Genomes and Genes
S P Balasubramanian
Affiliation: University of Sheffield
- Association of a common variant of the CASP8 gene with reduced risk of breast cancerGordon MacPherson
Division of Genomic Medicine, University of Sheffield Medical School, Sheffield, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:1866-9. 2004..0002, adjusted for study). The reproducible, dose-dependent association of CASP8 D302H with breast cancer indicates the potential importance of inherited variation in the apoptosis pathway in breast cancer susceptibility...
- Standards of reporting of randomized controlled trials in general surgery: can we do better?Sabapathy P Balasubramanian
Academic Unit of Surgical Oncology, K Floor, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, University of Sheffield, S10 2JF, UK
Ann Surg 244:663-7. 2006....
- Interleukin gene polymorphisms and breast cancer: a case control study and systematic literature reviewS P Balasubramanian
Academic Surgical Oncology Unit, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
BMC Cancer 6:188. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate any role of specific SNPs in the interleukin genes IL1A, IL1B, IL1RN, IL4R, IL6 and IL10 in predisposition to breast cancer susceptibility and severity...
- Ischemic vascular disease and solid cancers: opposing ends of the angiogenic spectrum?S P Balasubramanian
Academic Surgical Oncology Unit, University of Sheffield, K Floor, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2JF, United Kingdom
Med Hypotheses 67:1317-9. 2006..Modifying risk for patients at high risk of disease at the two opposing ends of the spectrum may then be possible by either lifestyle or dietary alterations or drugs targeting the angiogenic pathway...
- Endostatin gene variation and protein levels in breast cancer susceptibility and severitySabapathy P Balasubramanian
Academic Surgical Oncology Unit, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
BMC Cancer 7:107. 2007..Endostatin protein expression on a breast cancer micro array was also studied to determine any relationship to genotype and to breast cancer prognosis...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of sentinel node biopsy in thyroid cancerS P Balasubramanian
Academic Unit of Surgical Oncology, Department of Oncology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Br J Surg 98:334-44. 2011..Several studies have investigated the role of SNB in thyroid cancer. This is a systematic review and meta-analysis of the role of SNB in the management of thyroid cancer...
- Angiogenesis is associated with the onset of hyperplasia in human ductal breast diseaseJ E Bluff
Microcirculation Research Group, Academic Unit of Surgical Oncology, University of Sheffield Medical School, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK
Br J Cancer 101:666-72. 2009..The precise timing of the angiogenic switch and the role of angiogenesis in the development of breast malignancy is currently unknown...
- Expression of receptor activator of nuclear factor kappabeta ligand (RANKL) and tumour necrosis factor related, apoptosis inducing ligand (TRAIL) in breast cancer, and their relations with osteoprotegerin, oestrogen receptor, and clinicopathological variaS S Cross
Academic Unit of Pathology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, UK
J Clin Pathol 59:716-20. 2006..Their functions are linked by their interactions with osteoprotegerin (OPG)...
- Candidate gene polymorphisms in solid cancersS P Balasubramanian
Academic Unit of Surgical Oncology, K Floor, University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 30:593-601. 2004..In this article, we illustrate the types of genetic variation and the complexities involved in their study and discuss their potential in predicting both the occurrence and outcomes of solid cancers...
- Osteoprotegerin (OPG) expression by breast cancer cells in vitro and breast tumours in vivo--a role in tumour cell survival?Ingunn Holen
Bone Oncology Group, Division of Genomic Medicine, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Breast Cancer Res Treat 92:207-15. 2005..To our knowledge these results are the first to demonstrate that OPG can act as an endocrine survival factor for breast cancer cells, as well as reporting the expression patterns of OPG in a large cohort of human breast tumours...
