Affiliation: University of Southampton
- Respiratory physiotherapy: towards a clearer definition of terminologyAnne Bruton
Highfield Campus, University of Southampton, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Physiotherapy 97:345-9. 2011..This approach will help to avoid confusion, and will permit the transfer of those interventions found to be effective in research trials into routine clinical practice...
- Ambulatory oxygen: why do COPD patients not use their portable systems as prescribed? A qualitative studyElizabeth Arnold
School of Health Sciences, Highfield Campus, University of Southampton, Hampshire, UK
BMC Pulm Med 11:9. 2011..The aim of this study was to obtain in-depth information about perceptions and use of prescribed ambulatory oxygen systems from patients with COPD to inform ambulatory oxygen design, prescription and management...
- Hypocapnia and asthma: a mechanism for breathing retraining?Anne Bruton
University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Chest 127:1808-11. 2005..This article reviews the available evidence supporting the hypothesis and concludes that although attractive, there is currently insufficient evidence to attribute the benefits of breathing retraining to this mechanism...
- The Buteyko breathing technique for asthma: a reviewA Bruton
School of Health Professions and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Complement Ther Med 13:41-6. 2005..Further research is necessary to establish unequivocally whether BBT is effective, and if so, how it may work...
- The role of breathing training in asthma managementAnne Bruton
Faculty of Health Sciences, Highfield Campus, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 11:53-7. 2011..The evidence supporting breathing training for asthma was previously weak, and limited by the small size and methodological limitations of published research...
- A study to compare the reliability of composite finger flexion with goniometry for measurement of range of motion in the handBridget Ellis
School of Health Professions and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Clin Rehabil 16:562-70. 2002..To establish the intra- and inter-rater reliability of composite finger flexion (CFF), and to compare this with goniometry...
- Effects of acupuncture as a treatment for hyperventilation syndrome: a pilot, randomized crossover trialDenise Gibson
Physiotherapy Department, Southampton University Hospitals National Health Service Trust, Southampton, Southampton, UK
J Altern Complement Med 13:39-46. 2007..Treatment options include physiotherapy, in the form of breathing retraining (BR), but additional approaches aim to reduce the anxiety that is recognized as being a frequent component of this condition...