Affiliation: University of Birmingham
- Do changes in pulse oximeter oxygen saturation predict equivalent changes in arterial oxygen saturation?Gavin D Perkins
Intensive Care Unit, Birmingham Heartlands and Solihull NHS Trust Teaching, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Crit Care 7:R67. 2003....
- Discrepancies between clinical and postmortem diagnoses in critically ill patients: an observational studyGavin D Perkins
Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Intensive Care Unit, Birmingham Heartlands and Solihull NHS Trust Teaching, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Crit Care 7:R129-32. 2003..The present study was conducted to determine whether the autopsy still has a role to play in extending knowledge about the cause of death in a group of patients who died while receiving intensive care...
- Statins and sepsisF Gao
Academic Department of Anaesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain, Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, University of Warwick, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Bordesley Green East, Birmingham B9 5SS, UK
Br J Anaesth 100:288-98. 2008....
- Bench-to-bedside review: beta2-Agonists and the acute respiratory distress syndromeGavin D Perkins
Consultant, Intensive Care Unit, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Crit Care 8:25-32. 2004..The present review examines the evidence supporting a role for beta2-agonists as a specific pharmacological intervention in patients with ARDS...
- The impact of compliance with 6-hour and 24-hour sepsis bundles on hospital mortality in patients with severe sepsis: a prospective observational studyFang Gao
Critical Care Unit, Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust Teaching, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Bordesley Green East, Birmingham B9 5SS, UK
Crit Care 9:R764-70. 2005..The aims of the present study were to determine the rate of compliance with 6-hour and 24-hour sepsis bundles and to determine the impact of the compliance on hospital mortality in patients with severe sepsis or septic shock...
- The beta agonist lung injury trial prevention. A randomized controlled trialGavin D Perkins
1 Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, Bordesley Green East, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 189:674-83. 2014..Experimental studies suggest that pretreatment with β-agonists might prevent acute lung injury (ALI)...
- Beta Agonist Lung Injury TrIal-2 (BALTI-2) trial protocol: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled of intravenous infusion of salbutamol in the acute respiratory distress syndromeGavin D Perkins
University of Warwick, Warwick Medical School Clinical Trials Unit, Warwick, CV4 7AL, UK
Trials 12:113. 2011....
- Factors affecting team leadership skills and their relationship with quality of cardiopulmonary resuscitationJoyce H Y Yeung
Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Crit Care Med 40:2617-21. 2012..This study aims to explore the relationship between team-leadership skills and quality of cardiopulmonary resuscitation in an adult cardiac-arrest simulation. Factors affecting team-leadership skills were also assessed...
- Role of nonbronchoscopic lavage for investigating alveolar inflammation and permeability in acute respiratory distress syndromeGavin D Perkins
Intensive Care Unit, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Crit Care Med 34:57-64. 2006....
- The effect of real-time CPR feedback and post event debriefing on patient and processes focused outcomes: a cohort study: trial protocolGavin D Perkins
Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, Bordesley Green East, Birmingham, B9 5SS, UK
Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med 19:58. 2011..The CPR quality improvement initiative is a prospective cohort study of the Q-CPR real-time feedback device combined with post-event debriefing in hospitalised adult patients who sustain a cardiac arrest...
- Safety and tolerability of nonbronchoscopic lavage in ARDSGavin D Perkins
MB ChB, Clinical Research Block, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK, B15 2TT
Chest 127:1358-63. 2005..This study compared the safety profiles of bronchoscopic lavage with nonbronchoscopic lavage in the investigation of patients with acute lung injury (ALI) or ARDS...
- The beta-agonist lung injury trial (BALTI): a randomized placebo-controlled clinical trialGavin D Perkins
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:281-7. 2006..Experimental data suggest that manipulation of alveolar fluid clearance with beta-agonists can accelerate the resolution of alveolar edema and improve survival...
