M D Shields
Affiliation: Queen's University Belfast
- Chronic cough in childrenMichael D Shields
Queen s University Belfast and Consultant in Paediatric Respiratory Medicine, Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, Centre for Infection and Immunity, Queen s University Belfast, Health Sciences Building, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast, Bt7 9BL, N Ireland, UK
Paediatr Respir Rev 14:100-5; quiz 106, 137-8. 2013..Children with PBB failing to respond to treatment or with specific pointers should be investigated for specific causes of suppurative lung disease...
- The difficult coughing child: prolonged acute cough in childrenMichael D Shields
Respiratory Medicine, Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, Centre for Infection and Immunity, Queen s University Belfast, Health Sciences Building, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast, Bt7 9BL, N Ireland, UK
Cough 9:11. 2013..This cough responds to a completed course of appropriate antibiotics...
- Differential cytopathogenesis of respiratory syncytial virus prototypic and clinical isolates in primary pediatric bronchial epithelial cellsRemi Villenave
Centre for Infection and Immunity, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Queens University Belfast, Belfast BT9 7BL, Northern Ireland
Virol J 8:43. 2011..We hypothesized that such strains may be poorly representative of recent clinical isolates in terms of virus/host interactions in primary human bronchial epithelial cells (PBECs)...
- BTS guidelines: Recommendations for the assessment and management of cough in childrenM D Shields
Department of Child Health, Queen s University of Belfast, Clinical Institute, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BJ, UK
Thorax 63:iii1-iii15. 2008
- Respiratory viral infection in lower airways of asymptomatic childrenS Thavagnanam
Respiratory Research Group, Centre for Infection and Immunity, Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast, UK
Acta Paediatr 99:394-8. 2010..The aim of this study was to determine if asthmatic children have viruses more commonly detected in lower airways during asymptomatic periods than normal children...
- Prevalence and awareness of excess weight in 13 and 14 year olds in Northern Ireland using recent international guidelinesJ W Yarnell
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, UK
Acta Paediatr 90:1435-9. 2001..Only 15% of obese boys compared with 38% of obese girls stated that they were on weight-reducing diets...
- A cluster randomised intervention trial of asthma clubs to improve quality of life in primary school children: the School Care and Asthma Management Project (SCAMP)E E Patterson
Belvoir Health Clinic, South and East Belfast Health and Social Services Trust, Belfast BT8 4ET, UK
Arch Dis Child 90:786-91. 2005..To evaluate the effectiveness of a programme of asthma clubs in improving quality of life in primary school children with asthma...
- The effect of nicotine on basophil histamine releaseM E M Thompson-Cree
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Institute of Clinical Science, The Queen s University of Belfast, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BJ, Northern Ireland, UK
Inflamm Res 53:211-4. 2004..Changes in the immune and inflammatory response are induced by smoking tobacco but underlying mechanisms remain to be elucidated...
- Genetic susceptibility to invasive meningococcal disease: MBL2 structural polymorphisms revisited in a large case-control study and a systematic reviewD T Bradley
Centre for Public Health, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Int J Immunogenet 39:328-37. 2012..13 and 0.04) that indicate systematic problems with the studies. The data from our study and all other available evidence indicate that MBL2 structural polymorphisms do not predispose children or adults to invasive meningococcal disease...
- Antioxidants and protein carbonyls in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of children: normal dataB C Schock
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Queen's University of Belfast, Belfast BT12 6BJ, UK
Pediatr Res 49:155-61. 2001..Further studies will investigate the role of BAL antioxidant concentrations in children with inflammatory respiratory diseases...
- A meta-analysis of the association between Caesarean section and childhood asthmaS Thavagnanam
Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Clin Exp Allergy 38:629-33. 2008..The results of previous studies that have investigated the association between Caesarean section and asthma have been conflicting...
- Children with stable asthma have reduced airway matrix metalloproteinase-9 and matrix metalloproteinase-9/tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 ratioG M Doherty
Respiratory Research Group, Queen s University, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BJ, Northern Ireland
Clin Exp Allergy 35:1168-74. 2005..Structural changes of the airway wall may also be seen in some children early in the course of the disease. Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are key mediators in the metabolism of the extracellular matrix (ECM)...
- Exhaled nitric oxide correlates with airway eosinophils in childhood asthmaT J Warke
Department of Child Health, Institute of Clinical Science, Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast BT12 6BJ, N Ireland, UK
Thorax 57:383-7. 2002..The aim of this study was to compare exhaled nitric oxide levels with inflammatory cells and mediators in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from asthmatic and normal children...
- Cough . 2: Chronic cough in childrenJ C de Jongste
Department of Pediatric Respiratory Medicine, Sophia Children s Hospital Erasmus MC University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Thorax 58:998-1003. 2003..More or less specific diagnoses in children include cystic fibrosis, aspirated foreign body, congenital anatomic abnormalities and primary ciliary dyskinesia...
- T cell cytokine profiles in childhood asthmaV Brown
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Thorax 58:311-6. 2003..The aim of this study was simultaneously to detect surface markers and intracellular production of cytokines in T cells from the airways of children with and without asthma...
- Diagnosing chronic cough in childrenM D Shields
Thorax 61:647-8. 2006
- Hypoglycemia due to adrenal suppression secondary to high-dose nebulized corticosteroidK A Dunlop
Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Pediatr Pulmonol 34:85-6. 2002..We describe a 21-month-old asthmatic boy who had a hypoglycemic seizure during a proven acute adrenal crisis secondary to high-dose nebulized budesonide treatment...
- Non-bronchoscopic sampling and culture of bronchial epithelial cells in childrenG M Doherty
Department of Child Health, Queen s University, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Clin Exp Allergy 33:1221-5. 2003..However, it is difficult to justify bronchoscopy in children to obtain epithelial cells for research purposes...
- Outgrown asthma does not mean no airways inflammationT J Warke
Dept of Child Health The Queen s University of Belfast and The Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, UK
Eur Respir J 19:284-7. 2002..002). There was no relationship between length of remission and degree of airways eosinophilia. Thus, there is persistent airways inflammation in some children with outgrown asthma and this may be a risk factor for future relapse...
- Acute asthma exacerbations and air pollutants in children living in Belfast, Northern IrelandA J Thompson
Department of Child Health, The Queen's University of Belfast, Northern Ireland
Arch Environ Health 56:234-41. 2001..Benzene may be a more reliable method of measuring exposure to vehicle exhaust emissions than measurements of other pollutants...
- Monitoring growth in asthmatic children treated with high dose inhaled glucocorticoids does not predict adrenal suppressionK A Dunlop
Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Arch Dis Child 89:713-6. 2004..To determine whether routine outpatient monitoring of growth predicts adrenal suppression in prepubertal children treated with high dose inhaled glucocorticoid...