D R Brown
Affiliation: University of Bath
- McDowall J, Brown D. Alpha-synuclein: relating metals to structure, function and inhibition. Metallomics. 2016;8:385-97 pubmed publisher..The recent proposal that alpha-synuclein is a ferrireductase is important as it can possibly catalyse the formation of such reactive species and as a result exacerbate neurodegeneration. ..
- Cichon A, Brown D. Nrf-2 regulation of prion protein expression is independent of oxidative stress. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2014;63:31-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Nrf-2 has no impact on PrP expression when cells are infected with scrapie. These findings highlight that Nrf-2 can regulate PrP expression, but that this regulation becomes uncoupled during cellular stress. ..
- Brown D. Prion protein expression modulates neuronal copper content. J Neurochem. 2003;87:377-85 pubmed..Loss of normal Cu binding by the prion protein altered age-related increases in metals in the brain. This may explain why many forms of human prion disease do not develop until late in life. ..
- McDowall J, Ntai I, Honeychurch K, Hart J, Colin P, Schneider B, et al. Alpha-synuclein ferrireductase activity is detectible in vivo, is altered in Parkinson's disease and increases the neurotoxicity of DOPAL. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2017;85:1-11 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that ?-synuclein ferrireductase activity is present in vivo and its alteration may play a role in neuron loss in disease. ..
- Angelova D, Jones H, Brown D. Levels of ?- and ?-synuclein regulate cellular susceptibility to toxicity from ?-synuclein oligomers. FASEB J. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Angelova, D. M., Jones, H. B. L., Brown, D. R. Levels of ?- and ?-synuclein regulate cellular susceptibility to toxicity from ?-synuclein oligomers...