Affiliation: University of Manchester
- The role of implant surface modifications, shape and material on the success of osseointegrated dental implants. A Cochrane systematic reviewMarco Esposito
Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 13:15-31. 2005..There were minor statistically significant differences for peri-implant bone level changes. Turned surfaces had a 20% reduction in risk of being affected by perimplantitis over a 3-year period...
- Inter-examiner and intra-examiner reliability of the measurement of marginal bone loss around oral implantsSalah Sakka
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
Implant Dent 14:386-8. 2005..998 for B vs B). These results showed that a handheld magnifier could be used as a simple, reliable, and reproducible method for measuring bone loss around oral implants...
- Prevention. Part 5: Preventive strategies for patients requiring osseointegrated oral implant treatmentP Coulthard
Head of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Dental Hospital of Manchester
Br Dent J 195:187-94. 2003..This paper describes preventative strategies for the planning stage for implant treatment and the later maintenance period and indicates the level of scientific evidence supporting these strategies...
- Gait analysis as a correlate of pain induced by carrageenan intraplantar injectionPaul Coulthard
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Dental Hospital of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester M15 6FH, UK
J Neurosci Methods 128:95-102. 2003..It is suggested that gait analysis may be a suitable method for measuring early behavioural change associated with inflammatory hyperalgesia...
- Intraoperative local anaesthesia for paediatric postoperative oral surgery pain--a randomized controlled trialP Coulthard
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:1114-9. 2006..Reasons may include unfamiliarity with altered orofacial sensation...
- Therapeutic use of hyperbaric oxygen for irradiated dental implant patients: a systematic reviewPaul Coulthard
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Dental Hospital of Manchester, England, UK
J Dent Educ 67:64-8. 2003..There is a need for RCTs to determine the effectiveness of HBO...
- Gait analysis as an objective measure in a chronic pain modelPaul Coulthard
University Dental Hospital of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester, M15 6FH, UK
J Neurosci Methods 116:197-213. 2002..These behavioural changes were significant at a very early stage (day 10), before the development of physical deformities and increase in paw volume and might permit an earlier detection of pain than other models...
- Pain control with paracetamol from a sustained release formulation and a standard release formulation after third molar surgery: a randomised controlled trialP Coulthard
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Dental Hospital of Manchester
Br Dent J 191:319-24. 2001..To compare the analgesic efficacy and safety of a sustained release (SR) paracetamol formulation (Panadol Extend) with a standard immediate release (IR) formulation (Panadol) after third molar surgery...
- Behavioural measurement of postoperative pain after oral surgeryP Coulthard
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Dental Hospital of Manchester, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:127-31. 2000..The results also show differences between the sexes in their reaction to pain. Significantly more women than men showed signs of pain, despite little difference in self-rating pain scores...
- Safety and efficacy of levobupivacaine for postoperative pain relief after the surgical removal of impacted third molars: a comparison with lignocaine and adrenalineJ P Rood
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, GKT Dental Institute, King s College Dental Hospital, Caldecot Road, London SE5 9RW, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:491-6. 2002..Levobupivacaine seems to be a suitable alternative local anaesthetic to lignocaine with adrenaline for pain control after oral operations...
- Reducing postoperative pain by changing the processF I J Crawford
School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, University Dental Hospital of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester, M15 6FH, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 49:459-63. 2011..Despite this, severe pain remained relatively common, indicating room for improvement. Duration of pain and patient satisfaction were not affected by the intervention, and patient satisfaction remained high throughout the study...
- Interventions for replacing missing teeth: treatment of perimplantitisM Esposito
School of Dentistry, University of Manchester, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester, UK M15 6FH E mail
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD004970. 2006..Different treatment strategies for perimplantitis have been suggested, however it is unclear which are the most effective...
- Estimating the need for dental sedation. 4. Using IOSN as a referral toolM Goodwin
The School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, UK
Br Dent J 212:E9. 2012..In this article we report on the use of the IOSN as a referral tool in primary care and the need for sedation in the referred patient population (as determined by the IOSN score)...
- Solitary adult myofibroma of the mandible simulating an odontogenic cystR J Oliver
University Dental Hospital of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester M15 6FH, UK
Oral Oncol 39:626-9. 2003..A case is reported of a 34-year-old female patient who presented with a solitary myofibroma in the lower third molar region of the mandible which clinically and radiographically simulated an odontogenic cyst...
- The assessment of systematic reviews in dentistryA M Glenny
Cochrane Oral Health Group, University Dental Hospital of Manchester, UK
Eur J Oral Sci 111:85-92. 2003..If future clinical decisions are to be based upon systematic reviews, it is imperative that the reviews address clinically relevant, focused questions and follow a 'transparent', well-designed protocol...
- Barriers to the use of morphine for the management of severe postoperative pain - a before and after studyP Coulthard
The University of Manchester, School of Dentistry, Coupland 3 Building, Coupland Street, Manchester M13 9PL, United Kingdom
Int J Surg 12:150-5. 2014..To reduce the number of patients experiencing severe postoperative pain by prescribing 10 mg Morphine either as oral solution or by IM injection as an alternative to Tramadol Hydrochloride in an analgesic protocol...
