Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Queen's University Belfast
- Serum- and HDL3-serum amyloid A and HDL3-LCAT activity are influenced by increased CVD-burdenJane McEneny
Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, United Kingdom Electronic address
Atherosclerosis 244:172-8. 2016..High density lipoproteins (HDL) protect against cardiovascular disease (CVD). However, increased serum amyloid-A (SAA) related inflammation may negate this property. This study investigated if SAA was related to CVD-burden...
- A randomised controlled trial of increasing fruit and vegetable intake and how this influences the carotenoid concentration and activities of PON-1 and LCAT in HDL from subjects with type 2 diabetesJane Ann Daniels
Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Pathology Building, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BJ, UK
Cardiovasc Diabetol 13:16. 2014..Therefore, the aim of this study was to examine if increased F&V consumption influenced the carotenoid content and enzymes associated with the antioxidant properties of HDL in subjects with T2D...
- Plasma clusterin levels and the rs11136000 genotype in individuals with mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's diseaseGemma M Mullan
Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Institute of Pathology, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BJ, Northern Ireland
Curr Alzheimer Res 10:973-8. 2013..The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between plasma clusterin and the rs11136000 genotype in mild cognitive impairment (MCI) and AD...
- High-density lipoprotein subfractions display proatherogenic properties in overweight and obese childrenJane McEneny
Centre for Public Health, Nutrition and Metabolism Group, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Pediatr Res 74:279-83. 2013..Therefore, SAA may be a useful biomarker to identify increased CVD potential in overweight and obese children...
- Pioglitazone protects HDL(2&3) against oxidation in overweight and obese menJane McEneny
Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Nutrition and Metabolism Group, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BJ, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 50:20-4. 2013..However, as pioglitazone's impact on these parameters within high-density lipoprotein (HDL), specifically HDL(2&3), is absent from the literature, this study was performed to address this shortcoming...
- Does a diet high or low in fat influence the oxidation potential of VLDL, LDL and HDL subfractions?J McEneny
Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, BT12 6BJ, UK
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 23:612-8. 2013..Therefore, this study compared the effects of high-fat vs. low-fat weight reduction diets on this parameter...
- Lycopene intervention reduces inflammation and improves HDL functionality in moderately overweight middle-aged individualsJane McEneny
Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, BT12 6BJ, UK
J Nutr Biochem 24:163-8. 2013..Overall, these results show the heart-protective properties of increased lycopene intake...
- Effect of α-lipoic acid and exercise training on cardiovascular disease risk in obesity with impaired glucose toleranceAndrea M McNeilly
Sport and Exercise Sciences Research Institute, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, BT37 OQB, UK
Lipids Health Dis 10:217. 2011..However, when α-lipoic acid is combined with exercise, this atherogenic effect is abolished...
- Rapid isolation of VLDL subfractions: assessment of composition and susceptibility to copper-mediated oxidationJane McEneny
Department of Medicine, The Queen s University, Belfast, UK
J Lipid Res 43:824-31. 2002..The smaller subfractions were more susceptible to oxidation, a trend similar to that reported previously for the oxidation of LDL subfractions...
- Folate: in vitro and in vivo effects on VLDL and LDL oxidationJane McEneny
Nutrition and Metabolism Group, Centre for Clinical and Population Sciences, Queen s University, Belfast, UK
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 77:66-72. 2007..These findings provide further support for the use of folic acid supplements to aid in the prevention of atherosclerosis...
- Randomized controlled trial assessing the effect of simvastatin in primary biliary cirrhosisWilliam J Cash
Department of Hepatology Liver Unit, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, UK
Liver Int 33:1166-74. 2013..This study evaluated the effect of statins in Primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) on endothelial function, anti-oxidant status and vascular compliance...
- α-Tocopherol induces proatherogenic changes to HDL2 & HDL3: an in vitro and ex vivo investigationLauren Wade
Nutrition and Metabolism Group, Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Pathology Building, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BJ, UK
Atherosclerosis 226:392-7. 2013..Additionally, epidemiological studies have identified an inverse relationship between α-tocopherol intake and cardiovascular disease, which has not been translated in randomised controlled trials...
