Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Manchester
- Haley M, Brough D, Quintin J, Allan S. Microglial Priming as Trained Immunity in the Brain. Neuroscience. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Although such changes may be beneficial in peripheral infectious disease, in the context of microglial priming they may drive increased microglia reactivity that is damaging in diseases of brain aging. ..
- Brough D, Pelegrin P, Rothwell N. Pannexin-1-dependent caspase-1 activation and secretion of IL-1beta is regulated by zinc. Eur J Immunol. 2009;39:352-8 pubmed publisher..These data provide new insights into the mechanisms of caspase-1 activation and how zinc metabolism contributes to inflammatory mechanisms. ..
- Diamond C, Leong K, Vacca M, Rivers Auty J, Brough D, Mortellaro A. Salmonella typhimurium-induced IL-1 release from primary human monocytes requires NLRP3 and can occur in the absence of pyroptosis. Sci Rep. 2017;7:6861 pubmed publisher..This insight into the mechanisms involved in IL-1 release from primary human monocytes highlights major differences between immune cell types, and the defences they employ during bacterial infection. ..
- Brough D, Pelegrin P, Nickel W. An emerging case for membrane pore formation as a common mechanism for the unconventional secretion of FGF2 and IL-1?. J Cell Sci. 2017;130:3197-3202 pubmed publisher..In this Opinion article, we discuss the unconventional mechanisms of FGF2 and IL-1? release with a particular emphasis on recent discoveries suggesting the importance of pore formation on the plasma membrane. ..
- Baldwin A, Rivers Auty J, Daniels M, White C, Schwalbe C, Schilling T, et al. Boron-Based Inhibitors of the NLRP3 Inflammasome. Cell Chem Biol. 2017;24:1321-1335.e5 pubmed publisher..The NBC compounds represent useful tools to dissect NLRP3 function, and may lead to oxazaborine ring-containing therapeutics. ..
- Daniels M, Adamson A, Humphreys N, Brough D. CRISPR/Cas9 mediated mutation of mouse IL-1? nuclear localisation sequence abolishes expression. Sci Rep. 2017;7:17077 pubmed publisher..Our results serve as a cautionary note that CRISPR -mediated genome editing without full knowledge of genomic context can result in unexpected, yet potentially informative observations. ..