Affiliation: University of Dundee
- Systemic antibodies towards mucosal bacteria in ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease differentially activate the innate immune responseE Furrie
MRC Microbiology and Gut Biology Group, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee, UK
Gut 53:91-8. 2004..This would provide an explanation for this chronic inflammatory condition...
- Synbiotic therapy (Bifidobacterium longum/Synergy 1) initiates resolution of inflammation in patients with active ulcerative colitis: a randomised controlled pilot trialE Furrie
Microbiology and Gut Biology Group, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Gut 54:242-9. 2005..Therefore, modulation of bacterial communities on the gut mucosa, through the use of probiotics and prebiotics, may be used to modify the disease state...
- A molecular revolution in the study of intestinal microfloraE Furrie
Department of Immunology, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Gut 55:141-3. 2006..The combination of metagenomics and subsequent quantitation of each identified species using molecular techniques allows the relatively rapid analysis of whole bacterial populations in human health and disease...
- Mucosal bacteria in ulcerative colitisS Macfarlane
Microbiology and Gut Biology Group, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Br J Nutr 93:S67-72. 2005..Results demonstrated that short-term synbiotic treatment resulted in increased bifidobacterial colonisation of the rectal mucosa and induced significant reductions in the expression of molecules that control inflammation in active UC...
- Identification and quantitation of mucosal and faecal desulfovibrios using real time polymerase chain reactionA Fite
MRC Microbiology and Gut Biology Group, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Gut 53:523-9. 2004..These bacteria have previously been linked to ulcerative colitis. Traditional methods of culturing these organisms are slow, and often unreliable, while molecular approaches are either non-quantitative or lack sensitivity...
- Bacterial milieu and mucosal bacteria in ulcerative colitisG T Macfarlane
University of Dundee MRC Microbiology and Gut Biology Group, Ninewells Hospital Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Novartis Found Symp 263:57-64; discussion 64-70, 211-8. 2004....
- Oral vaccination with immune stimulating complexesA M Mowat
Department of Immunology, University of Glasgow, Western Infirmary, Scotland, UK
Immunol Lett 65:133-40. 1999..This pathway may be amenable to exploitation for vaccine development, especially if combined with another vector with a different mucosal adjuvant profile, such as cholera toxin...