Ian G Cowell
Affiliation: University of Newcastle
- Self-association of chromo domain peptidesI G Cowell
Department of Biochemistry and Genetics, Medical School, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1337:198-206. 1997....
- Histone deacetylase inhibition redistributes topoisomerase IIβ from heterochromatin to euchromatinIan G Cowell
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Nucleus 2:61-71. 2011..We suggest that this redistribution of topoIIβ converts this isoform of topoII to a effective relevant target for topoisomerase poisons...
- gammaH2AX foci form preferentially in euchromatin after ionising-radiationIan G Cowell
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 2:e1057. 2007..However, we observed an apparently uneven distribution of gammaH2AX foci following X-irradiation with regions of the nucleus devoid of foci...
- Sensitization of breast carcinoma cells to ionizing radiation by small molecule inhibitors of DNA-dependent protein kinase and ataxia telangiectsia mutatedIan G Cowell
Northern Institute for Cancer Research, Paul O Gorman Building, Medical School, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
Biochem Pharmacol 71:13-20. 2005..However, simultaneous treatment with both compounds dramatically reduced gammaH2AX focus intensity, consistent with the reported role of ATM and DNA-PK in IR induced phosphorylation of H2AX...
- Preclinical evaluation of a potent novel DNA-dependent protein kinase inhibitor NU7441Yan Zhao
Northern Institute for Cancer Research, Medical School, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 66:5354-62. 2006..In conclusion, NU7441 shows sufficient proof of principle through in vitro and in vivo chemosensitization and radiosensitization to justify further development of DNA-PK inhibitors for clinical use...
- MRE11 facilitates the removal of human topoisomerase II complexes from genomic DNAKa Cheong Lee
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, The Medical School, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Biol Open 1:863-73. 2012..In K562 cells inhibition of MRE11, PARP or replication increased topoisomerase IIα and β complex levels formed in the absence of an anti-topoisomerase II drug...
- Differential selection of acridine resistance mutations in human DNA topoisomerase IIbeta is dependent on the acridine structureChrysoula Leontiou
The Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, The Medical School, Newcastle University, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, United Kingdom
Mol Pharmacol 71:1006-14. 2007..Here, we compare the drug resistance profile of all nine mutations and report the biochemical characterization of three, betaG550R, betaY606C, and betaD661N...
- An overview of the visualisation and quantitation of low and high MW DNA adducts using the trapped in agarose DNA immunostaining (TARDIS) assayIan G Cowell
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Medical School, Catherine Cookson Building, Framlington Place, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, UK
Mutagenesis 26:253-60. 2011..Here, we give a perspective of the TARDIS assay including a comparison with other methods for quantifying topoisomerase-DNA covalent complexes and provide technical details required to set up and perform the assay...
- Model for MLL translocations in therapy-related leukemia involving topoisomerase IIβ-mediated DNA strand breaks and gene proximityIan G Cowell
Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biosciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:8989-94. 2012....
- Mechanism of generation of therapy related leukemia in response to anti-topoisomerase II agentsIan G Cowell
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear NE2 4HH, UK
Int J Environ Res Public Health 9:2075-91. 2012....
- DNA-dependent protein kinase is a therapeutic target and an indicator of poor prognosis in B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemiaElaine Willmore
Northern Institute for Cancer Research, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Clin Cancer Res 14:3984-92. 2008..We hypothesized that inhibiting DNA-PK would sensitize CLL cells to drug-induced DNA damage and that this approach could increase the therapeutic index of agents used to treat CLL...
- Nuclear distribution of human DNA topoisomerase IIbeta: a nuclear targeting signal resides in the 116-residue C-terminal tailI G Cowell
The Medical School, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, United Kingdom
Exp Cell Res 243:232-40. 1998..Further analysis revealed that the nuclear localization determinant lies within the 116-residue C-terminal tail of human topoisomerase IIbeta...
- Human topoisomerase IIalpha and IIbeta interact with the C-terminal region of p53I G Cowell
School of Biochemistry and Genetics, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH, United Kingdom
Exp Cell Res 255:86-94. 2000..Furthermore, we show that the regulatory C-terminal basic region of p53 (residues 364-393) is necessary and sufficient for interaction with DNA topo II...
- NK314, a topoisomerase II inhibitor that specifically targets the alpha isoformEriko Toyoda
International Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Yokohama City University, 22 2 Seto, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama, Japan
J Biol Chem 283:23711-20. 2008..We also suggest that a series of human knock-out cell lines are useful in assessing DNA damage and repair induced by potential topoisomerase-targeting agents...
- The Ki-67 protein interacts with members of the heterochromatin protein 1 (HP1) family: a potential role in the regulation of higher-order chromatin structureThomas Scholzen
Division of Molecular Immunology, Research Center Borstel, D 23845 Borstel, Germany
J Pathol 196:135-44. 2002..Taken together, the data presented in this study suggest a role for pKi-67 in the control of higher-order chromatin structure...
- Loss of heterochromatin protein 1 (HP1) chromodomain function in mammalian cells by intracellular antibodies causes cell deathIlaria Filesi
Department of Neuroscience, University of Roma Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133 Rome, Italy
J Cell Sci 115:1803-13. 2002....
- Heterochromatin, HP1 and methylation at lysine 9 of histone H3 in animalsIan G Cowell
Division of Gene Expression and Development, The Roslin Institute Edinburgh, Midlothian, UK
Chromosoma 111:22-36. 2002..Finally, we provide evidence that Me9H3 is neither necessary nor sufficient for localisation of heterochromatin protein 1 (HP1) to chromosomal DNA...
- E4BP4/NFIL3, a PAR-related bZIP factor with many rolesIan G Cowell
Department of Gene Expression and Development, The Roslin Institute Edinburgh, Roslin, Midlothian Scotland EH25 9PS
Bioessays 24:1023-9. 2002..This article will cover the unfolding role/s of and regulation of E4BP4, E4BP4-like proteins and PAR factors in species as diverse as mouse and C. elegans...