Affiliation: University of Edinburgh
- A cluster of ribosome synthesis factors regulate pre-rRNA folding and 5.8S rRNA maturation by the Rat1 exonucleaseSander Granneman
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology and Centre for Systems Biology at Edinburgh, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland
EMBO J 30:4006-19. 2011..We predict that Nop4 and the A(3) cluster establish long-range interactions between the 5.8S and 25S rRNAs, which are subsequently maintained by ribosomal protein binding...
- Proofreading of pre-40S ribosome maturation by a translation initiation factor and 60S subunitsSimon Lebaron
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Nat Struct Mol Biol 19:744-53. 2012..We propose that recruitment of 60S subunits promotes GTP hydrolysis by Fun12, leading to structural rearrangements within the pre-40S particle that bring Nob1 and the pre-rRNA cleavage site together...
- Cracking pre-40S ribosomal subunit structure by systematic analyses of RNA-protein cross-linkingSander Granneman
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
EMBO J 29:2026-36. 2010..Nob1 binds before pre-rRNA cleavage, and we conclude that structural reorganization is needed to bring together the catalytic PIN domain and its target...
- Identification of protein binding sites on U3 snoRNA and pre-rRNA by UV cross-linking and high-throughput analysis of cDNAsSander Granneman
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, University of Edinburgh, Michael Swann Building, Kings Buildings, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JR, Scotland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:9613-8. 2009..This finding demonstrates that the snoRNP proteins directly contact the pre-rRNA substrate, suggesting roles in snoRNA recruitment. The techniques reported here should be widely applicable to analyses of RNA-protein interactions...
- The nuclear RNA polymerase II surveillance system targets polymerase III transcriptsWiebke Wlotzka
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
EMBO J 30:1790-803. 2011..Surveillance targets were enriched for non-encoded A-rich tails. These were generally very short (1–5 nt), potentially explaining why adenylation destabilizes these RNAs while stabilizing mRNAs with long poly(A) tails...
- Building ribosomes: even more expensive than expected?Sander Granneman
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Road, Kings Buildings, Michael Swann Building, Edinburgh EH9 3JR, Scotland, UK
Curr Biol 17:R415-7. 2007..Recent quantitative analyses of ribosomal protein trafficking in HeLa cells have revealed a prominent and unexpected role for the proteasome in regulating the availability of ribosomal proteins for subunit assembly...