- High density lipoprotein subfractions: isolation, composition, and their duplicitous role in oxidationPeter A C McPherson
Centre for Clinical and Population Sciences, Nutrition and Metabolism Group, Queen s University, Belfast, United Kingdom
J Lipid Res 48:86-95. 2007..Thus, we have identified a potentially duplicitous role for HDL in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis, attributable to both CETP and LCAT...
- Oxidative stress and inflammation in lean and obese subjects with polycystic ovary syndromeSarah A Blair
Nutrition and Metabolism Group, Centre for Public Health, Queen s University, Belfast, and the Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Adelaide and Meath Hospital, Dublin, U K
J Reprod Med 58:107-14. 2013..To determine whether polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) independently influences oxidative stress and inflammation or if the culprit is the comorbidities of obesity and/or insulin resistance common to this condition...
- A dual role for lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase (EC 220.127.116.11) in lipoprotein oxidationPeter A C McPherson
Centre for Clinical and Population Sciences, Nutrition and Metabolism Group, The Queen s University of Belfast BT12 6BJ, Northern Ireland, UK
Free Radic Biol Med 43:1484-93. 2007..Thus, we have demonstrated that the high-density lipoprotein-associated enzyme LCAT may have a significant role to play in lipoprotein modification and hence atherogenesis...
- Susceptibility of low-density lipoprotein to oxidation and circulating cell adhesion molecules in young healthy adult offspring of parents with type 2 diabetesPaul T McSorley
Regional Centre for Endocrinology and Diabetes, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, UK
Metabolism 53:755-9. 2004..Reduced resistance of LDL to oxidation and increased circulating sICAM-1 in young healthy adult offspring of parents with type 2 diabetes may be intrinsic to increased risk of atherosclerosis in these subjects...
- A Cross-Sectional Study Demonstrating Increased Serum Amyloid A Related Inflammation in High-Density Lipoproteins from Subjects with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and How this Association Was Augmented by Poor Glycaemic ControlJane McEneny
Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Institute of Pathology, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BJ, UK
J Diabetes Res 2015:351601. 2015..We suggest that SAA is a useful inflammatory biomarker in T1DM, which may contribute to their increased atherosclerosis risk. ..
- The two faces of α- and γ-tocopherols: an in vitro and ex vivo investigation into VLDL, LDL and HDL oxidationNida Nadeem
Centre for Public Health, Queen s University, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
J Nutr Biochem 23:845-51. 2012..Also, it is now becoming apparent that γ-tocopherol may potentially be more beneficial in relation to cardiovascular health...
- Serum amyloid A-related inflammation is lowered by increased fruit and vegetable intake, while high-sensitive C-reactive protein, IL-6 and E-selectin remain unresponsiveNida Nadeem
Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Pathology Building, Grosvenor Road, BelfastBT12 6BJ, UK
Br J Nutr 112:1129-36. 2014..Overall, the present study provides tangible evidence of the effectiveness of increased F&V intake, which may be of use to health policy makers and the general public. ..
- A curvilinear approach to the kinetic analysis of linoleate peroxidation in aqueous liposomes by 2,2'azobis(2-amidoinopropane) dihydrochloridePeter A C McPherson
School of Applied Science Chemistry, Belfast Metropolitan College, Belfast, UK
Chem Phys Lipids 165:682-8. 2012..This procedure has applicability not only to investigations of lipid peroxidation, but to any system exhibiting sigmoid kinetics...
- Randomised controlled trial of home-based walking programmes at and below current recommended levels of exercise in sedentary adultsMark A Tully
Division of Public Health Medicine and Primary Care, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 61:778-83. 2007..To determine, using unsupervised walking programmes, the effects of exercise at a level lower than currently recommended to improve cardiovascular risk factors and functional capacity...
