- Endothelial dysfunction and reduced antioxidant protection in an animal model of the developmental origins of cardiovascular diseaseJoanne L Rodford
Institute of Developmental Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
J Physiol 586:4709-20. 2008..Our findings have established that PR induces significant phenotypic changes in male offspring that may be indicative of an adaptive response during development...
- Maternal undernutrition leads to endothelial dysfunction in adult male rat offspring independent of postnatal dietChristopher Torrens
Liggins Institute, Faculty of Medical and Health Science, University of Auckland and National Research Centre for Growth and Development, Auckland, New Zealand
Br J Nutr 101:27-33. 2009....
- Effects of pre- and periconceptional undernutrition on arterial function in adult female sheep are vascular bed dependentChristopher Torrens
Institute of Developmental Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
Exp Physiol 94:1024-33. 2009..The effect depends on the timing of the insult, but also on the vascular bed studied and vessel hierarchy in the vascular tree...
- Atorvastatin restores endothelial function in offspring of protein-restricted rats in a cholesterol-independent mannerChristopher Torrens
Vascular Biology Group, Institute of Developmental Sciences 887, University of Southampton, School of Medicine, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Rd, Southampton S016 6YD, United Kingdom
Hypertension 53:661-7. 2009..These data suggest that atorvastatin can restore endothelial function in this model, but its effects are gender specific and dependent on the vascular bed...
- Maternal low-protein diet during mouse pre-implantation development induces vascular dysfunction and altered renin-angiotensin-system homeostasis in the offspringAdam J Watkins
School of Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton, UK
Br J Nutr 103:1762-70. 2010....
- Vascular dysfunction induced in offspring by maternal dietary fat involves altered arterial polyunsaturated fatty acid biosynthesisChristopher J Kelsall
Academic Unit of Human Development and Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton, Hampshire, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e34492. 2012....
- Effects of pre-natal and early post-natal undernutrition on adult internal thoracic artery functionOmar A Khan
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Southampton General Hospital, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 28:811-5. 2005..This effect is significantly attenuated by continued undernutrition in early post-natal life. These experiments suggest that in utero and early post-natal undernutrition may be important determinants of graft function in later life...
- Feeding pregnant rats a protein-restricted diet persistently alters the methylation of specific cytosines in the hepatic PPAR alpha promoter of the offspringKaren A Lillycrop
Development and Cell Biology, Biomedical Sciences Building, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton SO16 7PX, UK
Br J Nutr 100:278-82. 2008..These data show for the first time that prenatal nutrition induces differential changes to the methylation of individual CpG dinucleotides in juvenile rats which persist in adults...
- Transmission of raised blood pressure and endothelial dysfunction to the F2 generation induced by maternal protein restriction in the F0, in the absence of dietary challenge in the F1 generationChristopher Torrens
Maternal, Fetal and Neonatal Physiology, Institute of Developmental Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton SO166YD, UK
Br J Nutr 100:760-6. 2008..Risk factors for chronic disease may therefore be heritable by non-genomic processes...
- Mismatched pre- and postnatal nutrition leads to cardiovascular dysfunction and altered renal function in adulthoodJane K Cleal
Institute of Developmental Sciences, University of Southampton, Tremona Road, Southampton SO16 6YD, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:9529-33. 2007..Our findings have substantial implications for devising strategies to reduce the impact of a mismatch in nutrition levels in humans undergoing rapid socio-economic transitions in both developing and developed societies...
- Folate supplementation during pregnancy improves offspring cardiovascular dysfunction induced by protein restrictionChristopher Torrens
Centre for Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, University of Southampton, Princess Anne Hospital, Southampton S016 5YA, United Kingdom
Hypertension 47:982-7. 2006..The concept of developmental origins of adult disease focuses predominately on fetal life but must also include a role for maternal cardiovascular function...
- Dietary protein restriction of pregnant rats in the F0 generation induces altered methylation of hepatic gene promoters in the adult male offspring in the F1 and F2 generationsGraham C Burdge
Developmental Origins of Health and Disease Division, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
Br J Nutr 97:435-9. 2007..This may represent a mechanism for the transmission of induced phenotypes between generations..
- Maternal protein restriction in the rat impairs resistance artery but not conduit artery function in pregnant offspringChristopher Torrens
Centre for Fetal Origins of Adult Disease, University of Southampton, Southampton, SO16 5YA, UK
J Physiol 547:77-84. 2003..We conclude that dietary protein restriction in pregnancy programmes vasodilator dysfunction in isolated resistance arteries of female offspring when they become pregnant, but does not affect conduit arteries...
- Interaction between maternal and offspring diet to impair vascular function and oxidative balance in high fat fed male miceChristopher Torrens
Human Development and Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e50671. 2012..To determine the impact of maternal and post-weaning consumption of a high fat diet on endothelium-dependent vasorelaxation and redox regulation in adult male mouse offspring...
- Low protein diet fed exclusively during mouse oocyte maturation leads to behavioural and cardiovascular abnormalities in offspringAdam J Watkins
School of Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Bassett Crescent East, Southampton SO16 7PX, UK
J Physiol 586:2231-44. 2008..Similar and distinct postnatal outcomes were observed here compared with maternal LPD treatment during post-fertilization preimplantation development which may reflect the relative contribution of the paternal genome...