Amanda Jayne Carr
Affiliation: University College London
- Development of human embryonic stem cell therapies for age-related macular degenerationAmanda Jayne F Carr
The London Project to Cure Blindness, Division of Orbit, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, 11 43 Bath Street, London, EC1V 9EL, UK
Trends Neurosci 36:385-95. 2013..We discuss the various methods used to differentiate and purify RPE from human embryonic stem cells (HESC), and describe the surgical approaches being used to transplant these cells in existing and forthcoming clinical trials. ..
- Molecular characterization and functional analysis of phagocytosis by human embryonic stem cell-derived RPE cells using a novel human retinal assayAmanda Jayne Carr
Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London, UK
Mol Vis 15:283-95. 2009....
- Protective effects of human iPS-derived retinal pigment epithelium cell transplantation in the retinal dystrophic ratAmanda Jayne Carr
Department of Ocular Biology and Therapeutics, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e8152. 2009..These findings have identified an alternative source of replacement tissue for use in human retinal cellular therapies, and provide a new in vitro cellular model system in which to study RPE diseases affecting human patients...
- The expression of retinal cell markers in human retinal pigment epithelial cells and their augmentation by the synthetic retinoid fenretinideAmanda Jayne Carr
Department of Cell Biology, UCL Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, London, UK
Mol Vis 17:1701-15. 2011..Here we assess whether fenretinide can induce a neuroretinal cell phenotype in ARPE-19 cells, by examining retinal cell marker expression...
- Induction of differentiation by pyruvate and DMEM in the human retinal pigment epithelium cell line ARPE-19Ahmad Ahmado
Department of Ocular Biology and Therapeutics, University College London UCL, Institute of Ophthalmology, London, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:7148-59. 2011..The purpose of this study was to examine how this sensitive phenotype of ARPE-19 can be modulated by growth media with or without the metabolite pyruvate to elucidate better RPE growth conditions...
- Elucidating the phenomenon of HESC-derived RPE: anatomy of cell genesis, expansion and retinal transplantationAnthony Vugler
Department of Ocular Biology and Therapeutics, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, 11 43 Bath Street, London, EC1V 9EL, UK
Exp Neurol 214:347-61. 2008..The presence of rhodopsin-positive material within grafted HESC-RPE indicates that in the future, homogenous transplants of this cell type may be capable of supporting visual function following retinal dystrophy...
- Degeneration of cortical function in the Royal College of Surgeons ratCarlos Gias
Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, 11 43 Bath Street, EC1V 9EL London, UK
Vision Res 51:2176-85. 2011..These results show that degeneration in the cortical response of the RCS rat starts before development has been properly completed...