Affiliation: University of Sheffield
- MAVIDOS Maternal Vitamin D Osteoporosis Study: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. The MAVIDOS Study GroupNicholas C Harvey
MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Trials 13:13. 2012..MAVIDOS is a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial (ISRCTN82927713, registered 2008 Apr 11), funded by Arthritis Research UK, MRC, Bupa Foundation and NIHR...
- Dual-energy X-ray aborptiometry assessment in children and adolescents with diseases that may affect the skeleton: the 2007 ISCD Pediatric Official PositionsNick Bishop
Sheffield University, Sheffield Childrens NHS Foundation Trust, Western Bank, Sheffield, UK
J Clin Densitom 11:29-42. 2008..Importantly, this document also highlights significant gaps in our knowledge, emphasizing areas for future research...
- Two doses of pamidronate in infants with osteogenesis imperfectaS Senthilnathan
University of Sheffield, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TH, UK
Arch Dis Child 93:398-400. 2008..We wished to ascertain the effect of pamidronate at 6 or 12 mg/kg/year on skeletal health in infants with OI...
- Unexplained fractures in infancy: looking for fragile bonesNick Bishop
Academic Unit of Child Health, University of Sheffield, Sheffield Children s Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Arch Dis Child 92:251-6. 2007
- Don't ignore vitamin DN Bishop
University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Arch Dis Child 91:549-50. 2006
- Male sex and low physical activity are associated with reduced spine bone mineral density in survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemiaV Tillmann
Department of Child Health, Sheffield Children s Hospital, Western Bank, United Kingdom
J Bone Miner Res 17:1073-80. 2002..Overall, survivors of ALL were physically less active than their healthy controls and lower activity correlated with lower lumbar BMD(vol) and higher %FM(adj)...
- Clinical management of childhood osteoporosisY Y Chan
University of Sheffield, Sheffield Children s Hospital, Yorkshire, UK
Int J Clin Pract 56:280-6. 2002..We also emphasise the important concepts of bone mass assessment and interpretation in children...
- Significance of the mechanical environment during regeneration of the intervertebral discStephan Zeiter
AO Research Institute, Clavadelerstrasse, 7270 Davos Platz, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 14:874-9. 2005..To demonstrate the potential of this idea, data from the literature, as well as explorative experimental results, are presented...
- Are inhaled corticosteroids associated with an increased risk of fracture in children?Tjeerd Pieter van Staa
MRC Epidemiology Resource Centre, University of Southampton, SO16 6YD, Southampton, UK
Osteoporos Int 15:785-91. 2004..The increased risk of fracture associated with use of inhaled corticosteroids is likely to be the result of the underlying illness, rather than being directly attributable to inhaled corticosteroid therapy...
- RicketsBrian Wharton
MRC Childhood Nutrition Research Centre, Institute of Child Health, WC1N 1EH, London, UK
Lancet 362:1389-400. 2003..We speculate that in addition to differences in genetic factors, sun exposure, and skin pigmentation, iron deficiency may affect vitamin D handling in the skin or gut or its intermediary metabolism...
- Fractures and recurrent fractures in children; varying effects of environmental factors as well as bone size and massKaren Manias
University of Sheffield and Sheffield Children s Trust, Sheffield Children s Hospital, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TH, UK
Bone 39:652-7. 2006..Previous reports have indicated a variety of potential contributors to fracture risk including low bone mineral content and density, milk avoidance, lack of exercise, asthma, obesity, and a high consumption of carbonated beverages...