Affiliation: University of Sheffield
- Upper thoracic spinal fractures in trauma patients - a diagnostic pitfallE J van Beek
Department of Radiology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Injury 31:219-23. 2000..Upper thoracic spinal fractures are easily missed in patients with multiple injuries. In patients with neurological symptoms CT and/or MRI is required as soon as the general condition of the patient permits this...
- Clinical validity of a normal pulmonary angiogram in patients with suspected pulmonary embolism--a critical reviewE J van Beek
Section of Academic Radiology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Clin Radiol 56:838-42. 2001..To determine the validity of a normal pulmonary angiogram in the exclusion of pulmonary embolism (PE), based on the safety of withholding anticoagulant therapy in patients with a normal pulmonary angiogram...
- Hyperpolarized 3-helium MR imaging of the lungs: testing the concept of a central production facilityE J R Van Beek
Unit of Academic Radiology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Eur Radiol 13:2583-6. 2003..The feasibility of a central production facility for hyperpolarized 3-helium was demonstrated. This should enable a wider distribution of gas for this novel technology without the need for local start-up costs...
- MRI for the diagnosis of pulmonary embolismEdwin J R van Beek
Unit of Academic Radiology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
J Magn Reson Imaging 18:627-40. 2003..As will be demonstrated, some of these techniques are now entering the clinical arena, and it is anticipated that MR imaging (MRI) will have an increasing role in the initial diagnosis and follow-up of patients with acute PE...
- MR imaging of the lungs with hyperpolarized helium-3 gas transported by airJ M Wild
Academic Unit of Radiology, University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, UK
Phys Med Biol 47:N185-90. 2002..In this study, the feasibility of transporting large quantities of HP gas for in vivo MR imaging from a remote production facility in Mainz, Germany, by airfreight to Sheffield, UK, was successfully demonstrated...