Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Cambridge
Interests: fetal origins of adult disease (placental morphology, gene expression, imprinted genes, epigenetic regulation, physiology) and the epidemiology of chronic diseases and risk factors thereof.
- Angiolini E, Fowden A, Coan P, Sandovici I, Smith P, Dean W, et al. Regulation of placental efficiency for nutrient transport by imprinted genes. Placenta. 2006;27 Suppl A:S98-102 pubmed..We propose that signalling mechanisms involving growth demand signals and nutrient transporters are likely to occur and are important for fine tuning normal fetal growth. ..
- Coan P, Angiolini E, Sandovici I, Burton G, Constancia M, Fowden A. Adaptations in placental nutrient transfer capacity to meet fetal growth demands depend on placental size in mice. J Physiol. 2008;586:4567-76 pubmed publisher..Thus, this adaptability in placental phenotype provides a functional reserve capacity for maximizing fetal growth during late gestation when placental growth is compromised...
- Watkinson A, Harding C, Moore A, Coan P. Water modulation of stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme activity and desquamation. Arch Dermatol Res. 2001;293:470-6 pubmed..In addition, SCCE may be adapted to function in the water-restricted stratum corneum intercellular space. ..
- Cross J, Coan P, Fundele R, Hemberger M, Kibschull M, Ferguson Smith A. Genes and development--a workshop report. Placenta. 2004;25 Suppl A:S39-41 pubmed
- Sibley C, Coan P, Ferguson Smith A, Dean W, Hughes J, Smith P, et al. Placental-specific insulin-like growth factor 2 (Igf2) regulates the diffusional exchange characteristics of the mouse placenta. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:8204-8 pubmed..This provides a mechanism for the role of imprinted genes in controlling placental nutrient supply and fetal growth. Altered placental Igf2 could be a cause of idiopathic intrauterine growth restriction in the human. ..
- Coan P, Burton G, Ferguson Smith A. Imprinted genes in the placenta--a review. Placenta. 2005;26 Suppl A:S10-20 pubmed..We review the current information on, and suggest possible functional roles for, imprinted genes in placental development. ..
- Coan P, Vaughan O, McCarthy J, Mactier C, Burton G, Constancia M, et al. Dietary composition programmes placental phenotype in mice. J Physiol. 2011;589:3659-70 pubmed publisher..This has important implications for the intrauterine programming of life expectancy...
- Coan P, Conroy N, Burton G, Ferguson Smith A. Origin and characteristics of glycogen cells in the developing murine placenta. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:3280-94 pubmed..Thus stereology and immunohistochemistry have provided useful insights into Jz development and function of the glycogen cells. ..
- Lin S, Coan P, da Rocha S, Seitz H, Cavaille J, Teng P, et al. Differential regulation of imprinting in the murine embryo and placenta by the Dlk1-Dio3 imprinting control region. Development. 2007;134:417-26 pubmed..This indicates that the mechanism of action of the IG-DMR is different in the embryo and the placenta and suggests that the epigenetic control of imprinting differs in these two lineages. ..
- Angiolini E, Coan P, Sandovici I, Iwajomo O, Peck G, Burton G, et al. Developmental adaptations to increased fetal nutrient demand in mouse genetic models of Igf2-mediated overgrowth. FASEB J. 2011;25:1737-45 pubmed publisher..Our findings are indicative of fetal-placental signaling mechanisms that limit total demand for maternal nutrients. ..
- Fowden A, Coan P, Angiolini E, Burton G, Constancia M. Imprinted genes and the epigenetic regulation of placental phenotype. Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 2011;106:281-8 pubmed publisher..These genes, therefore, have a major role in the epigenetic regulation of placental phenotype with long term consequences for the developmental programming of adult health and disease. ..
- Coan P, Ferguson Smith A, Burton G. Developmental dynamics of the definitive mouse placenta assessed by stereology. Biol Reprod. 2004;70:1806-13 pubmed..39 microm by E18.5. The specific diffusion capacity for oxygen of the interhemal membrane is maximal by E16.5, which may be necessary to support rapid fetal growth until the end of gestation. ..
- Coan P, Vaughan O, Sekita Y, Finn S, Burton G, Constancia M, et al. Adaptations in placental phenotype support fetal growth during undernutrition of pregnant mice. J Physiol. 2010;588:527-38 pubmed publisher..Consequently, placental phenotype is responsive to environmental conditions and may help predict the risk of adult disease programmed in utero. ..
- Nelson S, Coan P, Burton G, Lindsay R. Placental structure in type 1 diabetes: relation to fetal insulin, leptin, and IGF-I. Diabetes. 2009;58:2634-41 pubmed publisher..Fetal IGF-I but not fetal insulin emerges as a key correlate of placental substructural volumes, thereby facilitating feedback to the placenta regarding fetal metabolic demand. ..
- Fowden A, Sferruzzi Perri A, Coan P, Constancia M, Burton G. Placental efficiency and adaptation: endocrine regulation. J Physiol. 2009;587:3459-72 pubmed publisher..This review examines placental efficiency as a means of altering fetal growth, the morphological and functional adaptations that influence placental efficiency and the endocrine regulation of these processes. ..
- Fowden A, Forhead A, Coan P, Burton G. The placenta and intrauterine programming. J Neuroendocrinol. 2008;20:439-50 pubmed publisher....
- Coan P, Ferguson Smith A, Burton G. Ultrastructural changes in the interhaemal membrane and junctional zone of the murine chorioallantoic placenta across gestation. J Anat. 2005;207:783-96 pubmed..This is the first study to use both scanning and transmission electron microscopy in an ultrastructural description of murine placental development and is complementary to contemporary genetic investigations. ..
- Coan P, Hummel O, Garcia Diaz A, Barrier M, Alfazema N, Norsworthy P, et al. Genetic, physiological and comparative genomic studies of hypertension and insulin resistance in the spontaneously hypertensive rat. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:297-306 pubmed publisher..Further study of these genes in the congenic strains will lead to robust identification of the underlying genes and cellular mechanisms. ..
- Coan P, Fowden A, Constancia M, Ferguson Smith A, Burton G, Sibley C. Disproportional effects of Igf2 knockout on placental morphology and diffusional exchange characteristics in the mouse. J Physiol. 2008;586:5023-32 pubmed publisher..Thus, placental phenotype depends on the degree of Igf2 gene ablation and the interplay between placental and fetal Igf2 in the mouse. ..
- Coan P, Barrier M, Alfazema N, Carter R, Marion de Procé S, Dopico X, et al. Complement Factor B Is a Determinant of Both Metabolic and Cardiovascular Features of Metabolic Syndrome. Hypertension. 2017;: pubmed publisher....