Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Cambridge
- Heterogeneous proliferative potential in regenerative adult newt cardiomyocytesMonica Bettencourt-Dias
Department of Biochemistry, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
J Cell Sci 116:4001-9. 2003..Understanding the nature of this block and why it arises in some but not other newt cardiomyocytes may lead to an augmentation of the regenerative potential in the mammalian heart...
- Genome-wide survey of protein kinases required for cell cycle progressionM Bettencourt-Dias
Cancer Research UK Cell Cycle Genetics Research Group, University of Cambridge, Department of Genetics, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EH, UK
Nature 432:980-7. 2004..The survey reveals the inter-digitation of systems that monitor cellular physiology, cell size, cellular stress and signalling processes with the basic cell cycle regulatory machinery...
- SAK/PLK4 is required for centriole duplication and flagella developmentM Bettencourt-Dias
Cancer Research UK Cell Cycle Genetics Research Group, Department of Genetics, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EH, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 15:2199-207. 2005..SAK-/- mice die during embryogenesis, whereas SAK+/- mice develop liver and lung tumors and SAK+/- MEFs show mitotic abnormalities. However, the mechanism underlying these phenotypes is still not known...
- Asterless is a scaffold for the onset of centriole assemblyNikola S Dzhindzhev
Cancer Research UK Cell Cycle Genetics Group, University of Cambridge, Department of Genetics, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EH, UK
Nature 467:714-8. 2010..Our findings identify independent functions for Asl as a scaffold for Plk4 and Sas-4 that facilitates self-assembly and duplication of the centriole and organization of pericentriolar material...
- DSAS-6 organizes a tube-like centriole precursor, and its absence suggests modularity in centriole assemblyAna Rodrigues-Martins
Cancer Research UK Cell Cycle Genetics Research Group, Department of Genetics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Curr Biol 17:1465-72. 2007..We propose that the tube is built from nine subunits fitting together laterally and longitudinally in a modular and sequential fashion, like pieces of a layered "hollow" cake...
- From centriole biogenesis to cellular function: centrioles are essential for cell division at critical developmental stagesAna Rodrigues-Martins
Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia, Cell Cycle Regulation Lab, Oeiras, Portugal
Cell Cycle 7:11-6. 2008..This heterogeneity should be taken into account both in reaching an understanding of spindle function and when designing drugs that target cell division...