Affiliation: Royal Marsden Hospital
- Thway K, Gibson S, Ramsay A, Sebire N. Beta-catenin expression in pediatric fibroblastic and myofibroblastic lesions: a study of 100 cases. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2009;12:292-6 pubmed publisher..beta-catenin is not expressed in other common pediatric fibroblastic and myofibroblastic lesions, and the Wnt pathway does not appear to play a role in their pathogenesis. ..
- Thway K, Fisher C, Debiec Rychter M, Calonje E. Claudin-1 is expressed in perineurioma-like low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma. Hum Pathol. 2009;40:1586-90 pubmed publisher..Although positivity for claudin-1 remains useful as an adjunct marker for perineurioma, it should be taken in context with clinical findings, morphology, and the additional immunoprofile. ..
- Thway K, Rockcliffe S, Gonzalez D, Swansbury J, Min T, Thompson L, et al. Utility of sarcoma-specific fusion gene analysis in paraffin-embedded material for routine diagnosis at a specialist centre. J Clin Pathol. 2010;63:508-12 pubmed publisher..PCR is less sensitive than FISH, and the use of both techniques is optimal for maximising the detection rate of translocation-positive sarcomas. ..
- Mohamed M, Fisher C, Thway K. Low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma: Clinical, morphologic and genetic features. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2017;28:60-67 pubmed publisher..We review LGFMS and SEF, discussing morphology and immunohistochemistry, genetics and molecular findings, and the differential diagnosis. ..
- Mohamed M, Gonzalez D, Fritchie K, Swansbury J, Wren D, Benson C, et al. Desmoplastic small round cell tumor: evaluation of reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction and fluorescence in situ hybridization as ancillary molecular diagnostic techniques. Virchows Arch. 2017;471:631-640 pubmed publisher..However, in cases with appropriate morphology and a typical pattern of immunostaining, FISH is confirmatory of the diagnosis. ..
- Thway K, Mentzel T, Perrett C, Calonje E. Multicentric visceral epithelioid hemangioendothelioma, with extremity dermal deposits, unusual late recurrence on the nasal bridge, and TFE3 gene rearrangement. Hum Pathol. 2018;72:153-159 pubmed publisher..Characterization of the genetics of EHE is important because targeted therapies toward products of the specific WWTR1-CAMTA1 gene fusion may have an impact in the near future. ..
- Thway K. Pathology of soft tissue sarcomas. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2009;21:695-705 pubmed publisher....
- Thway K, Robertson D, Thway Y, Fisher C. Dedifferentiated liposarcoma with meningothelial-like whorls, metaplastic bone formation, and CDK4, MDM2, and p16 expression: a morphologic and immunohistochemical study. Am J Surg Pathol. 2011;35:356-63 pubmed publisher..The CDK4, MDM2, and p16 expression in the whorls suggests that they share a similar genetic background to well-differentiated and dedifferentiated liposarcoma, and that additional genetic events are causal to their distinct morphology...
- Thway K, Fisher C. Tumors with EWSR1-CREB1 and EWSR1-ATF1 fusions: the current status. Am J Surg Pathol. 2012;36:e1-e11 pubmed publisher..We review the clinicopathologic and molecular features of this group of neoplasms unified by the presence of EWSR1-CREB1 and EWSR1-ATF1 genetic fusions. ..