- The accuracy of primary care teams in diagnosing disorders of the shoulderShelain Patel
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, University College Hospital, London, UK
J Eval Clin Pract 17:118-22. 2011..The aim of this retrospective, observational study was to determine the accuracy of diagnoses given by a multitude of primary care services to patients referred to an orthopaedic upper limb surgeon with a focus towards shoulder pathology...
- Bearing couples in total hip arthroplastyHiteshkumar Tailor
University College Hospital, London
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 71:446-50. 2010..The choice of bearing couple used for articulation should be tailored to the patient. This article reviews the history of different bearing surfaces, and outlines the advantages and disadvantages that may influence their use...
- Factors influencing foundation programme choice among medical studentsShelain Patel
Department of Orthopaedics, University College London Hospital, UK
JRSM Short Rep 1:4. 2010..The aim of this study was to find out the factors influencing choice of foundation programme among medical students...
- Does the DVR(®) plate restore bony anatomy following distal radius fractures?S Patel
University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 96:49-54. 2014..Furthermore, we wanted to identify the percentage of cases that were reduced to acceptable limits, and determine whether the grade of the surgeon and fracture type was a confounding influence on this reduction...
- Collateral ligament injuries of the metacarpophalangeal joint of the thumb: a treatment algorithmShelain Patel
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, University College Hospital, 235 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BU UK
Strategies Trauma Limb Reconstr 5:1-10. 2010..We present the relevant clinical anatomy, mechanism of injury, methods of treatment available and suggest a single treatment algorithm for use in the management of these injuries...
- Are leg length and hip offset comparable after hip resurfacing and cementless total hip arthroplasty?S Patel
Department of Orthopaedics, University College Hospital, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 93:465-9. 2011..The purpose of this study was to determine if hip resurfacing arthroplasty (HRA) and cementless total hip arthroplasty (THA) were comparable in correcting leg length and hip offset in patients with primary osteoarthritis...
- The use of fibrin glue in surgery of the kneeS Patel
Department of Orthopaedics, University College Hospital, 235 Euston Road, London NW1 2BU, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 92:1325-31. 2010..Consequently, it has the potential to be used in a number of ways in orthopaedic surgery. The purpose of this review is to address its use in surgery of the knee in which it appears to offer great promise...
- Post-traumatic myositis ossificans of the sternocleidomastoid following fracture of the clavicle: a case reportShelain Patel
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Kingston Hospital, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, UK
Cases J 1:413. 2008..abstract:..
- The effects of a non-operative multimodal programme on osteoarthritis of the kneeShelain Patel
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, University College Hospital, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 92:467-71. 2010..The purpose of this study was to determine if a multimodal programme including physiotherapy and education could improve the symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knee across various severities of disease...
- Successful ACL reconstruction with a variant of the pes anserinusShelain Patel
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, University College Hospital, London, NW1 2BU, UK
J Orthop Traumatol 10:203-5. 2009..This variant was used to construct the graft, and at 1 year review the patient had returned to full sporting activities with no complications encountered...
- Initial implant stability predicts migration but not failure in cementless acetabular revision with bone graftingShelain Patel
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University College Hospital, London NW1 2BU, UK
J Arthroplasty 28:832-7. 2013..0159); subanalysis suggested that achieving host-bone contact in at least part of the dome and posterior column is important...
- Knee arthroplasty with a medially conforming ball-and-socket tibiofemoral articulation provides better functionFahad Hossain
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, University College Hospital, 235 Euston Road, London NW1 2BU, UK
Clin Orthop Relat Res 469:55-63. 2011..Compared to a conventional, posterior-stabilized knee design, it provides AP stability throughout the entire ROM. However, it is unclear whether this design difference translates to clinical and functional improvement...
- Midterm assessment of causes and results of revision total knee arthroplastyFahad Hossain
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, University College London Hospital, 250 Euston Road, London NW1 2PG, UK
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:1221-8. 2010..There is limited information regarding revision total knee arthroplasty (TKA) with respect to etiology, outcome, and long-term survival comparing different implant types...
- Trochanteric fixation using a third-generation cable device--minimum follow-up of 3 yearsShelain Patel
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University College Hospital, London, UK
J Arthroplasty 27:477-81. 2012..There were 2 cases of nonunion. A third-generation cable system appears to improve upon early-generation implants and provide favorable outcomes for reattachment of a trochanteric fragment in a variety of clinical scenarios...
- Impingement of a fibroma of the extensor tendon sheath on the extensor retinaculumShelain Patel
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma, University College Hospital, 235 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BU UK
J Hand Microsurg 2:31-2. 2010..Surgical exploration unexpectedly demonstrated the cause to be a fibroma of the tendon sheath impinging on the extensor retinaculum. Full recovery was demonstrated at sixmonth review following removal of the lesion...
- The impact of elective knee/hip replacement surgery and thromboprophylaxis with rivaroxaban or dalteparin on thrombin generationLaura Green
Department of Haematology, Haemostasis Research Unit, University College London Department of Orthopaedics, University College London Hospitals, London, UK
Br J Haematol 151:469-76. 2010..TG increases during hip/knee replacement surgery. Rivaroxaban inhibits TG more than dalteparin at 24 h after surgery...
- Gluteus medius tears: an under-diagnosed pathologyMoataz El-Husseiny
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, University College London Hospitals, London
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 72:12-6. 2011..This review presents the relevant anatomy, pathophysiology, diagnostic workup, differential diagnosis and management of these tears...