Affiliation: Royal Veterinary College
- Detection of Leishmania infantum DNA mainly in Rhipicephalus sanguineus male ticks removed from dogs living in endemic areas of canine leishmaniosisLaia Solano-Gallego
Department Pathology and Infectious Diseases, Royal Veterinary College of London, United Kingdom
Parasit Vectors 5:98. 2012..sanguineus ticks removed from 41 dogs living in endemic areas of canine leishmaniosis were studied...
- Molecular survey of Rickettsia spp. in sick dogs in ItalyL Solano-Gallego
Laboratorio d Analisi Veterinarie San Marco, Padova, Italy
Zoonoses Public Health 55:521-5. 2008..7%) compared with the mixed breed group (0.7%). No statistical differences were found between seasonal period, region and gender. Based on molecular data, there is infrequent rickettsiemia in dogs...
- LeishVet guidelines for the practical management of canine leishmaniosisLaia Solano-Gallego
Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases, Royal Veterinary College of London, London, UK
Parasit Vectors 4:86. 2011....
- Babesiosis in dogs and cats--expanding parasitological and clinical spectraLaia Solano-Gallego
Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases, Royal Veterinary College of London, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hatfield, Herts AL9 7TA, UK
Vet Parasitol 181:48-60. 2011..Accurate detection and species recognition are important for the selection of the correct therapy and prediction of the course of disease...
- Directions for the diagnosis, clinical staging, treatment and prevention of canine leishmaniosisL Solano-Gallego
Dept Pathology and Infectious Diseases, Royal Veterinary College, University of London, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hatfield, Herts, UK
Vet Parasitol 165:1-18. 2009..Protection against sand fly bites by topical insecticides is effective in reducing infection, and recent development of vaccines has indicated that prevention by vaccination is feasible...
- Babesia canis canis and Babesia canis vogeli clinicopathological findings and DNA detection by means of PCR-RFLP in blood from Italian dogs suspected of tick-borne diseaseL Solano-Gallego
Laboratorio d Analisi Veterinarie, Via sorio 114c, 35141 Padua, Italy
Vet Parasitol 157:211-21. 2008..In conclusion, this study demonstrates the presence of B. c. canis and B. c. vogeli in Italian sick dogs and differences in clinicopathological pattern in these two species of B. canis...
- The Ibizian hound presents a predominantly cellular immune response against natural Leishmania infectionL Solano-Gallego
Departament de Farmacologia i Terapeutica, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
Vet Parasitol 90:37-45. 2000..Thus, the Ibizian hound may be an interesting canine model for the investigation of protective anti-Leishmania immune response...
- Leishmania infantum-specific IgG, IgG1 and IgG2 antibody responses in healthy and ill dogs from endemic areas. Evolution in the course of infection and after treatmentL Solano-Gallego
Departament de Farmacologia i Terapeutica, Facultat de Veterinaria, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193, Bellaterra, Spain
Vet Parasitol 96:265-76. 2001....
- Prevalence of Leishmania infantum infection in dogs living in an area of canine leishmaniasis endemicity using PCR on several tissues and serologyL Solano-Gallego
Departament de Farmacologia i Terapeutica, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 39:560-3. 2001..The results showed that the majority of dogs living in an area where canine leishmaniasis is endemic are infected by Leishmania and that the prevalence of infection is much greater than the prevalence of overt Leishmania-related disease...
- Advantages of real-time PCR assay for diagnosis and monitoring of canine leishmaniosisO Francino
Servei Veterinari de Genètica Molecular, Facultat de Veterinaria, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Vet Parasitol 137:214-21. 2006..The continuous data provided by real-time qPCR could solve the dilemma for the clinician managing cases of canine leishmaniosis by differentiating between Leishmania-infected dogs or dogs with active disease of leishmaniosis...
- Detection of Leishmania infantum DNA by fret-based real-time PCR in urine from dogs with natural clinical leishmaniosisL Solano-Gallego
Clinica Veterinaria Privata San Marco, Padova, Italy
Vet Parasitol 147:315-9. 2007..02). This study demonstrates the presence of Leishmania DNA in urine of dogs with leishmaniosis. Those dogs with severe renal damage present a greater number of Leishmania parasites in urine...