- Osteoprotegerin (OPG)--a potential new role in the regulation of endothelial cell phenotype and tumour angiogenesis?Simon S Cross
Academic Units of Clinical Oncology, Pathology and Surgical Oncology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Int J Cancer 118:1901-8. 2006..This is the first study to report the proangiogenic effects of OPG in vitro, as well as correlating expression of OPG by tumour endothelial cells with clinicopathological data in human tumours...
- Expression of beta-dystroglycan is reduced or absent in many human carcinomasS S Cross
Academic Unit of Pathology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Histopathology 53:561-6. 2008..The aim was to conduct a comprehensive immunohistochemical survey of the expression of beta-dystroglycan in normal human tissues and common cancers...
- Role of genetic polymorphisms in tumour angiogenesisS P Balasubramanian
Academic Unit of Surgical Oncology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
Br J Cancer 87:1057-65. 2002..This article reviews the literature to determine the possible role of angiogenesis-related polymorphisms in cancer. Further research studies in this potentially crucial area of tumour biology are proposed...
- Audit of compliance to adjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy guidelines in breast cancer in a cancer networkS P Balasubramanian
Surgical Oncology, K Floor, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
Breast 12:136-41. 2003..We discuss the possible reasons for non-compliance and show a need to periodically monitor compliance to adjuvant treatment guidelines...
- Description and reporting of surgical data--scope for improvement?P M Robinson
Academic Unit of Surgical Oncology, University of Sheffield
Surgeon 7:6-9. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the appropriateness of descriptive methods (e.g. mean, median, SD, range) and survey the use of inferential methods (statistical tests) in key general surgical journals...
- Systematic review of intravenous methylene blue in parathyroid surgeryH P Patel
Department of Oncology, University of Sheffield, Chesterfield Royal Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Sheffield, UK
Br J Surg 99:1345-51. 2012..The aim of this study was to perform a systematic review of the use of methylene blue in parathyroidectomy...
- Percutaneous biopsy of adrenal and extra-adrenal retroperitoneal lesions: beware of catecholamine secreting tumours!S K Sood
Unit of Surgical Oncology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield
Surgeon 5:279-81. 2007..Approximately 5% of all incidentally detected adrenal lesions are phaeochromocytomas and 25% of phaeochromocytomas are discovered during imaging studies for unrelated disorders. 10% of phaeochromocytomas are extra-adrenal...
- Influence of VEGF-A gene variation and protein levels in breast cancer susceptibility and severitySabapathy P Balasubramanian
Academic Surgical Oncology Unit, University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, England
Int J Cancer 121:1009-16. 2007..VEGF expression in breast cancers was however associated with high grade (p = 0.002) and ER negative tumours (p = 0.03)...
- Heterogeneity of breast cancer associations with five susceptibility loci by clinical and pathological characteristicsMontserrat Garcia-Closas
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, Marylan, United States of America
PLoS Genet 4:e1000054. 2008..Understanding the etiologic heterogeneity of breast cancer may ultimately result in improvements in prevention, early detection, and treatment...
- The CASP8 -652 6N del promoter polymorphism and breast cancer risk: a multicenter studyBernd Frank
Helmholtz University Group Molecular Epidemiology, German Cancer Research Center, DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 581, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Breast Cancer Res Treat 111:139-44. 2008..The combined per allele odds ratio (OR) was 0.97 (95% confidence interval (CI), 95% CI = 0.93-1.02). The present result indicates that the CASP8 -652 6N del variant has no significant effect on BC risk in Europeans...
- Improving the quality of reporting randomized controlled trials in cardiothoracic surgery: the way forwardRavindranath Tiruvoipati
Department of Cardiac Surgery and ECMO, Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, Leicester, United Kingdom
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:233-40. 2006....
- An observational study of cancers among female partners of UK-resident prostate cancer patientsNarasimhan Ragavan
Department of Biological Sciences, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YQ, UK
Cancer Lett 242:88-94. 2006..However, observed rates for breast or lung cancers among PFPs were significantly (P< or =0.001) elevated. Our results suggest no evidence of elevated risk among female partners of CaP males...