- A comparison between over-the-head and standard cardiopulmonary resuscitationGavin D Perkins
Intensive Care Unit, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Bordesley Green East, Birmingham, B9 5SS, UK
Resuscitation 61:155-61. 2004..The aim of this study was to investigate the technique of over-the-head CPR (OTH CPR), where the CPR provider kneels above the casualty and performs chest compressions OTH of the casualty...
- The Beta Agonist Lung Injury TrIal (BALTI)--prevention trial protocolGavin D Perkins
University of Warwick, Warwick Medical School Clinical Trials Unit, Warwick CV4 7AL, UK
Trials 12:79. 2011....
- Type XVIII collagen degradation products in acute lung injuryGavin D Perkins
Lung Injury and Fibrosis Treatment Program LIFT, Department of Medical Sciences, The Medical School University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Crit Care 13:R52. 2009....
- The impact of airway management on quality of cardiopulmonary resuscitation: An observational study in patients during cardiac arrestJoyce Yeung
Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham B9 5SS, United Kingdom University of Birmingham, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Resuscitation 85:898-904. 2014..The aim of this study was to determine the effect of advanced airway use on the no flow ratio and other measures of CPR quality...
- Early change in blood glucose concentration is an indicator of mortality in critically ill childrenPrabhakar P Nayak
Department of Paediatric Intensive Care Medicine, Birmingham Children s Hospital Foundation NHS Trust, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham, B4 6NH, UK
Intensive Care Med 39:123-8. 2013..By exploring the longitudinal BG profile of individual children over time, this study investigates the importance of intact homeostasis early after admission to the paediatric intensive care unit (PICU)...
- Basic life support providers' assessment of centre of the chest and inter-nipple line for hand position and their underlying anatomical structuresJoyce Yeung
University of Warwick, Warwick Medical School, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK
Resuscitation 82:190-4. 2011....
- A randomised control trial of prompt and feedback devices and their impact on quality of chest compressions--a simulation studyJoyce Yeung
Academic Department of Critical Care, Anaesthesia and Pain, Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust, Birmingham B9 5SS, UK University of Birmingham, College of Medical and Dental Studies, B15 2TT, UK
Resuscitation 85:553-9. 2014..This study aims to compare the effect of three CPR prompt and feedback devices on quality of chest compressions amongst healthcare providers...
- Do different mattresses affect the quality of cardiopulmonary resuscitation?Gavin D Perkins
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, B9 5SS, Birmingham, UK
Intensive Care Med 29:2330-5. 2003..To determine the effect of different mattresses on cardiopulmonary resuscitation performance and establish whether emergency deflation of an inflatable mattress improves the quality of resuscitation...
- A study of the relationship between environmental contamination with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and patients' acquisition of MRSAKatherine J Hardy
West Midlands Public Health Laboratory, Health Protection Agency, Heartlands Hospital, Bordesley Green East, Birmingham, B9 5SS, UK
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 27:127-32. 2006..The study aimed to examine the presence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in the environment and its relationship to patients' acquisition of MRSA...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor promotes physical wound repair and is anti-apoptotic in primary distal lung epithelial and A549 cellsJonathan R Roberts
Lung Injury and Fibrosis Treatment Program, Department of Medical Sciences, The Medical School University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Crit Care Med 35:2164-70. 2007..This study tested the hypothesis that VEGF acts as an autocrine trophic factor for human adult alveolar epithelial cells and that under situations of pro-apoptotic stress, VEGF reduces cell death...
- The use of CPR feedback/prompt devices during training and CPR performance: A systematic reviewJoyce Yeung
University of Warwick, UK
Resuscitation 80:743-51. 2009..In lay persons and health care providers performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), does the use of CPR feedback/prompt devices when compared to no device improve CPR skill acquisition, retention, and real life performance?..
- UK pneumonectomy outcome study (UKPOS): a prospective observational study of pneumonectomy outcomeEllie S Powell
Heart of England NHS Trust, Birmingham, UK
J Cardiothorac Surg 4:41. 2009..Current UK practice for pneumonectomy was observed to note patient and treatment factors associated with major complications...