- Cytauxzoon sp. infection in the first endemic focus described in domestic cats in EuropeE Carli
Veterinary Laboratory San Marco, Via Sorio 114 c, 35141 Padua, Italy
Vet Parasitol 183:343-52. 2012..infection in domestic cats living in Italy. The predominance of subclinical erythroparasitemia and the evidence of persistent infection support the hypothesis that the domestic cat might serve as a reservoir host for this infection...
- Clinicopathological findings, molecular detection and characterization of Babesia gibsoni infection in a sick dog from ItalyM Trotta
Laboratorio d Analisi Veterinarie San Marco, Via Sorio, 114c, 35141 Padua, Italy
Vet Parasitol 165:318-22. 2009..The nucleotide sequence was completely identical to that of Babesia gibsoni present in GenBank. This is the first molecular detection and characterization of B. gibsoni infection in a sick dog from Italy...
- Detection of anti-Leishmania immunoglobulin G antibodies in urine specimens of dogs with leishmaniasisL Solano-Gallego
Departament de Farmacologia, Terapèutica, i Toxicologia, Facultat de Veterinaria, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 10:849-55. 2003..Antibody detection in urine could be a noninvasive method for leishmaniasis diagnosis and prognosis in dogs with glomerulonephropathies...
- Evaluation of the efficacy of two leishmanins in asymptomatic dogsL Solano-Gallego
Facultat de Veterinaria, Departament de Farmacologia i de Terapèutica, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Edifici V, Bellaterra, E 08193 Barcelona, Spain
Vet Parasitol 102:163-6. 2001..The leishmanin skin test is a valuable tool, although the results show that the degree of response, as it has been shown in human beings, depends on the preparation used...
- Clinicopathological findings in naturally occurring cases of babesiosis caused by large form Babesia from dogs of northeastern ItalyT Furlanello
Clinica Veterinaria Privata San Marco, Laboratorio Privato d Analisi Veterinarie San Marco, Padova, Italy
Vet Parasitol 134:77-85. 2005..In conclusion, the main clinicopathological findings were a mild to severe thrombocytopenia, a mild to moderate hemolytic anemia, neutropenia and hyperfibrinogenemia...
- Validation of an automated spectrophotometric assay for the determination of cholinesterase activity in canine serumT Furlanello
Laboratorio d Analisi Veterinarie San Marco, Padua, Italy
Vet Res Commun 30:723-33. 2006..This technique conforms to the current standard for precision, linearity and accuracy and is a useful method for the complementary diagnosis of organophosphate or carbamate insecticide intoxication in dogs...
- Tracheal granuloma because of infection with a novel mycobacterial species in an old FIV-positive catD De Lorenzi
San Marco Private Veterinary Clinic, Via Sorio 114 c, 35141 Padua, Italy
J Small Anim Pract 50:143-6. 2009..To our knowledge, this is the first description of a tracheal mycobacterial granuloma in a cat, and the first time, a mycobacterium with this sequence has been identified...
- Little evidence of seasonal variation of natural infection by Leishmania infantum in dogs in SpainH Fernández-Bellon
Departament de Sanitat i Anatomia Animals, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Vet Parasitol 155:32-6. 2008..20%), although this was not statistically significant. Overall, the sandfly season did not have a marked impact on the prevalence L. infantum infection or parasite-specific immune responses analyzed in this study...
- First detection of 'Candidatus Mycoplasma haemolamae' infection in alpacas in EnglandP Crosse
Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Royal Veterinary College, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hertfordshire, AL9 7TA, UK
Vet Rec 171:71. 2012..A substantial agreement between the PCR/DGGE and the species-specific PCR was found (κ=0.86). A significant association was also found between age and infection (P=0.04) while no significant association was found with sex or origin...
- Polymyositis following Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada-like syndrome in a Jack Russell terrierK Baiker
Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases, UK
J Comp Pathol 144:317-23. 2011..To our knowledge this is the first reported case of polymyositis subsequent to VKH-like disease in a dog. In addition, VKH-like disease has not been previously reported in a Jack Russell terrier...