V A Holmes
Affiliation: Queen's University Belfast
- Evaluation of a DVD for women with diabetes: impact on knowledge and attitudes to preconception careV A Holmes
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Queen s University Belfast, UK
Diabet Med 29:950-6. 2012..To determine if an educational DVD increases knowledge and changes attitudes of women with diabetes towards preconception care...
- Plasma levels of the immunomodulatory cytokine interleukin-10 during normal human pregnancy: a longitudinal studyV A Holmes
Northern Ireland Centre for Diet and Health NICHE, University of Ulster, BT52 1SA, Northern Ireland, Coleraine, UK
Cytokine 21:265-9. 2003..These findings help clarify previous conflicting results and establish a range for plasma levels of IL-10 in normal healthy pregnancy...
- Changes in haemostasis during normal pregnancy: does homocysteine play a role in maintaining homeostasis?Valerie A Holmes
Northern Ireland Centre for Diet and Health NICHE, University of Ulster, Coleraine BT52 1SA, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 62:479-93. 2003....
- Association between breast-feeding and anthropometry and CVD risk factor status in adolescence and young adulthood: the Young Hearts Project, Northern IrelandValerie A Holmes
School of Nursing and Midwifery, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Public Health Nutr 13:771-8. 2010..To examine the association between breast-feeding and blood pressure, anthropometry and plasma lipid profile in both adolescence and young adulthood...
- An exploration of knowledge and attitudes related to pre-pregnancy care in women with diabetesM Spence
Nursing and Midwifery Research Unit, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Diabet Med 27:1385-91. 2010..We sought to determine knowledge and attitudes of women with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes of childbearing age towards pre-pregnancy care...
- Vitamins C and E for prevention of pre-eclampsia in women with type 1 diabetes (DAPIT): a randomised placebo-controlled trialDavid R McCance
Regional Centre for Endocrinology and Diabetes, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, UK
Lancet 376:259-66. 2010..We aimed to assess whether supplementation with vitamins C and E reduced incidence of pre-eclampsia in women with type 1 diabetes...
- Soluble P-selectin levels during normal pregnancy: a longitudinal studyV A Holmes
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine, UK
BJOG 109:997-1002. 2002..This finding clarifies previous conflicting results on platelet activation in normal pregnancy, and is in agreement with those earlier studies which reported, using other methods, increased platelet activation in normal pregnancy...
- The Diabetes and Pre-eclampsia Intervention TrialV A Holmes
Department of Medicine, Queen's University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 87:66-71. 2004..The primary outcome of DAPIT is pre-eclampsia. Secondary outcomes include endothelial activation (PAI-1/PAI-2) and birthweight centile...
- Homocysteine is lower in the third trimester of pregnancy in women with enhanced folate status from continued folic acid supplementationValerie A Holmes
Northern Ireland Centre for Food and Health (NICHE, School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulster, Coleraine, UK
Clin Chem 51:629-34. 2005..These results indicate a potential role for continued folic acid supplementation in reducing pregnancy complications associated with hyperhomocysteinemia...
- Haemostasis in normal pregnancy: a balancing act?V A Holmes
Department of Medicine, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast BT12 6BW, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 33:428-32. 2005..This balance is maintained, at least partly, by an increase in fibrinolytic activity, but decreases in other factors such as factor XI and monocyte tissue factor expression may also serve to counterbalance procoagulant changes...
- Vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency in pregnant women: a longitudinal studyValerie A Holmes
Nursing and Midwifery Research Unit, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Queen s University, Belfast BT9 5BN, UK
Br J Nutr 102:876-81. 2009..Given the potential consequences of hypovitaminosis D on health outcomes, vitamin D supplementation, perhaps at higher doses than currently available, is needed to improve maternal vitamin D nutriture...
- Tissue factor expression on monocyte subpopulations during normal pregnancyValerie A Holmes
Northern Ireland Centre for Diet and Health NICHE, University of Ulster, Coleraine, UK
Thromb Haemost 87:953-8. 2002..These results suggest that, in order to maintain homeostasis in haemostasis in an otherwise hypercoagulable state, monocyte TF expression is reduced during normal pregnancy...
- Could antioxidant supplementation prevent pre-eclampsia?Valerie A Holmes
Centre for Clinical and Population Sciences, Queen s University Belfast, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 64:491-501. 2005..The results of these trials are awaited with interest...