J C Fairbank
Affiliation: University of Oxford
- The Oswestry Disability IndexJ C Fairbank
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:2940-52; discussion 2952. 2000..This review is based on publications using the ODI identified from the authors' personal databases, the Science Citation Index, and hand searches of Spine and current textbooks of spinal disorders...
- Treatment of chronic back pain by sensory discrimination training. A Phase I RCT of a novel device (FairMed) vs. TENSKaren L Barker
Physiotherapy Research Unit, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre NHS Trust, Oxford, OX3 7LD, UK
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 9:97. 2008..As a result a device was generated to deliver sensory discrimination training (FairMed), and this randomised controlled trial compared therapeutic effects with a comparable treatment modality, TENS...
- Randomised controlled trial to compare surgical stabilisation of the lumbar spine with an intensive rehabilitation programme for patients with chronic low back pain: the MRC spine stabilisation trialJeremy Fairbank
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford OX3 7LD
BMJ 330:1233. 2005..To assess the clinical effectiveness of surgical stabilisation (spinal fusion) compared with intensive rehabilitation for patients with chronic low back pain...
- Historical perspective: William Adams, the forward bending test, and the spine of Gideon Algernon MantellJeremy Fairbank
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford, UK
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:1953-5. 2004..His understanding of the nature of the rotational element of scoliosis was given by a postmortem he performed on an eminent surgeon and geologist, Gideon Mantell. The clinical history of Dr. Mantell is well documented...
- Clinical importance of the intervertebral disc, or back pain for biochemistsJ Fairbank
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford OX3 7LD, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 30:829-31. 2002..The literature on back pain is enormous, so I have made no attempt to select even a small part of it for this article...
- Comments on "Discriminative validity and responsiveness of the Oswestry disability index among Japanese outpatients with lumbar conditions"Jeremy C T Fairbank
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Windmill Road, OX3 7LD, Headington, Oxford, UK
Eur Spine J 15:1651. 2006
- Oxygen and lactate concentrations measured in vivo in the intervertebral discs of patients with scoliosis and back painE M Bartels
Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1-7; discussion 8. 1998..Lactate concentration profiles were measured in 12 of these discs. The discs were graded for degeneration by magnetic resonance imaging and histology where possible...
- Intervertebral disc composition in neuromuscular scoliosis: changes in cell density and glycosaminoglycan concentration at the curve apexM R Urban
Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:610-7. 2001..The decrease in cell density was not associated with major changes in tissue composition, possibly because rates of degradation and of synthesis were reduced, leaving the matrix largely unchanged...
- Responsiveness of objective, disease-specific, and generic outcome measures in patients with chronic low back pain: an assessment for improving, stable, and deteriorating patientsHelen Campbell
Health Economics Research Centre, Department of Public Health, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:815-22. 2006..Analysis of outcome data collected prospectively from 250 patients recruited to the UK Spine Stabilization Trial...
- Microfibrils, elastin fibres and collagen fibres in the human intervertebral disc and bovine tail discJing Yu
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, UK
J Anat 210:460-71. 2007..The results of this study suggest the microfibrillar network of the annulus may play a mechanical role while that around the cells of the nucleus may be more involved in regulating cell function...
- The MRC spine stabilization trial: surgical methods, outcomes, costs, and complications of surgical stabilizationJames Wilson-MacDonald
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Headington, Oxford, UK
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2334-40. 2008..A review of the surgical costs and results in a group of patients randomly allocated to surgery as part of a large prospective randomized trial of patients with chronic back pain...
- Early detection of progression in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis by measurement of changes in back shape with the Integrated Shape Imaging System scannerT N Theologis
Nuffield Orthopaedic Center, Oxford, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:1223-7; discussion 1228. 1997..Serial Integrated Shape Imaging System scanning has advantages over serial radiography in the management of idiopathic scoliosis in addition to the avoidance of exposure to ionizing radiation...
- The internal pressure and stress environment of the scoliotic intervertebral disc--a reviewA Meir
Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Oxford, UK
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 222:209-19. 2008..Future advances in understanding may rely on the development of computer models owing to the difficulties of in-vivo invasive measurements...
- The diagnosis and management of infection following instrumented spinal fusionIona Collins
Department of Spinal Surgery, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Windmill Rd, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LD, UK
Eur Spine J 17:445-50. 2008..Propionibacteria are a common cause of infection and successful eradication of infection cannot be reliably achieved with antibiotics and wound debridement alone...
- Nutrition of the intervertebral discJill P G Urban
Physiology Laboratory, Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2700-9. 2004..A review of the literature on disc nutrition...
- Cell viability in scoliotic discs in relation to disc deformity and nutrient levelsSusan R S Bibby
Laboratory of Physiology, University of Oxford, UK
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2220-8; discussion 2227-8. 2002..Intervertebral disc tissue was analyzed during or removed at routine surgery for correction of scoliosis. Tissue was analyzed for glucose, lactate, oxygen, glycosaminoglycan, collagen concentrations, and cell viability...
- William Adams and the spine of Gideon Algernon MantellJeremy C T Fairbank
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 86:349-52. 2004
- Cell viability and the physical environment in the scoliotic intervertebral discSusan R S Bibby
Physiology Laboratory, Oxford University, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
Stud Health Technol Inform 91:419-21. 2002
- The elastic fiber network of the anulus fibrosus of the normal and scoliotic human intervertebral discJing Yu
University Laboratory of Physiology, Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1815-20. 2005..Immunohistochemical study of elastic fibers in human intervertebral discs (IVD) collected at surgery from patients with scoliosis...
- Use and abuse of Oswestry Disability IndexJeremy C T Fairbank
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2787-9. 2007
- The reliability of the Shuttle Walking Test, the Swiss Spinal Stenosis Questionnaire, the Oxford Spinal Stenosis Score, and the Oswestry Disability Index in the assessment of patients with lumbar spinal stenosisRoland K Pratt
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Headington, Oxford, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:84-91. 2002....
- Aneurysmal bone cyst as a rare cause of spinal cord compression in a young childSunny D Deo
Great Western Hospital, Swindon, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:E80-2. 2005..Case report...