- Ibuprofen and/or paracetamol (acetaminophen) for pain relief after surgical removal of lower wisdom teeth, a Cochrane systematic reviewE Bailey
University of Manchester, School of Dentistry, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester, M13 9PL
Br Dent J 216:451-5. 2014..32 to 2.39) based on total pain relief (TOTPAR) data. There is high quality evidence that ibuprofen is superior to paracetamol. The novel combination drug shows encouraging results when compared to the single drugs (based on two trials). ..
- Estimating the need for dental sedation. 1. The Indicator of Sedation Need (IOSN) - a novel assessment toolP Coulthard
Dental Sedation Teachers Group, School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester, M15 6FH
Br Dent J 211:E10. 2011..Such a tool could also be used by commissioners who need to identify patients who need conscious sedation for dental treatment in order to plan, commission and deliver appropriate sedation services...
- Arteriovenous malformation of the mandible--a case reportJ Seehra
School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester M15 6FH
Br Dent J 201:25-7. 2006..It is important for clinicians in both a primary and secondary care setting to be aware that this type of lesion can have life threatening complications...
- Maintaining and re-establishing health around osseointegrated oral implants: a Cochrane systematic review comparing the efficacy of various treatmentsMarco Esposito
Institute for Surgical Sciences, Department of Biomaterials, The Salgrenska Academy at Göteborg University, Sweden
Periodontol 2000 33:204-12. 2003
- Analgesic efficacy of the cyclooxygenase-inhibiting nitric oxide donor AZD3582 in postoperative dental pain: Comparison with naproxen and rofecoxib in two randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studiesC Michael Hill
University Dental Hospital, Heath Park, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Clin Ther 28:1279-95. 2006....
- Modulation of the gait deficit in arthritic rats by infusions of muscimol and bicucullineShabana U Simjee
School of Biological Sciences, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Pain 109:453-60. 2004..The results suggest that the development of arthritic pain is increased in the absence of GABA(A) receptor tone and that increasing GABA(A) receptor tone can reduce arthritic pain but does not affect the disease process...
- A 5-year follow-up comparative analysis of the efficacy of various osseointegrated dental implant systems: a systematic review of randomized controlled clinical trialsMarco Esposito
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester M15 6FH, United Kingdom
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 20:557-68. 2005..To test the null hypothesis that there is no difference in failure rates between various root-formed osseointegrated dental implant systems after 5 years of loading...
- The effectiveness of immediate, early, and conventional loading of dental implants: a Cochrane systematic review of randomized controlled clinical trialsMarco Esposito
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 22:893-904. 2007..To test whether there is a difference in success rates between immediately, early, and conventionally loaded implants...
- Post-operative surgical emphysema following the use of a peak flow meterRichard Oliver
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:452-3. 2002
- The reporting of randomized controlled trials in prosthodonticsAsbjørn Jokstad
Institute of Clinical Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Oslo, PO Box 1109 Blindern, N 0317 Oslo, Norway
Int J Prosthodont 15:230-42. 2002..This article evaluates the reporting of randomized controlled trials (RCT) in prosthodontics, excluding endosseous implant-based prosthetics...
- The efficacy of local anaesthetic for pain after iliac bone harvesting: a randomised controlled trialPaul Coulthard
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester, M15 6FH, UK
Int J Surg 6:57-63. 2008..Autogenous bone grafting is commonly used in reconstructive surgery but postoperative pain from the donor site can be severe, delaying early mobilisation and preventing discharge from hospital...
- Conscious sedation guidancePaul Coulthard
Unit of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Evid Based Dent 7:90-1. 2006..The interaction of pharmacological and nonpharmacological anxiety management techniques. The complete guidance is available for download at www.scottishdental.org/cep/guidance/dentalsedation.htm...
- The efficacy of various bone augmentation procedures for dental implants: a Cochrane systematic review of randomized controlled clinical trialsMarco Esposito
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Cochrane Oral Health Group, School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, United Kingdom
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 21:696-710. 2006..Trials were divided into 3 categories: (1) major vertical or horizontal bone augmentation (or both); (2) implants placed in extraction sockets; (3) fenestrated implants...
- Enamel matrix derivative for periodontal tissue regeneration in treatment of intrabony defects: a Cochrane systematic reviewMarco Esposito
Goteborg University, P O Box 412, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
J Dent Educ 68:834-44. 2004..EMD is able to significantly improve PAL levels and PPD reduction when compared to flap surgery; however, there is no evidence that more teeth could be saved. There was no evidence of important differences between EMD and GTR...
- [Histologic and histomorphometric study of bone regeneration induced by beta-tricalcium phosphate (multicenter study)]Zsuzsanna Suba
Semmelweis Egyetem, Fogorvostudományi Kar, Szájsebészeti és Fogászati Klinika, Budapest
Orv Hetil 145:1431-7. 2004..However, bone graft can be harvested only by a second surgery, which is inconvenient for the patient and raises the possibility of many complications...
- A prospective multicenter randomized clinical trial of autogenous bone versus beta-tricalcium phosphate graft alone for bilateral sinus elevation: histologic and histomorphometric evaluationGyorgy Szabo
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 20:371-81. 2005..The objective was to determine whether donor site morbidity could be avoided by using pure-phase beta-tricalcium phosphate (Cerasorb)...