Affiliation: Scottish Agricultural College
- Opioid-mediated changes in nociceptive threshold during pregnancy and parturition in the sowS Jarvis
Genetics and Behavioural Sciences Department, SAC Edinburgh, Midlothian, UK
Pain 72:153-9. 1997..Oxytocin is known to be inhibited by endogenous opioids at parturition, thus future research should consider the potential role of increased nociception at birth as a negative feedback to oxytocin release...
- The effect of environment on plasma cortisol and beta-endorphin in the parturient pig and the involvement of endogenous opioidsS Jarvis
Animal Biology Division, SAC Edinburgh, Midlothian, UK
Anim Reprod Sci 52:139-51. 1998..The study also demonstrates the lack of any inhibitory mediation of the HPA axis by endogenous opioids at parturition...
- The effect of opioid antagonism and environmental restriction on plasma oxytocin and vasopressin concentrations in parturient giltsS Jarvis
Animal Biology Division, SAC Edinburgh, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JG, UK
J Endocrinol 166:39-44. 2000....
- Genetic parameters of piglet survival and birth weight from a two-generation crossbreeding experiment under outdoor conditions designed to disentangle direct and maternal effectsR Roehe
Sustainable Livestock Systems Group, Scottish Agricultural College, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JG, United Kingdom
J Anim Sci 88:1276-85. 2010....
- Investigating the behavioural and physiological indicators of neonatal survival in pigsE M Baxter
Animal Behaviour and Welfare, Sustainable Livestock Systems, Scottish Agricultural College, University of Newcastle, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 JHE, UK
Theriogenology 69:773-83. 2008..These results highlight the importance of the intrauterine environment for postnatal physiological and behavioural adaptation and identify additional factors influencing piglet neonatal survival...
- Case gender and severity in cerebral palsy varies with intrauterine growthS Jarvis
Institute of Child Health, University of Newcastle, The Royal Victoria Infirmary, Queen Victoria Rd, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4LP UK
Arch Dis Child 90:474-9. 2005..It has recently been shown that the rate of cerebral palsy increases as intrauterine size deviates up or down from an optimum about one standard deviation heavier than population mean weight-for-gestation...
- Intrauterine growth restriction and fetal body compositionG Larciprete
A Fa R Associazione Fatebenefratelli per la Ricerca, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ospedale Fatebenefratelli Isola Tiberina, Rome, Italy
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 26:258-62. 2005..To assess the differences in fetal body compartments between fetuses with normal growth and those with reduced intrauterine growth, during the third trimester, through ultrasonographic determination of subcutaneous tissue thickness (SCTT)...