Affiliation: University College London
- Setting up non-commercial clinical trials takes too long in the UK: findings from a prospective studyAllan Hackshaw
Cancer Research, UK
J R Soc Med 101:299-304. 2008..To evaluate the specific components of setting up a simple multicentre clinical study four years after the new UK law on clinical trials was implemented in 2004...
- Long-term effectiveness of adjuvant goserelin in premenopausal women with early breast cancerAllan Hackshaw
Cancer Research UK and UCL Cancer Trials Centre, University College London, 90 Tottenham Court Rd, London W1T 4TJ, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 101:341-9. 2009..Systematic reviews have found that luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) agonists are effective in treating premenopausal women with early breast cancer...
- Long-term benefits of 5 years of tamoxifen: 10-year follow-up of a large randomized trial in women at least 50 years of age with early breast cancerAllan Hackshaw
Cancer Research UK and University College London Cancer Trials Centre, 90 Tottenham Court Rd, London W1T 4TJ United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 29:1657-63. 2011..The Cancer Research UK "Over 50s" trial compared 5 and 2 years of tamoxifen in women with early breast cancer. Results are reported after median follow-up of 10 years...
- Maternal smoking in pregnancy and birth defects: a systematic review based on 173 687 malformed cases and 11.7 million controlsAllan Hackshaw
CRUK and UCL Trials Centre, University College London, 90 Tottenham Court Road, London, UK
Hum Reprod Update 17:589-604. 2011..CONCLUSIONS ; Birth defects that are positively associated with maternal smoking should now be included in public health educational materials to encourage more women to quit before or during pregnancy...
- 131I activity for remnant ablation in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: A systematic reviewAllan Hackshaw
Cancer Research UK and UCL Cancer Trials Centre, University College London, Stephenson House, 158 160 North Gower Street, London NW1 2ND, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:28-38. 2007..Although many centers administer an activity of 100 mCi, there is uncertainty over using a lower activity...
- Luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone (LHRH) agonists in the treatment of breast cancerAllan Hackshaw
University College London, Cancer Research UK and UCL Cancer Trials Centre, 90 Tottenham Court Road, London W1T 4TJ, UK
Expert Opin Pharmacother 10:2633-9. 2009..The main side effects - hot flashes and reduction in bone density - often recede once treatment stops. Ongoing research will provide information about LHRH agonists when used with modern chemotherapy regimens and aromatase inhibitors...
- EUSOMA review of mammography screeningA Hackshaw
Cancer Research UK and UCL Cancer Trials Centre, University College London, London, UK
Ann Oncol 14:1193-5. 2003..Screening programmes for women aged >/=50 years should be part of organised public health programmes. The adverse effects of screening were addressed and performance indicators of programmes were specified...
- Anti-angiogenic therapy using thalidomide combined with chemotherapy in small cell lung cancer: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialSiow Ming Lee
Department of Oncology, University College Hospital, 250 Euston Road, London, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 101:1049-57. 2009..We evaluated thalidomide, an anti-angiogenic agent, when combined with chemotherapy and as maintenance treatment...
- Chemoradiotherapy for locally advanced head and neck cancer: 10-year follow-up of the UK Head and Neck (UKHAN1) trialJeffrey S Tobias
Department of Clinical Oncology, University College Hospital, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 11:66-74. 2010..We aimed to determine whether giving chemotherapy concurrently with radiotherapy or as maintenance therapy, or both, affected clinical outcome. Here we report survival and recurrence after 10 years of follow-up...
- First-line erlotinib in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer unsuitable for chemotherapy (TOPICAL): a double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trialSiow Ming Lee
University College London Cancer Institute and University College London Hospitals, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 13:1161-70. 2012..We investigated whether erlotinib improves clinical outcome in these patients...
- Randomized phase II placebo-controlled trial of maintenance therapy using the oral triple angiokinase inhibitor BIBF 1120 after chemotherapy for relapsed ovarian cancerJonathan A Ledermann
Cancer Research UK and University College London Cancer Trials Centre, UCL Cancer Institute, University College London, 90 Tottenham Court Rd, London W1T 4TJ
J Clin Oncol 29:3798-804. 2011..Inhibiting angiogenesis is one of the most promising avenues for new therapies for ovarian cancer. We investigated the efficacy and safety of a novel agent, BIBF 1120, a triple angiokinase inhibitor, after chemotherapy for relapsed disease...
