Affiliation: Oxleas NHS Trust
- Prior antipsychotic prescribing in patients currently receiving clozapine: a case note reviewDavid M Taylor
Maudsley Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Psychiatry 64:30-4. 2003..It is thought that only clozapine is likely to be effective in such cases and that other drugs are ineffective. We sought to discover prior patterns of antipsychotic prescribing in schizophrenic patients eventually prescribed clozapine...
- Augmentation with a second antipsychotic in patients with schizophrenia who partially respond to clozapine: a meta-analysisCarol Paton
Department of Psychological Medicine, Imperial College, University College, London, UK
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:198-204. 2007....
- Prescribing in pregnancyCarol Paton
Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, Pinewood House, Pinewood Place, Dartford, Kent, UK
Br J Psychiatry 192:321-2. 2008..Up-to-date information should be shared as fully as possible with the pregnant woman and a treatment plan agreed jointly...
- Standards of lithium monitoring in mental health Ttrusts in the UKNoel Collins
Prescribing Observatory for Mental Health, Royal College of Psychiatrists Centre for Quality Improvement, 4th Floor, Standon House, 21 Mansell Street, London E18AA, UK
BMC Psychiatry 10:80. 2010..Adherence to these recommendations has not been subject to national UK audit...
- Lithium in bipolar and other affective disorders: prescribing practice in the UKCarol Paton
Centre for Mental Health, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Charing Cross Campus, St Dunstan s Road, London, UK
J Psychopharmacol 24:1739-46. 2010..A significant minority of patients prescribed lithium had a sub-therapeutic blood level and so may be at high risk of relapse...
- Patterns of antipsychotic and anticholinergic prescribing for hospital inpatientsCarol Paton
Oxleas NHS Trust, Pinewood House, Dartford, Kent, UK
J Psychopharmacol 17:223-9. 2003..Antipsychotic prescribing often deviates from recommended practice. Nursing staff have considerable discretion to administer large doses of antipsychotics on an 'as required' basis...
- The use of prescribing indicators to measure the quality of care in psychiatric inpatientsC Paton
Oxleas NHS Trust, Pinewood House, Pinewood Place, Dartford, Kent DA2 7WG, UK
Qual Saf Health Care 13:40-5. 2004..To explore the potential for using seven prescribing indicators, individually and in combination, to measure prescribing quality for hospitalised psychiatric patients...
- Nature and quality of antipsychotic prescribing practice in UK psychiatry of intellectual disability servicesC Paton
Pharmacy, Oxleas NHS Trust, Dartford, UK
J Intellect Disabil Res 55:665-74. 2011..We sought to identify the range of indications for which antipsychotic drugs are prescribed in people with ID and to audit clinical practice against the standards...
- Generic clozapine: outcomes after switching formulationsCarol Paton
Oxleas NHS Trust, Dartford, Kent, UK
Br J Psychiatry 189:184-5. 2006..There was no evidence of clinical deterioration or need to use higher dosages. Generic clozapine is not inferior to Clozaril...
- Screening for the metabolic syndrome in community psychiatric patients prescribed antipsychotics: a quality improvement programmeT R E Barnes
Department of Psychological Medicine, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Charing Cross Campus, London, UK
Acta Psychiatr Scand 118:26-33. 2008..The aim was to evaluate a quality improvement programme designed to increase screening for the metabolic syndrome in community psychiatric patients prescribed antipsychotics...
- High-dose and combination antipsychotic prescribing in acute adult wards in the UK: the challenges posed by p.r.n. prescribingCarol Paton
Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, Pinewood House, Pinewood Place, Dartford, Kent DA2 7WG, UK
Br J Psychiatry 192:435-9. 2008..Clinical guidelines recommend the routine use of a single antipsychotic drug in a standard dose, but prescriptions for high-dose and combined antipsychotics are common in clinical practice...
- The use of aromatherapy to treat behavioural problems in dementiaQuynh Anh Nguyen
Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, Dartford, Kent, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 23:337-46. 2008..Aromatherapy is an option that has been recommended for use in dementia. We aimed to review the evidence supporting the use of aromatherapy in BPSD...
- Medication prescribed to people with personality disorder: the influence of patient factors and treatment settingM J Crawford
Centre for Mental Health, Imperial College London, UK
Acta Psychiatr Scand 124:396-402. 2011..To examine the extent of use and clinical rationale for the prescribing of psychotropic drugs for people with personality disorder (PD) who are in contact with mental health services...
- Assessment of adverse effects in clinical studies of antipsychotic medication: survey of methods usedAlison Pope
Department of Psychological Medicine, Centre for Mental Health, Imperial College London, Charing Cross Campus, London W6 8RP, UK
Br J Psychiatry 197:67-72. 2010..Clinical studies of antipsychotic medication are a primary source of data on the nature of, and relative liability for, adverse effects, relevant to prescribing decisions in clinical practice...
- Prevalence and nature of side effects during clozapine maintenance treatment and the relationship with clozapine dose and plasma concentrationBabur Yusufi
West London Mental Health NHS Trust, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, Department of Psychological Medicine, London, UK
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 22:238-43. 2007..The use of target plasma concentrations below those used for acute treatment should be explored as a strategy for minimizing side effects...
- Undiagnosed impaired fasting glucose and diabetes mellitus amongst inpatients receiving antipsychotic drugsDavid Taylor
Pharmacy Department, Maudsley Hospital, London, UK
J Psychopharmacol 19:182-6. 2005..Importantly, database analyses may underestimate the true prevalence of diabetes in similar populations and erroneously ascribe increased risk to certain drug treatments...
- Antipsychotic long-acting injections: prescribing practice in the UKThomas R E Barnes
Department of Psychological Medicine, Imperial College London, London, UK
Br J Psychiatry Suppl 52:S37-42. 2009..Use of LAIs has been associated with male gender and younger age...
- A UK audit of screening for the metabolic side effects of antipsychotics in community patientsThomas R E Barnes
Department of Psychological Medicine, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Charing Cross Campus, London W6 8RP, UK
Schizophr Bull 33:1397-403. 2007....
- Obesity, dyslipidaemias and smoking in an inpatient population treated with antipsychotic drugsC Paton
Pharmacy Department, Oxleas NHS Trust, Dartford, Kent, UK
Acta Psychiatr Scand 110:299-305. 2004..Our aims were to determine the apparent and actual prevalence of the modifiable risk factors for cardiovascular disease: obesity, hyperlipidaemia and smoking, in hospitalized patients treated with antipsychotic drugs...
- Informing patients of the teratogenic potential of mood stabilizing drugs: a case note review of the practice of psychiatristsLaraine James
Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, Dartford, Kent, UK
J Psychopharmacol 21:815-9. 2007....
- Medication errors in mental healthcare: a systematic reviewIan D Maidment
Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust, St Martin s Hospital, Canterbury, UK
Qual Saf Health Care 15:409-13. 2006..It has been estimated that medication error harms 1-2% of patients admitted to general hospitals. There has been no previous systematic review of the incidence, cause or type of medication error in mental healthcare services...
- Testing for diabetes in hospitalised patients prescribed antipsychotic drugsDavid Taylor
Pharmacy Department, Maudsley Hospital, London SE5 8AZ, UK
Br J Psychiatry 185:152-6. 2004..Studies using computer databases suggest that atypical antipsychotic agents are more likely to be associated with diabetes than are conventional drugs...