Melanie Jayne R Howes
Affiliation: Royal Botanic Gardens
- Ethnobotanical treatment strategies against Alzheimer's diseaseMelanie Jayne R Howes
Royal Botanic Gardens, Jodrell Laboratory, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 3AB, UK
Curr Alzheimer Res 9:67-85. 2012..g. Crocus sativus, Ginkgo biloba, Salvia species), but other plants and their phytochemicals showing relevant mechanistic effects for AD (e.g. Bacopa monnieri, Centella asiatica, Ptychopetalum olacoides) are also discussed...
- Distinguishing chinese star anise from Japanese star anise using thermal desorption-gas chromatography-mass spectrometryMelanie Jayne R Howes
Royal Botanic Gardens, Jodrell Laboratory, Kew, Richmond, Surrey
J Agric Food Chem 57:5783-9. 2009..TD-GC-MS enables the direct analysis of the volatile components from the pericarps of Illicium and can assist with differentiating the fruits of I. verum from other species of Illicium, particularly the more toxic I. anisatum...
- The role of phytochemicals in the treatment and prevention of dementiaMelanie Jayne R Howes
Royal Botanic Gardens, Jodrell Laboratory, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, UK
Drugs Aging 28:439-68. 2011..biloba. Challenges for the development of phytochemicals as drugs and for quality control of standardized plant extracts are also considered...
- Evaluation of the quality of sandalwood essential oils by gas chromatography-mass spectrometryMelanie Jayne R Howes
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 3AB, UK
J Chromatogr A 1028:307-12. 2004..album oil estimated by GC-MS are suggested. GC-MS are recommended as it assists with authentication and quality control issues associated with sandalwood oils...
- Metabolomic analysis of saponins in crude extracts of Quillaja saponaria by liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry for product authenticationGeoffrey C Kite
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond TW9 3AB, UK
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 18:2859-70. 2004....
- Glycosylated constituents of iris fulva and Iris brevicaulisRui Fang
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, United Kingdom
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 59:124-8. 2011....
- Medicinal plants and dementia therapy: herbal hopes for brain aging?Elaine Perry
Institute of Ageing and Health, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 6BE, UK
CNS Neurosci Ther 17:683-98. 2011....