- Surrogate markers and survival in women receiving first-line combination anthracycline chemotherapy for advanced breast cancerA Hackshaw
Cancer Research UK and UCL Cancer Trials Centre, London, UK
Br J Cancer 93:1215-21. 2005..The other markers, tumour response and progressive disease, were less good...
- Are prophylactic haematopoietic growth factors of value in the management of patients with aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?A Hackshaw
Cancer Research UK and UCL Cancer Trials Centre, Stephenson House, London NW1 2ND, UK
Br J Cancer 90:1302-5. 2004..Alternatively, if the cost could be reduced then all patients may be able to obtain the benefits. However, the evidence that prophylactic HGFs are clinically worthwhile is clear...
- Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of thalidomide in combination with gemcitabine and Carboplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancerSiow Ming Lee
University College Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 27:5248-54. 2009..We hypothesized that thalidomide, an oral antiangiogenic agent, when combined with chemotherapy, and as maintenance treatment, would improve survival in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil, cisplatin and streptozocin for neuroendocrine tumoursN C Turner
Department of Oncology, UCL Medical School, Royal Free Campus, London, UK
Br J Cancer 102:1106-12. 2010..The role of chemotherapy for neuroendocrine tumours remains controversial and there is no standard regimen...
- Adjuvant goserelin in pre-menopausal patients with early breast cancer: Results from the ZIPP studyM Baum
Department of Surgery, University College London, Institute of Surgical Studies, 67 73 Riding House Street, Charles Bell House, London W1W 7EJ, United Kingdom
Eur J Cancer 42:895-904. 2006..81; 95% CI 0.67, 0.99; P = 0.038). Goserelin was well tolerated. These data show that the addition of goserelin to standard adjuvant therapy is more effective than standard therapy alone in pre-menopausal women with early breast cancer...
- A potential new enriching trial design for selecting non-small-cell lung cancer patients with no predictive biomarker for trials based on both histology and early tumor response: further analysis of a thalidomide trialSiow Ming Lee
Department of Oncology, University College London UCL Hospitals and UCL Cancer Institute 250 Euston Road, London, NW1 2PG, United Kingdom
Cancer Med 2:360-6. 2013..Such an approach might be suitable for trials where there are no predictive biomarkers. ..
- Incidence of migraine relative to menstrual cycle phases of rising and falling estrogenE A MacGregor
City of London Migraine Clinic, 22 Charterhouse Square, London, EC1M 6DX, UK
Neurology 67:2154-8. 2006..To investigate the association between urinary hormone levels and migraine, with particular reference to rising and falling levels of estrogen across the menstrual cycle in women with menstrual and menstrually related migraine...
- Fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinoma: prolonged survival with multimodality therapyV Maniaci
Department of Oncology, UCL Medical School, Royal Free Campus, London, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 35:617-21. 2009..We report the clinical outcome for a series of ten patients with fibrolamellar hepatocellular treated with resection followed by close surveillance and aggressive management of relapse...
- Results of the EICESS-92 Study: two randomized trials of Ewing's sarcoma treatment--cyclophosphamide compared with ifosfamide in standard-risk patients and assessment of benefit of etoposide added to standard treatment in high-risk patientsMichael Paulussen
Department of PaediatricHaematology Oncology, University Children s Hospital Munster, Switzerland
J Clin Oncol 26:4385-93. 2008....
- Phase II trial of thalidomide with chemotherapy and as maintenance therapy for patients with poor prognosis small-cell lung cancerSiow Ming Lee
Department of Oncology, University College Hospital, 250 Euston Road, London NW1 2PG, UK
Lung Cancer 59:364-8. 2008..Despite the high response rates achieved following standard chemotherapy for small-cell lung cancer (SCLC), the majority of patients will subsequently die from disease progression...
- Passive smoking: paper does not diminish conclusion of previous reportsAllan Hackshaw
BMJ 327:501-2; author reply 504-5. 2003
- Estimation of risk in second trimester serum screening for Down syndrome among women who have already had first trimester screeningAllan Hackshaw
Prenat Diagn 22:1051-3. 2002