J A Clowes
Affiliation: University of Sheffield
- Octreotide abolishes the acute decrease in bone turnover in response to oral glucoseJackie A Clowes
Bone Metabolism Group, Clinical Sciences North, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom S5 7AU
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:4867-73. 2003..We conclude that octreotide completely abolishes the bone turnover response to glucose intake and increases PTH secretion. The apparent bone turnover response to feeding is probably mediated by an octreotide-inhibitable endocrine factor...
- Device-specific thresholds to diagnose osteoporosis at the proximal femur: an approach to interpreting peripheral bone measurements in clinical practiceJ A Clowes
Bone Metabolism Group, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Osteoporos Int 17:1293-302. 2006....
- The impact of monitoring on adherence and persistence with antiresorptive treatment for postmenopausal osteoporosis: a randomized controlled trialJackie A Clowes
Bone Metabolism Group, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom S57 AU
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:1117-23. 2004..36; P = 0.002). In conclusion, monitoring of patients increased adherence to therapy by 57% at 1 yr. Increased adherence to therapy increased the effectiveness of raloxifene therapy determined using surrogate end points...
- The effect of cessation of raloxifene treatment on bone turnover in postmenopausal womenK E Naylor
University of Sheffield, UK
Bone 46:592-7. 2010..The beneficial effect on bone turnover of 96 weeks of raloxifene was lost 6 months after cessation of treatment...
- Different effects of raloxifene and estrogen on interleukin-1beta and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist production using in vitro and ex vivo studiesA Rogers
Clinical Sciences Centre, Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield, S5 7AU, UK
Bone 40:105-10. 2007..This may account, at least in part for the reduced efficacy of RLX therapy compared to estrogen which has been observed in vivo on bone mineral density, bone turnover and reduction in fracture risk...
- Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosisJ A Clowes
University of Sheffield, Division of Clinical Sciences (North, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Curr Opin Rheumatol 13:326-32. 2001....
- The discriminative ability of peripheral and axial bone measurements to identify proximal femoral, vertebral, distal forearm and proximal humeral fractures: a case control studyJackie A Clowes
Bone Metabolism Group, University of Sheffield, Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield, S5 7AU, UK
Osteoporos Int 16:1794-802. 2005..The ability of different bone measurements to discriminate between fracture cases and controls is device- and site-specific, with additional information obtained by combining measurement sites and technologies...
- Acute changes of bone turnover and PTH induced by insulin and glucose: euglycemic and hypoglycemic hyperinsulinemic clamp studiesJackie A Clowes
Bone Metabolism Group, Division of Clinical Sciences (North, Northern General Hospital, University of Sheffield, Herries Road, Sheffield S5 7 AU, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3324-9. 2002..The reduction in bone turnover during hypoglycemia may be related to hypoglycemia itself, acute changes in PTH, or other hormones released in response to hypoglycemia...
- Comparison of densitometric and radiographic vertebral fracture assessment using the algorithm-based qualitative (ABQ) method in postmenopausal women at low and high risk of fractureLynne Ferrar
Academic Unit of Bone Metabolism, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom
J Bone Miner Res 23:103-11. 2008..Misdiagnosis was influenced by image quality and was more common for mild deformities...
- Potential role of pancreatic and enteric hormones in regulating bone turnoverJackie A Clowes
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Endocrine Research Unit, St Mary's Hospital, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Bone Miner Res 20:1497-506. 2005
- Clinical performance of immunoreactive tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase isoform 5b as a marker of bone resorptionRosemary A Hannon
Bone Metabolism Group, Section of Human Metabolism, Division of Clinical Sciences (North, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Bone 34:187-94. 2004..TRACP 5b may provide useful additional information about bone resorption...
- Characterization of circulating osteoblast lineage cells in humansGuiti Z Eghbali-Fatourechi
Endocrine Research Unit, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, 5 194 Joseph, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Bone 40:1370-7. 2007..Further studies are needed to define the precise role of circulating OCN(pos) cells not only in bone remodeling but rather also potentially in the response to vascular injury...