Affiliation: Royal Brompton Hospital
- What did we learn from the North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference?Diana Bilton
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Brompton Hospital Sydney Street, London SW3 6NP, UK
J R Soc Med 101:S6-9. 2008
- Fertility issues in cystic fibrosisAngela Lyon
Adult CF Centre, Papworth Hospital NHS Trust, Cambridge, UK
Paediatr Respir Rev 3:236-40. 2002..For females, successful pregnancy is possible but careful planning is required. The practical and ethical aspects of reproductive health in CF are discussed...
- End of life care for adult cystic fibrosis patients: facilitating a good enough deathElizabeth Chapman
Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, Papworth NHS Trust, Papworth Everard, Cambridge CB3 8RE United Kingdom
J Cyst Fibros 4:249-57. 2005..This study examined how a number of recent deaths have been handled in an adult CF centre in the UK...
- Managing adults with cystic fibrosisDiana Bilton
Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Cambridge
Practitioner 251:46, 48, 50 passim. 2007
- A randomized controlled trial of a new behavioral home-based nutrition education program, "Eat Well with CF," in adults with cystic fibrosisHelen Watson
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Papworth Hospital, Papworth Everard, Cambridge, CB3 8RE, UK
J Am Diet Assoc 108:847-52. 2008..These need to be identified when subjects progress from pediatric to adult care, and programs such as "Eat Well with CF" are a useful adjunct for registered dietitians trying to manage this diverse but growing population...
- Pulmonary exacerbation: towards a definition for use in clinical trials. Report from the EuroCareCF Working Group on outcome parameters in clinical trialsD Bilton
Royal Brompton Hospital, Respiratory Medicine, London, UK
J Cyst Fibros 10:S79-81. 2011..Which parameters to include as well as the problems associated with the use of scoring systems and symptom clusters are being discussed...
- Inhaled dry powder mannitol in cystic fibrosis: an efficacy and safety studyD Bilton
Royal Brompton Hospital, London, SW3 6NP, UK
Eur Respir J 38:1071-80. 2011..Mannitol showed sustained, clinically meaningful benefit in airway function in CF, irrespective of concomitant rhDNase use. Mannitol appears to have an acceptable safety profile for patients with CF...
- Update on non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasisDiana Bilton
Royal Brompton Hospital, Sydney Street, London, UK
Curr Opin Pulm Med 14:595-9. 2008..There has been debate regarding the requirement for investigations to establish an underlying cause of bronchiectasis. Furthermore, there has been growing interest in establishing the role of bacteria in disease progression...
- Inhaled mannitol for the treatment of cystic fibrosisKatharine Hurt
Department of Cystic Fibrosis, Royal Brompton Hospital, Sydney Street, London, SW3 6NP, UK
Expert Rev Respir Med 6:19-26. 2012..Its formulation as a dry powder makes it quick and convenient to take...
- Primary care summary of the British Thoracic Society Guideline on the management of non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasisAdam T Hill
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Infirmary and University of Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Prim Care Respir J 20:135-40. 2011..Management in primary care is aimed at improving morbidity, and includes; patient education, treatment and monitoring, as well as appropriate referral to secondary care including assessment for long term antibiotics...
- Genetic determinants and epidemiology of cystic fibrosis-related diabetes: results from a British cohort of children and adultsAmanda I Adler
Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Diabetes Care 31:1789-94. 2008..In this study we documented the incidence of CFRD and evaluated the association between mutations responsible for cystic fibrosis and incident CFRD, while identifying potential risk factors...
- The relationship of clinical and inflammatory markers to outcome in stable patients with cystic fibrosisDamian G Downey
Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre, Belfast City Hospital and Queens University, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Pediatr Pulmonol 42:216-20. 2007..3 pM/mg creatinine (P = 0.001), in those patients who subsequently died compared to those that survived. These data suggest there is increased neutrophil degranulation in patients infected with Bc and these patients have a poor outcome...
- Addition of inhaled tobramycin to ciprofloxacin for acute exacerbations of Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in adult bronchiectasisDiana Bilton
Papworth Hospital, Adult CF Centre, Papworth Everard Cambridge, Cambridge CB38RE, UK
Chest 130:1503-10. 2006....
- Osteoclastogenesis during infective exacerbations in patients with cystic fibrosisElizabeth F Shead
Department of Haematology, NHS Foundation Trust, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:306-11. 2006..Adults with cystic fibrosis (CF) are at increased risk of developing osteoporosis. During infective exacerbations, increased production of proinflammatory cytokines and markers of bone resorption have been reported...
- Safety and efficacy of recombinant alpha(1)-antitrypsin therapy in cystic fibrosisS Lorraine Martin
School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Pediatr Pulmonol 41:177-83. 2006..This study demonstrated that nebulized rAAT is safe and well-tolerated, but has a limited effect on NE activity and other markers of inflammation...
- Cystic fibrosis pulmonary disease is not a contra-indication to live-related renal transplantationDamian J McKeon
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:664. 2005
- Patients' knowledge of cystic fibrosis: genetic determinism and implications for treatmentElizabeth Chapman
Centre for Family Research, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
J Genet Couns 13:369-85. 2004..Any important gaps in patient knowledge could usefully be discussed at transition from pediatric to adult care and issues relating to control and genetic determinism discussed with the patients individually...