Joseph Meirion Thomas
- Dr. Herbert Lumley Snow, MD, MRCS (1847-1930): the original champion of elective lymph node dissection in melanomaSusan J Neuhaus
FRCP, Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit, The Royal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Road, London, SW3 6JJ, UK
Ann Surg Oncol 11:875-8. 2004..This article describes the work of Snow within a wider historical context...
- Retroperitoneal sarcomaJ M Thomas
Royal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Road, London, UK
Br J Surg 94:1057-8. 2007
- Prognostic false-positivity of the sentinel node in melanomaJ Meirion Thomas
Royal Marsden Hospital and Imperial College, London, UK
Nat Clin Pract Oncol 5:18-23. 2008..Such patients are incorrectly up-staged, are given inaccurate prognostic information and can undergo unnecessary completion lymphadenectomy and unnecessary adjuvant therapy...
- Caution with sentinel node biopsy in cutaneous melanomaJ M Thomas
Royal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Road, London SW3 6JJ, UK
Br J Surg 93:129-30. 2006
- Concerns relating to the conduct and statistical analysis of the Multicenter Selective Lymphadenectomy Trial (MSLT-1) in patients with melanomaJoseph Meirion Thomas
Royal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Road, London SW3 6JJ, UK
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 62:442-6. 2009..In turn that suggests that removing minimally involved sentinel nodes in a proportion of patients offers no therapeutic benefit...
- Selective lymphadenectomy in sentinel node-positive patients may increase the risk of local/in-transit recurrence in malignant melanomaJ M Thomas
Melanoma and Sarcoma Unit, Department of Surgery, The Royal Marsden Hospital, 203 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JJ, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 30:686-91. 2004..To determine whether sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) for cutaneous malignant melanoma, particularly when followed by selective lymphadenectomy (SL) if involved nodes are found, alters the incidence of local/in-transit recurrence...
- Melanoma recurrence confined to a free flap after isolated limb perfusionC E S Roberts
The Royal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Road, London SW3 6JJ, UK
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 62:e277-9. 2009..The case highlights interesting questions about the mechanism of action of ILP--especially with regard to free flap tissue--and unknowns regarding tumour spread across wound scar boundaries...
- Management of in-transit metastases from cutaneous malignant melanomaA J Hayes
Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit, Department of Surgery, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, UK
Br J Surg 91:673-82. 2004..This article reviews the pathology, clinical significance and treatment options for in-transit disease from melanoma...
- Surgical management of primary retroperitoneal sarcomaD C Strauss
Melanoma Sarcoma Unit, Department of Surgery, Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Br J Surg 97:698-706. 2010..Local recurrence after surgical resection is the main cause of disease-related mortality in patients with primary retroperitoneal sarcoma (RPS). This study analysed predictors of local recurrence and disease-specific survival...
- Epithelioid sarcoma: the clinicopathological complexities of this rare soft tissue sarcomaA J Spillane
Sarcoma Unit, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, England, UK
Ann Surg Oncol 7:218-25. 2000....
- The surgical management of soft tissue tumours arising in the abdominal wallT Pencavel
Sarcoma Melanoma Unit, Department of Surgery, Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Fulham Road, London SW3 6JJ, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 36:489-95. 2010..Soft-tissue tumours can occur at almost any site, including the abdominal wall and represent a biologically diverse group of benign and malignant tumours...
- Incidence, mortality and survival in cutaneous melanomaA V Giblin
Melanoma and Sarcoma Surgical Unit, Royal Marsden Hospital, 203 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JJ, UK
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 60:32-40. 2007..It is likely that any fall in mortality rates from melanoma in the near future will be secondary to early detection. Changes resulting from primary prevention are unlikely to be noticeable for several decades...
- Prognostic index for extremity soft tissue sarcomas with isolated local recurrenceR C Ramanathan
Royal Marsden Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Ann Surg Oncol 8:278-89. 2001..There is a need for a staging system to predict outcome in this subset of patients and also to plan optimal treatment, including adjuvant systemic therapy...
- Soft-tissue tumours of the perineumK A Behranwala
Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 28:437-42. 2002..We present our experience of perineal tumours better to characterize and define the natural history of this condition...
- Surgical management of primary and recurrent retroperitoneal liposarcomaS J Neuhaus
Melanoma Sarcoma Unit, The Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Trust, Fulham Road, London SW3 6JJ, UK
Br J Surg 92:246-52. 2005..Surgery plays a dominant role in the initial and subsequent treatment of retroperitoneal liposarcoma (RPLS). This study was a review of outcomes of patients treated at the Royal Marsden Hospital...
