Affiliation: University of Newcastle
- Corneal epithelial stem cells: characterization, culture and transplantationSajjad Ahmad
Centre for Stem Cell Biology and Developmental Genetics, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Central Parkway, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Regen Med 1:29-44. 2006..In particular, the translation of basic science advances in LSC biology into therapeutic strategies will be highlighted...
- The culture and transplantation of human limbal stem cellsSajjad Ahmad
Institute of Human Genetics, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
J Cell Physiol 225:15-9. 2010..However, challenges still remain in treating the debilitating disease of limbal stem cell deficiency. Here we discuss some of the questions, which remain to be answered in this field...
- Differentiation of human embryonic stem cells into corneal epithelial-like cells by in vitro replication of the corneal epithelial stem cell nicheSajjad Ahmad
Centre for Stem Cell Biology and Developmental Genetics, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Stem Cells 25:1145-55. 2007..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- An investigation of donor and culture parameters which influence epithelial outgrowths from cultured human cadaveric limbal explantsOliver Baylis
Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Cell Physiol 228:1025-30. 2013..This study shows that an important factor correlating with growth variation is the duration of corneo-scleral tissue in organ culture. Interestingly, donor age was not correlated with limbal explant growth...
- Stem cell therapies for ocular surface diseaseSajjad Ahmad
North East England Stem Cell Institute, Central Parkway, Newcastle upon Tyne NE13BZ, UK
Drug Discov Today 15:306-13. 2010....
- Loss of corneal epithelial stem cell properties in outgrowths from human limbal explants cultured on intact amniotic membraneSai Kolli
North East Stem Cell Institute, Newcastle University, Central Parkway, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3BZ, UK
Regen Med 3:329-42. 2008..In particular, the expression of putative stem cell markers and the colony-forming efficiency of the different zones of the outgrowth were studied...
- A putative role for RHAMM/HMMR as a negative marker of stem cell-containing population of human limbal epithelial cellsSajjad Ahmad
North East Stem Cell Institute and, Institute of Human Genetics, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, International Centre for Life, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Stem Cells 26:1609-19. 2008..Combination of these two cell selection methods presents a novel method for LSC enrichment and characterization. Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- 13 years of cultured limbal epithelial cell therapy: a review of the outcomesOliver Baylis
Institute of Human Genetics, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Cell Biochem 112:993-1002. 2011..Here, we review the outcomes of this procedure over the past 13 years with the aim of highlighting the best culture and surgical techniques to date...
- Phenotypic characterization of murine primitive hematopoietic progenitor cells isolated on basis of aldehyde dehydrogenase activityLyle Armstrong
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, International Centre for Life, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Stem Cells 22:1142-51. 2004..These data strongly suggest that progenitor enrichment from Lin- cells on the basis of ALDH is a valid method whose simplicity of application makes it advantageous over conventional separations...
- Derivation of human embryonic stem cells from day-8 blastocysts recovered after three-step in vitro cultureMiodrag Stojkovic
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Newcastle, Central Parkway, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3BZ, UK
Stem Cells 22:790-7. 2004..The pluripotency of the cell line was confirmed by the formation of teratomas after injection into severely combined immunodeficient mice and spontaneous differentiation under in vitro conditions...
- In vitro modelling of cortical neurogenesis by sequential induction of human umbilical cord blood stem cellsHamad Ali
Institute of Genetic Medicine, International Centre for Life, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3BZ, United Kingdom
Stem Cell Rev 8:210-23. 2012..This may allow detailed analysis of the molecular mechanisms regulating neocortical neuronal specification, thus aiding the development of potential therapeutic tools for diseases and injuries of the cerebral cortex...
- Limiting youth access to tobacco: comparing the long-term health impacts of increasing cigarette excise taxes and raising the legal smoking age to 21 in the United StatesSajjad Ahmad
Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, University of Miami, 1251 Memorial Drive, Coral Gables, FL 33146 0630, United States
Health Policy 80:378-91. 2007..The health benefits of large tax increases, however, would be greater and would accrue faster than raising the minimum legal purchase age for cigarettes...
- Closing the youth access gap: the projected health benefits and cost savings of a national policy to raise the legal smoking age to 21 in the United StatesSajjad Ahmad
Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL 33146 0630, USA
Health Policy 75:74-84. 2005..8 to 15.5% for the 21+ group. The policy would produce a net cumulative savings to society of 212 billion US dollars (driven by reduced medical costs), and the accumulation of nearly 13 million additional QALYs over the period...
- The cost-effectiveness of raising the legal smoking age in CaliforniaSajjad Ahmad
Department of Planning, Policy and Design, University of California, Irvine, CA, USA
Med Decis Making 25:330-40. 2005..47 million QALYs compared to status quo. This research should prove useful to California's policy makers as they contemplate legislation to raise the state's legal smoking age...