Affiliation: University College London
- S-nitrosation of mitochondrial complex I depends on its structural conformationAlexander Galkin
Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research, University College London, London, UK
J Biol Chem 282:37448-53. 2007..The implications of this finding for hypoxic or pathophysiological conditions in vivo are discussed...
- Lack of oxygen deactivates mitochondrial complex I: implications for ischemic injury?Alexander Galkin
Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research, University College London, Gower Street, London, UK
J Biol Chem 284:36055-61. 2009..These observations provide a mechanism to account for the severe cell injury that follows hypoxia and reoxygenation when accompanied by NO generation...
- Superoxide radical formation by pure complex I (NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase) from Yarrowia lipolyticaAlexander Galkin
, Fachbereich Medizin, Zentrum der Biologischen Chemie, D-60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:30129-35. 2005..From the effect of different ubiquinone derivatives and pH on this side reaction of complex I we concluded that oxygen accepts electrons from FMNH2 or FMN semiquinone either directly or via more hydrophilic ubiquinone derivatives...
- Identification of the mitochondrial ND3 subunit as a structural component involved in the active/deactive enzyme transition of respiratory complex IAlexander Galkin
Molecular Bioenergetics Group, Cluster of Excellence Frankfurt Macromolecular Complexes, Medical School, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Biol Chem 283:20907-13. 2008..In fact, mutations in three positions of the loop were previously reported to cause Leigh syndrome with and without dystonia or progressive mitochondrial disease...
- HDQ (1-hydroxy-2-dodecyl-4(1H)quinolone), a high affinity inhibitor for mitochondrial alternative NADH dehydrogenase: evidence for a ping-pong mechanismAndrea Eschemann
, Fachbereich Medizin, , Frankfurt am Main D-60490, Germany
J Biol Chem 280:3138-42. 2005..We found that the kinetics of alternative NADH dehydrogenase follow a ping-pong mechanism. This suggests that NADH and the ubiquinone headgroup interact with the same binding pocket in an alternating fashion...
- Proton pumping by complex I (NADH:ubiquinone oxidoreductase) from Yarrowia lipolytica reconstituted into proteoliposomesStefan Dröse
Universitat Frankfurt, Fachbereich Medizin, Molekulare Bioenergetik, Theodor Stern Kai 7, Haus 26, D 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1710:87-95. 2005..While this study was not specifically designed to demonstrate possible additional sodium translocating properties of complex I, we did not find indications for primary or secondary Na+ translocation by Y. lipolytica complex I...
- The Redox-Bohr group associated with iron-sulfur cluster N2 of complex IKlaus Zwicker
, Zentrum der Biologischen Chemie, Molekulare Bioenergetik, D-60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Biol Chem 281:23013-7. 2006..This finding has significant implications on the discussion about possible proton pumping mechanism for complex I...
- The proton pumping stoichiometry of purified mitochondrial complex I reconstituted into proteoliposomesAlexander Galkin
, Fachbereich Medizin, Zentrum der Biologischen Chemie, Molekulare Bioenergetik, Theodor-Stern-Kai 7, Haus 26, D-60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1757:1575-81. 2006..6H(+)/2e . This is the first demonstration that the proton pump of complex I stayed fully functional after purification of the enzyme...
- Nitric oxide and hypoxiaAlexander Galkin
The Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research, The Cruciform Building, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, U K
Essays Biochem 43:29-42. 2007..This chapter discusses the physiological and pathophysiological implications of the interactions of NO with the cytochrome c oxidase...