Affiliation: University of Nottingham
- Regulatory opportunities to encourage technology solutions to antibacterial drug resistanceRoger Finch
Nottingham University Hospitals, Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, The Clinical Sciences Building, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG51PB, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:1945-7. 2011....
- Report of working group 2: healthcare needs in the organisation and management of infectionR Finch
University of Nottingham, The City Hospital NHS Trust, Nottingham, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 11:41-5. 2005..The importance of this topic led to a recommendation that an ESCMID working party be established to investigate the current arrangements of infection services in Europe and to make recommendations for the future organisation...
- Educational interventions to improve antibiotic use in the community: report from the International Forum on Antibiotic Resistance (IFAR) colloquium, 2002Roger G Finch
Nottingham City Hospital and University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 4:44-53. 2004..Current research aims include the application of behaviour-change models, the development and validation of prudent antibiotic prescribing standards, and the refinement of tools to assess educational interventions...
- A critical assessment of published guidelines and other decision-support systems for the antibiotic treatment of community-acquired respiratory tract infectionsRoger G Finch
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, The City Hospital, and University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 8:69-91. 2002..Rapid, cost-effective diagnostic techniques are also required and new antibiotics will continue to have a role in disease management...
- Bacterial resistance--the clinical challengeR Finch
City Hospital and University of Nottingham, Clinical Sciences Building, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 8:21-32; discussion 33-5. 2002..Frequently the prescriber does not have ready access to the most appropriate data. Integrated strategies to control resistance are urgently needed, as are improved rapid diagnostic facilities...
- Randomized controlled trial of sequential intravenous (i.v.) and oral moxifloxacin compared with sequential i.v. and oral co-amoxiclav with or without clarithromycin in patients with community-acquired pneumonia requiring initial parenteral treatmentR Finch
Nottingham City Hospital, Nottingham Bayer plc, Newbury, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1746-54. 2002....
- Community-acquired pneumonia: the evolving challengeR Finch
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, The City Hospital, Nottingham, UK
Clin Microbiol Infect 7:30-8. 2001..A once-daily oral dose of telithromycin 800 mg for 7-10 days produces clinical and bacteriological success rates > 90% and equivalent to standard comparator agents, whilst maintaining efficacy against resistant pathogens...
- Antibiotic resistance--action to promote new technologies: report of an EU Intergovernmental Conference held in Birmingham, UK, 12-13 December 2005R Finch
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Molecular Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences Building, University of Nottingham and Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust City Hospital Campus Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 58:i3-i22. 2006..Modifications to the international regulatory requirements for drug licensing could have a major impact on the time and thus the costs of developing new agents...
- The effects of exposure at constant (1 h) or exponentially decreasing concentrations of quinupristin/dalfopristin on biofilms of Gram-positive bacteriaS Gander
Division of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, School of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, University of Nottingham, The City Hospital, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 46:61-7. 2000..However, there were no significant differences in the effects, inhibitory/ bactericidal or recovery times, produced by the two methods of exposure. The two glycopeptides showed a surprising lack of activity...
- Antibiotic resistance: a view from the prescriberRoger G Finch
Nottingham City Hospital NHS Trust, Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Clinical Sciences Building, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Nat Rev Microbiol 2:989-94. 2004..Remedies necessary for improvements in prudent prescribing include better guidance in managing specific diseases where resistance is of prognostic significance and also increasing diagnostic precision...
- Antimicrobial drug resistance, regulation, and researchJoshua P Metlay
VA Medical Center, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 12:183-90. 2006..Recent consultations and collaborations between regulators, academics, and industry are welcome. Efforts to coordinate regulatory measures would benefit from greater levels of international dialogue...
- Fusidic acid cream for impetigo. Emergence of resistance to fusidic acid limits its useVivienne C Weston
BMJ 324:1394. 2002
- Penicillin-resistant pneumococci-implications for management of community-acquired pneumonia and meningitisHisham M Ziglam
Nottingham City Hospital, Nottingham, UK
Int J Infect Dis 6:S14-20. 2002..This article reviews current concepts of epidemiology and the implications of penicillin-nonsusceptible pneumococci for management of community-acquired pneumonia and meningitis...