- Clear cell sarcoma (melanoma of soft parts): The Royal Marsden Hospital experienceM A Clark
Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit, Royal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Road, London SW36JJ, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 34:800-4. 2008..Clear cell sarcoma (CCS) is a rare tumour with a propensity for local recurrence and nodal metastasis. About 300 cases have been reported, thus further clarification regarding the course and outcome of the disease is required...
- Clinical outcomes of extra-thoracic solitary fibrous tumoursI M Cranshaw
Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit, Royal Marsden Hospital, London SW3 6JJ, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 35:994-8. 2009..We examined our experience with these rare tumours in an effort to clarify their clinico-pathological behaviour and relate this to their histopathological findings...
- The role of core needle biopsy in the diagnosis of suspected soft tissue tumoursD C Strauss
Sarcoma Unit, Department of Surgery, Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Fulham Road, London, UK
J Surg Oncol 102:523-9. 2010..The objective of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of core needle biopsy (CNB) in patients referred with the suspicion of a soft tissue sarcoma...
- Treatment and outcome of radiation-induced soft-tissue sarcomas at a specialist institutionS J Neuhaus
Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit, Department of Academic Surgery, Royal Marsden Hospital, Chelsea, London, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 35:654-9. 2009..Radiation-induced sarcoma (RIS) is a rare late complication of therapeutic irradiation with a reputation for aggressive pathology and poor outcome...
- Imaging features of retroperitoneal and pelvic schwannomasM J Hughes
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, UK
Clin Radiol 60:886-93. 2005..To describe the imaging features of retroperitoneal and pelvic schwannomas...
- Delay in referral to a specialist soft-tissue sarcoma unitM A Clark
Department of Surgery, Melanoma and Sarcoma Unit, The Royal Marsden Hospital, 203 Fulham Road, Chelsea, London SW3 6JJ, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 31:443-8. 2005..There are no specific symptoms and signs and the disease can mimic more common benign and malignant conditions. It is not surprising, therefore, that diagnosis and referral to a specialist unit is often delayed...
- Accuracy of biopsy techniques for limb and limb girdle soft tissue tumorsI Hoeber
Sarcoma Unit, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, UK
Ann Surg Oncol 8:80-7. 2001..The failure to use Tru-cut biopsy is most likely because of the possibility that STS is not suspected in patients with small tumors even when they are deep to the investing fascia...
- Major amputation for soft-tissue sarcomaM A Clark
Melanoma and Sarcoma Unit, Royal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Road, Chelsea, London SW3 6JJ, UK
Br J Surg 90:102-7. 2003..Advances in oncological practice have reduced the number of major amputations performed for soft-tissue sarcoma, but this remains a valuable, if infrequent, option for both curative and palliative indications...
- Surgical management of soft tissue sarcoma in patients over 80 yearsR A Boden
Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit, Department of Academic Surgery, Royal Marsden Hospital, London SW3 6JJ, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 32:1154-8. 2006..To report outcome on patients over 80years of age with soft tissue sarcoma (STS), with respect to surgical treatment, co-morbidity, complications and survival...
- Serum vascular endothelial growth factor as a tumour marker in soft tissue sarcomaA J Hayes
Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit, Department of Surgery, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, UK
Br J Surg 91:242-7. 2004..In this study serum levels of VEGF were measured before treatment and during follow-up in patients undergoing primary treatment for suspected soft tissue sarcoma (STS) to assess the value of serum VEGF as a tumour marker...
- Vulvar soft tissue tumorsK A Behranwala
Sarcoma and Gynecology Unit, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, UK
Int J Gynecol Cancer 14:94-9. 2004..To report our incidence of soft tissue tumors at this site and to discuss various prognostic factors...
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy as the standard of care for cutaneous melanomaVernon K Sondak
H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 5:483-90. 2007
- Sentinel-node biopsy in melanomaJ Meirion Thomas
N Engl J Med 356:418; author reply 419-21. 2007
- Portsite recurrence after laparoscopy for staging of retroperitoneal sarcomaMatthew A Clark
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 13:290-1. 2003..Nine months later a laparoscopic portsite recurrence was detected clinically and confirmed histologically at resection. Laparoscopy is an unnecessary and inappropriate investigation in retroperitoneal soft-tissue sarcoma...
