Arthur M Butt
Affiliation: University of Portsmouth
- Butt A, Kalsi A. Inwardly rectifying potassium channels (Kir) in central nervous system glia: a special role for Kir4.1 in glial functions. J Cell Mol Med. 2006;10:33-44 pubmed..1 results in severe hypomyelination. Hence, Kir, and in particular Kir4.1, are key regulators of glial functions, which in turn determine neuronal excitability and axonal conduction. ..
- Papanikolaou M, Lewis A, Butt A. Store-operated calcium entry is essential for glial calcium signalling in CNS white matter. Brain Struct Funct. 2017;222:2993-3005 pubmed publisher..The results provide evidence that Orai/Stim and TRPM3 are important components of the 'calcium toolkit' that underpins SOCE and the sustainability of calcium signalling in white matter glia. ..
- Rivera A, Vanzuli I, Arellano J, Butt A. Decreased Regenerative Capacity of Oligodendrocyte Progenitor Cells (NG2-Glia) in the Ageing Brain: A Vicious Cycle of Synaptic Dysfunction, Myelin Loss and Neuronal Disruption?. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2016;13:413-8 pubmed..Here, we discuss evidence that deregulation of glutamate neurotransmission in dementia and compromised generation of oligodendrocytes from OPs are key features of myelin loss and associated cognitive decline. ..
- Brasko C, Hawkins V, De La Rocha I, Butt A. Expression of Kir4.1 and Kir5.1 inwardly rectifying potassium channels in oligodendrocytes, the myelinating cells of the CNS. Brain Struct Funct. 2017;222:41-59 pubmed publisher..We propose Kir4.1/Kir5.1 channels have equivalent functions in oligodendrocytes, maintaining myelin integrity in the face of large ionic shifts associated with action potential propagation along myelinated axons. ..
- Butt A, Vanzulli I, Papanikolaou M, De La Rocha I, Hawkins V. Metabotropic Glutamate Receptors Protect Oligodendrocytes from Acute Ischemia in the Mouse Optic Nerve. Neurochem Res. 2017;42:2468-2478 pubmed publisher....