Klaus W J Wahle
Affiliation: Rowett Research Institute
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids and gene expression in mammalian systemsKlaus W J Wahle
Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 62:349-60. 2003..The latter will at least stimulate controversy in this exciting area of lipid research...
- Conjugated linoleic acid inhibits proliferation and modulates protein kinase C isoforms in human prostate cancer cellsHyun Ju Song
The Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Nutr Cancer 49:100-8. 2004..Increased PKC-delta and decreased PKC-iota membrane abundance was consistent with CLAs eliciting increased apoptosis and, in part, with their antitumor effects...
- Cytokine-induced monocyte adhesion to endothelial cells involves platelet-activating factor: suppression by conjugated linoleic acidAlan A Sneddon
Lipid and Redox Regulation Group, Vascular Health Programme, Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1761:793-801. 2006....
- Effect of a conjugated linoleic acid and omega-3 fatty acid mixture on body composition and adiponectinAlan A Sneddon
Vascular Health Division, Rowett Research Institute, Aberdeen, UK
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:1019-24. 2008....
- Regulation of selenoprotein GPx4 expression and activity in human endothelial cells by fatty acids, cytokines and antioxidantsAlan A Sneddon
Lipid and Redox Regulation Group, Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, UK
Atherosclerosis 171:57-65. 2003..These results indicate that lipids, cytokines and antioxidants modulate GPx4 in a complex manner that in the presence of adequate selenium, may favour protection against potentially proatherogenic processes...
- Cytoprotective effects of phenolic antioxidants and essential fatty acids in human blood monocyte and neuroblastoma cell lines: surrogates for neurological damage in vivoJulie Young
School of Pharmacy, The Robert Gordon University, Schoolhill, Aberdeen, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 78:45-59. 2008..Robust in vitro systems are desirable, enabling a mechanistic investigation of the molecular mechanisms underpinning such effects and identification of further potentially efficacious nutraceuticals...
- Potentiation of the anti-tumour effect of docetaxel by conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs) in breast cancer cells in vitroAlemu Fite
Section of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Aberdeen, Medical School, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 77:87-96. 2007..Results show that CLA isomers augment anti-tumour effects of docetaxel in breast cancer cells and suggest possible dual treatment regimens...
- Age- and dose-dependent effects of an eicosapentaenoic acid-rich oil on cardiovascular risk factors in healthy male subjectsRoberta Cazzola
Department of Preclinical Sciences LITA Vialba, University of Milan, 74 Via G B Grassi, Milan 20157, Italy
Atherosclerosis 193:159-67. 2007..Young males are unlikely to suffer adverse consequences from high EPA intake, whereas older males may have an increased risk of lipoprotein peroxidation...
- Induction of apoptosis and inhibition of NF-kappaB activation in human prostate cancer cells by the cis-9, trans-11 but not the trans-10, cis-12 isomer of conjugated linoleic acidHyun Ju Song
The Robert Gordon University, School of Life Sciences, St Andrews Street, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Prostate 66:839-46. 2006..The present study investigated the effects of CLAs (cis-9, trans-11, and trans-10, cis-12 isomers and a 50:50 mixture) on apoptosis and NF-kappaB activation in LNCaP cells...
- Atherosclerosis: cell biology and lipoproteinsMarie Goua
Curr Opin Lipidol 16:389-91. 2005
- Conjugated linoleic acids: are they beneficial or detrimental to health?Klaus W J Wahle
School of Life Sciences, The Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen AB 25 1GH, UK
Prog Lipid Res 43:553-87. 2004....
- Atherosclerosis: cell biology and lipoproteinsKlaus W J Wahle
Curr Opin Lipidol 15:491-3. 2004
- Conjugated linoleic acids (CLAs) decrease prostate cancer cell proliferation: different molecular mechanisms for cis-9, trans-11 and trans-10, cis-12 isomersJulio J Ochoa
Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, Department of Physiology, University of Granada, C Ramon y Cajal 4, 18071, Granada, Spain
Carcinogenesis 25:1185-91. 2004..Trans-10, cis-12 seems to work preferentially through modulation of apoptosis and cell cycle control, while c9,t11 CLA isomer affects arachidonic acid metabolism...
- Olive oil phenolics: effects on DNA oxidation and redox enzyme mRNA in prostate cellsJose L Quiles
Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology, Department of Physiology, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Br J Nutr 88:225-34; discussion 223-4. 2002..Tyrosol appeared to exhibit pro-oxidant effects (only at high concentrations) and caffeic acid was neutral. Both number and position of hydroxyl groups appear to play a role in the cellular effects of hydroxytyrosol...