- Multivariable analysis comparing outcome after sentinel node biopsy or therapeutic lymph node dissection in patients with melanoma (Br J Surg 2007; 94: 1293-1299)J Meirion Thomas
Br J Surg 95:664; author reply 664-5. 2008
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy in malignant melanomaJ Meirion Thomas
BMJ 336:902-3. 2008
- Excision margins in high-risk malignant melanomaJ Meirion Thomas
Royal Marsden Hospital National Health Service Trust, London, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 350:757-66. 2004..Controversy exists concerning the necessary margin of excision for cutaneous melanoma 2 mm or greater in thickness...
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy: not yet standard of care for melanomaJ Meirion Thomas
BMJ 329:170; author reply 170-1. 2004
- Isolated limb perfusion with melphalan and tumor necrosis factor alpha for advanced melanoma and soft-tissue sarcomaAndrew J Hayes
Department of Surgery, Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit, The Royal Marsden Hospital, Fulham Road, London, SW3 6JJ, United Kingdom
Ann Surg Oncol 14:230-8. 2007..The addition of tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha may increase response rates for bulky melanoma and for sarcoma, but the potential for major systemic toxicity has limited its use...
- Sydney Melanoma Unit patients in breach of multicentre selective lymphadenectomy trial protocol?J Meirion Thomas
ANZ J Surg 76:1038-9; author reply 1039-40. 2006
- Are there guidance issues relating to sentinel node biopsy for melanoma in the UK?J Meirion Thomas
Br J Plast Surg 57:689-90; author reply 690-1. 2004
- Cure of cutaneous melanomaJ Meirion Thomas
BMJ 332:987-8. 2006
- Dermatologists should exert a greater influence over sentinel lymph node biopsy for melanoma in the U.KJ Meirion Thomas
Br J Dermatol 152:176-7. 2005
- The place of sentinel node biopsy in melanoma after the Multicenter Selective Lymphadenectomy TrialJ Meirion Thomas
Royal Marsden Hospital, London, UK
ANZ J Surg 76:98-9. 2006
- Time for comprehensive reporting of MSLT-IJ Meirion Thomas
Lancet Oncol 7:9-11; author reply 11-2. 2006
- Expectoration of endobronchial sarcoma metastasisMatthew A Clark
ANZ J Surg 74:913-4. 2004
- Amputation for soft-tissue sarcomaMatthew A Clark
Department of Surgery, Middlemore Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Lancet Oncol 4:335-42. 2003....
- Soft-tissue sarcomas in adultsMatthew A Clark
Sarcoma Unit, the Royal Marsden Hospital National Health Service Foundation Trust, London
N Engl J Med 353:701-11. 2005
- Intra-abdominal metastases from soft tissue sarcomaKasim A Behranwala
Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, United Kingdom
J Surg Oncol 87:116-20. 2004..To define the clinical features and prognosis of patients with abdominal metastasis from primary soft tissue sarcoma (STS) at other sites...
- A quality-of-life study in high-risk (thickness > = or 2 mm) cutaneous melanoma patients in a randomized trial of 1-cm versus 3-cm surgical excision marginsJulia A Newton-Bishop
Division of Genetic Epidemiology, Cancer Research UK Clinical Center, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, UK
J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc 9:152-9. 2004..Patients treated by 3-cm excision were more likely, however, to have a persistent poor view of their scar. Youth and being female were also predictors of poor perception of the scar...
- Primary malignant tumors of the iliopsoas compartmentKasim A Behranwala
Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit Academic Surgery, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, United Kingdom
J Surg Oncol 86:78-83. 2004..Primary malignant tumors of the iliopsoas compartment are rare entities that have been infrequently reported. We present our experience of iliopsoas malignancy to better characterize and define the natural history of this condition...
- Prognosis of lymph node metastasis in soft tissue sarcomaKasim A Behranwala
Sarcoma and Melanoma Unit, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, 203 Fulham Road, London SW3 6JJ, UK
Ann Surg Oncol 11:714-9. 2004..We defined the tumor characteristics and prognosis of patients with regional lymph node metastasis (RLNM) from soft tissue sarcoma...
- A gene expression signature associated with metastatic outcome in human leiomyosarcomasYin Fai Lee
The Male Urological Cancer Research Centre, Institute of Cancer Research, Surrey, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 64:7201-4. 2004..001). Our finding may aid the tailoring of therapy for individual sarcoma patients, where the aggressiveness of treatment is affected by the predicted outcome of disease...