- Primary biliary cirrhosis is associated with oxidative stress and endothelial dysfunction but not increased cardiovascular riskWilliam J Cash
Liver Unit Regional Centre for Endocrinology and Diabetes, Royal Victoria Hospital Department of Medicine, Queen s University, Belfast, UK
Hepatol Res 40:1098-106. 2010..78 m/s, P = 0.022). Conclusion: PBC patients appear to have reduced vascular risk as assessed by pulse wave velocity but concurrently have evidence of endothelial dysfunction, inflammation and anti-oxidant deficiency...
- The biochemistry of ketogenesis and its role in weight management, neurological disease and oxidative stressPeter Andrew C McPherson
Belfast Metropolitan College, Titanic Quarter Campus, School of Applied Science Chemistry, Belfast, Northern Ireland BT3 9DT, UK
J Physiol Biochem 68:141-51. 2012..Overall, an understanding of ketone body metabolism and its links to human disease may prove to be vital in developing new regimens for the treatment of human disease...
- Novel biomarkers in early diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction compared with cardiac troponin TConor J McCann
The Heart Centre, Royal Victoria Hospital, Grosvenor Road, Belfast BT12 6BA, Northern Ireland, UK
Eur Heart J 29:2843-50. 2008..To evaluate the role of novel biomarkers in early detection of acute myocardial infarction (MI) in patients admitted with acute chest pain...
- Apo J/clusterin expression and secretion: evidence for 15-deoxy-Δ(12,14)-PGJ(2)-dependent mechanismDamien Gates
Nutrition and Metabolism Group, Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Pathology Building, RVH, Grosvenor Road, BT12 6BJ, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1821:335-42. 2012..However, the results do not support a model whereby Cox-2/15d-PGJ(2)-dependent inhibition of NF-κB signalling involves clusterin...
- Manipulation of systemic oxygen flux by acute exercise and normobaric hypoxia: implications for reactive oxygen species generationGareth W Davison
School of Health Sciences, University of Ulster Jordanstown, Newtownabbey, County Antrim BT37 OQB, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 110:133-41. 2006..05). We conclude that a single bout of moderate aerobic exercise increases secondary free radical species. There is also evidence of exercise-induced muscle damage, possibly caused by the increase in free radical generation...
- Phosphatidylserine supplementation and recovery following downhill runningMichael I Kingsley
University of Wales Swansea, Singleton Park, Swansea, United Kingdom
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:1617-25. 2006....
- Exercise-induced endotoxemia: the effect of ascorbic acid supplementationTony Ashton
Department of Sport Science, De Montfort University, Lansdowne Road, Bedford, England, UK
Free Radic Biol Med 35:284-91. 2003..The amelioration of exercise-induced endotoxemia by antioxidant pretreatment implies that it is a free radical-mediated process while the use of the ascorbate radical as a marker of oxidative stress in supplemented systems is limited...
- Regulation of free radical outflow from an isolated muscle bed in exercising humansDamian M Bailey
Depts of Anesthesiology and Surgery, Colorado Center for Altitude Medicine and Physiology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, PO Box 6508, Mail Stop F524, Aurora, CO 80111, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 287:H1689-99. 2004....
- Electron paramagnetic spectroscopic evidence of exercise-induced free radical accumulation in human skeletal muscleDamian M Bailey
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Glamorgan, Pontypridd, UK
Free Radic Res 41:182-90. 2007..These findings provide the first direct evidence for intramuscular free radical accumulation and lipid peroxidation following acute exercise in humans...
- Vitamin C prophylaxis promotes oxidative lipid damage during surgical ischemia-reperfusionDamian M Bailey
Department of Physiology, University of Glamorgan, Pontypridd CF37 1DL, UK
Free Radic Biol Med 40:591-600. 2006..The subsequent release of LH into the systemic circulation may have catalyzed formation of second-generation radicals implicated in the regulation of vascular permeability and angiogenesis...
- Effects of phosphatidylserine on exercise capacity during cycling in active malesMichael I Kingsley
Department of Sports Science, University of Wales Swansea, Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:64-71. 2006....