Genomes and Genes
Rhian M Touyz
- Montezano A, Dulak Lis M, Tsiropoulou S, Harvey A, Briones A, Touyz R. Oxidative stress and human hypertension: vascular mechanisms, biomarkers, and novel therapies. Can J Cardiol. 2015;31:631-41 pubmed publisher..We also discuss biomarkers to assess the redox state in the clinic, highlight novel strategies to inhibit ROS production, and summarize how lifestyle modifications promote vascular health by reducing oxidative stress. ..
- Montezano A, De Lucca Camargo L, Persson P, Rios F, Harvey A, Anagnostopoulou A, et al. NADPH Oxidase 5 Is a Pro-Contractile Nox Isoform and a Point of Cross-Talk for Calcium and Redox Signaling-Implications in Vascular Function. J Am Heart Assoc. 2018;7: pubmed publisher..Our findings define a novel function for vascular Nox5, linking calcium and reactive oxygen species to the pro-contractile molecular machinery in vascular smooth muscle cells. ..
- Harvey A, Montezano A, Touyz R. Vascular biology of ageing-Implications in hypertension. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2015;83:112-21 pubmed publisher..The complex interaction between biological ageing and blood pressure elevation on the vasculature is highlighted. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: CV Ageing. ..
- Callera G, Antunes T, He Y, Montezano A, Yogi A, Savoia C, et al. c-Src Inhibition Improves Cardiovascular Function but not Remodeling or Fibrosis in Angiotensin II-Induced Hypertension. Hypertension. 2016;68:1179-1190 pubmed..These findings suggest a divergent role for c-Src in Ang II-dependent hypertension, where c-Src may be more important in regulating redox-sensitive cardiac and vascular function than fibrosis and remodeling. ..
- Petrie J, Guzik T, Touyz R. Diabetes, Hypertension, and Cardiovascular Disease: Clinical Insights and Vascular Mechanisms. Can J Cardiol. 2018;34:575-584 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide some insights into current therapies targeting diabetes and cardiovascular complications and introduce some new agents that may have vasoprotective therapeutic potential in diabetes. ..
- Rios F, Lopes R, Neves K, Camargo L, Montezano A, Touyz R. Off-Target Vascular Effects of Cholesteryl Ester Transfer Protein Inhibitors Involve Redox-Sensitive and Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription 3-Dependent Pathways. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2016;357:415-22 pubmed publisher..Findings from our study indicate that CETP inhibitors have vasoactive properties, which may contribute to the adverse cardiovascular effects of these drugs such as hypertension. ..
- Neves K, Rios F, van der Mey L, Alves Lopes R, Cameron A, Volpe M, et al. VEGFR (Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Receptor) Inhibition Induces Cardiovascular Damage via Redox-Sensitive Processes. Hypertension. 2018;71:638-647 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify Noxs and antioxidant enzymes as novel targets underling VEGFI-induced vascular dysfunction. These molecular processes may contribute to vascular toxicity and hypertension in VEGFI-treated patients. ..
- Harvey A, Montezano A, Hood K, Lopes R, Ríos F, Ceravolo G, et al. Vascular dysfunction and fibrosis in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats: The aldosterone-mineralocorticoid receptor-Nox1 axis. Life Sci. 2017;179:110-119 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that aldosterone, which is increased in SHRSP, induces vascular damage through MR-Nox1-p66Shc-mediated processes that modulate pro-fibrotic and pro-inflammatory signaling pathways. ..
- Cooper M, Touyz R. Clinical Science: showcasing the breadth of the journal. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:1559 pubmed publisher..This Editorial introduces the review articles published in this issue to showcase the range of subject areas, such as neurology, the respiratory system, kidney disease and oxidative stress, covered by Clinical Science. ..
- Lopes R, Neves K, Tostes R, Montezano A, Touyz R. Downregulation of Nuclear Factor Erythroid 2-Related Factor and Associated Antioxidant Genes Contributes to Redox-Sensitive Vascular Dysfunction in Hypertension. Hypertension. 2015;66:1240-50 pubmed publisher..6Â±3.1 versus SHRSP 74.6Â±3.2, P<0.05) in SHRSP, effects corrected by L-sulforaphane. Our findings suggest that Nrf2 downregulation contributes to redox-sensitive vascular dysfunction in hypertension. ..
- Antunes T, Callera G, He Y, Yogi A, Ryazanov A, Ryazanova L, et al. Transient Receptor Potential Melastatin 7 Cation Channel Kinase: New Player in Angiotensin II-Induced Hypertension. Hypertension. 2016;67:763-73 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify TRPM7 kinase as a novel player in Ang II-induced hypertension and associated vascular and target organ damage. ..
- Harvey A, Montezano A, Lopes R, Ríos F, Touyz R. Vascular Fibrosis in Aging and Hypertension: Molecular Mechanisms and Clinical Implications. Can J Cardiol. 2016;32:659-68 pubmed publisher..We also highlight the clinical implications of these processes and discuss some novel molecular mechanisms of fibrosis and ECM reorganization. ..
- Hood K, Montezano A, Harvey A, Nilsen M, MacLean M, Touyz R. Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide Phosphate Oxidase-Mediated Redox Signaling and Vascular Remodeling by 16?-Hydroxyestrone in Human Pulmonary Artery Cells: Implications in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Hypertension. 2016;68:796-808 pubmed publisher
- Lucas Herald A, Alves Lopes R, Montezano A, Ahmed S, Touyz R. Genomic and non-genomic effects of androgens in the cardiovascular system: clinical implications. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:1405-1418 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on evidence indicating that interplay between genomic and non-genomic actions of testosterone may influence cardiovascular function. ..
- Callera G, Antunes T, Correa J, Moorman D, Gutsol A, He Y, et al. Differential renal effects of candesartan at high and ultra-high doses in diabetic mice-potential role of the ACE2/AT2R/Mas axis. Biosci Rep. 2016;36: pubmed..These findings suggest novel mechanisms through the protective RAS axis, whereby candesartan may ameliorate diabetic nephropathy. Our findings also highlight potential injurious renal effects of ultra-high dose candesartan in diabetes. ..
- Tsiropoulou S, Touyz R. Assessment of Protein Carbonylation and Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase (PTP) Oxidation in Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells (VSMCs) Using Immunoblotting Approaches. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1614:31-46 pubmed publisher..This is particularly important in systems influenced by the renin angiotensin system, because Ang II is a potent inducer of oxidative stress and redox signaling. ..
- Touyz R. Clinical Science-linking basic science to disease mechanisms. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:511-513 pubmed publisher..For more than 50 years, Clinical Science has been at the interface linking basic science to disease mechanisms. Here, Rhian Touyz, the Editor-in-Chief, describes the journal, its aims and scope, and recent developments. ..
- Callera G, Bruder Nascimento T, Touyz R. Assessment of Caveolae/Lipid Rafts in Isolated Cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1527:251-269 pubmed publisher..We emphasize the need for the combination of several approaches towards understanding the protein components and cellular functions attributed to these distinct microdomains. ..
- Friederich Persson M, Nguyen Dinh Cat A, Persson P, Montezano A, Touyz R. Brown Adipose Tissue Regulates Small Artery Function Through NADPH Oxidase 4-Derived Hydrogen Peroxide and Redox-Sensitive Protein Kinase G-1?. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:455-465 pubmed publisher..BAT may constitute an interesting therapeutic target to restore vascular function and prevent vascular complications in cardiovascular diseases. ..