Nigel P Sykes
Affiliation: St Christopher's Hospice
- The pathogenesis of constipationNigel P Sykes
St Christopher s Hospice, London, United Kingdom
J Support Oncol 4:213-8. 2006..A detailed understanding of the mechanisms of constipation, especially in association with illness, is lacking, and most treatments remain nonspecific...
- Sedative use in the last week of life and the implications for end-of-life decision makingNigel Sykes
St Christopher s Hospice, Lawrie Park Road, London SE26 6DZ, England
Arch Intern Med 163:341-4. 2003..The doctrine of double effect has been introduced as an ethical defense. This study aimed to determine how sedative doses change at the end of life and how often the doctrine of double effect might be relevant...
- The use of opioids and sedatives at the end of lifeNigel Sykes
St Christopher s Hospice, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 4:312-8. 2003..Thus, we conclude that the doctrine of double effect is not essential for justification of the use of these drugs, and may act as a deterrent to the provision of good symptom control...
- Morphine kills the pain, not the patientNigel P Sykes
St Christopher s Hospice, London SE26 6DZ, UK
Lancet 369:1325-6. 2007
- End of life issuesNigel Sykes
Palliative Medicine, St Christopher s Hospice, Lawrie Park Road, London, United Kingdom
Eur J Cancer 44:1157-62. 2008..Ethical tensions arise from the assumptions that the use of opioids and sedatives hastens dying, but this is contradicted by available evidence...