Affiliation: Queen Mary
- Cumulative flying time and risk of venous thromboembolismPeter K MacCallum
Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
Br J Haematol 155:613-9. 2011..The risks of VTE in those with a higher baseline risk due to surgery, previous VTE or obesity are further increased by air travel...
- Low-intensity warfarin reduces thrombin generation and fibrin turnover, but not low-grade inflammation, in men at risk of myocardial infarctionPeter K MacCallum
Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Br J Haematol 127:448-50. 2004..02 and 0.03 respectively); levels fell as INR increased (P for trend 0.04 and 0.002 respectively). C-reactive protein did not vary with INR. The efficacy of warfarin is related to reductions in thrombin generation and fibrin turnover...
- Markers of hemostasis and systemic inflammation in heart disease and atherosclerosis in smokersPeter K MacCallum
Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ, UK
Proc Am Thorac Soc 2:34-43. 2005..In summary, smoking predisposes to coronary heart disease and the mechanisms may involve proinflammatory and procoagulant changes. These changes may be more marked in smokers with COPD...
- Lack of effect of influenza immunisation on anticoagulant control in patients on long-term warfarinPeter MacCallum
Department of Haematology, Barts and The London NHS Trust, London, UK
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 16:786-9. 2007..We therefore prospectively evaluated the effect of influenza vaccination on International Normalised Ratio (INR) control in patients on long-term warfarin...
- Associations of haemostatic variables with body mass index: a community-based studyLouise K Bowles
MRC Cardiovascular Research Group, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Square, London, UK
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 14:569-73. 2003..Gender influences the association of certain inflammatory variables with BMI so the sexes should be considered separately in studies of inflammation and obesity...
- Airway and systemic inflammation and decline in lung function in patients with COPDGavin C Donaldson
Academic Unit of Respiratory Medicine, St Bartholomew s and Royal London Hospital School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
Chest 128:1995-2004. 2005..Patients with COPD experience lower airway and systemic inflammation, and an accelerated decline in FEV1. There is no evidence on whether this inflammation changes over time, or if it is associated with a faster decline in FEV1...
- Functional definition and characterization of acute traumatic coagulopathyRoss Davenport
Trauma Sciences, Blizard Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Bart s and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, UK
Crit Care Med 39:2652-8. 2011..To identify an appropriate diagnostic tool for the early diagnosis of acute traumatic coagulopathy and validate this modality through prediction of transfusion requirements in trauma hemorrhage...