Genomes and Genes
Simon M Collin
Affiliation: University of Bristol
- Rieu R, Chang C, Collin S, Fazekas J, Dassanaike S, Abbara A, et al. Time to detection in liquid culture of sputum in pulmonary MDR-TB does not predict culture conversion for early discharge. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2016;71:803-6 pubmed publisher..TTD data from these pulmonary MDR-TB patients did not support a simple clinical prediction tool, but our analysis was limited by the small size of our sample. ..
- Collin S, Nikolaus S, Heron J, Knoop H, White P, Crawley E. Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) symptom-based phenotypes in two clinical cohorts of adult patients in the UK and The Netherlands. J Psychosom Res. 2016;81:14-23 pubmed publisher..Future research needs to determine whether phenotypes predict treatment outcomes, and require different treatments. ..
- Collin S, Heron J, Nikolaus S, Knoop H, Crawley E. Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME) symptom-based phenotypes and 1-year treatment outcomes in two clinical cohorts of adult patients in the UK and The Netherlands. J Psychosom Res. 2018;104:29-34 pubmed publisher..Adult CFS/ME patients with multiple symptoms or pain symptoms who present for specialist treatment are much less likely to report favourable treatment outcomes than patients who present with few symptoms. ..
- Collin S, Crawley E, May M, Sterne J, Hollingworth W. The impact of CFS/ME on employment and productivity in the UK: a cross-sectional study based on the CFS/ME national outcomes database. BMC Health Serv Res. 2011;11:217 pubmed publisher..2 million. Sensitivity analyses suggested a range between £75.5-£128.9 million. CFS/ME incurs huge productivity costs amongst the small fraction of adults with CFS/ME who access specialist services. ..
- Collin S, Metcalfe C, Zuccolo L, Lewis S, Chen L, Cox A, et al. Association of folate-pathway gene polymorphisms with the risk of prostate cancer: a population-based nested case-control study, systematic review, and meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009;18:2528-39 pubmed publisher..Our meta-analysis suggests that known common folate-pathway single nucleotide polymorphisms do not have significant effects on susceptibility to prostate cancer. ..
- Collin S, Metcalfe C, Refsum H, Lewis S, Smith G, Cox A, et al. Associations of folate, vitamin B12, homocysteine, and folate-pathway polymorphisms with prostate-specific antigen velocity in men with localized prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010;19:2833-8 pubmed publisher..Long-term follow-up is needed to test associations with metastases and mortality, and the observed genetic effects require replication. ..
- Collin S, Bakken I, Nazareth I, Crawley E, White P. Health care resource use by patients before and after a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME): a clinical practice research datalink study. BMC Fam Pract. 2017;18:60 pubmed publisher....
- Broughton J, Harris S, Beasant L, Crawley E, Collin S. Adult patients' experiences of NHS specialist services for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME): a qualitative study in England. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:384 pubmed publisher..This improvement came about through a process which included validation of patients' experiences, acceptance of change, practical advice and support, and therapeutic outcomes. ..
- Collin S, Crawley E. Specialist treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome/ME: a cohort study among adult patients in England. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:488 pubmed publisher....