests that TG6 involvement is not confined to the central nervous system. The role of transglutaminase 6 in peripheral nerve function remains to be determined but TG6 antibodies may be helpful in the diagnosis of GN. ..