Rowan H Harwood
Affiliation: Nottingham City Hospital
- Do we still need care homes?Rowan H Harwood
Age Ageing 33:529-30. 2004
- Falls and health status in elderly women following first eye cataract surgery: an economic evaluation conducted alongside a randomised controlled trialTracey H Sach
School of Chemical Sciences and Pharmacy, University of East Anglia, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 91:1675-9. 2007..To evaluate the cost-effectiveness of first eye cataract surgery compared with no surgery from a health service and personal social services perspective...
- Commentary: Disability amongst elderly people world-wide: the need for multi-dimensional health assessmentRowan H Harwood
Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Int J Epidemiol 32:988-9. 2003
- A randomised, controlled comparison of different calcium and vitamin D supplementation regimens in elderly women after hip fracture: The Nottingham Neck of Femur (NONOF) StudyRowan H Harwood
Health Care of the Elderly, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Age Ageing 33:45-51. 2004..survivors of hip fracture are at 5- to 10-fold risk of a second hip fracture. There is little consensus about secondary prevention. Many are given calcium and vitamin D, but the evidence supporting this is circumstantial...
- Current and future worldwide prevalence of dependency, its relationship to total population, and dependency ratiosRowan H Harwood
Health Care of the Elderly, B Floor South Block, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, England
Bull World Health Organ 82:251-8. 2004..To estimate the number of people worldwide requiring daily assistance from another person in carrying out health, domestic or personal tasks...
- The importance of acuity, stereopsis, and contrast sensitivity for health-related quality of life in elderly women with cataractsSayan Datta
Department of Ophthalmology, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:1-6. 2008..To investigate the relative contribution of visual and other factors to quality of life among elderly women with bilateral cataract...
- Hypovitaminosis D and "functional hypoparathyroidism"--the NoNoF (Nottingham Neck of Femur Study)Opinder Sahota
HCE, B Floor South Block, QMC, University Hospital, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Age Ageing 32:465-6. 2003
- A comparison of different balance tests in the prediction of falls in older women with vertebral fractures: a cohort studyRob Morris
Nottingham City Hospital, UK
Age Ageing 36:78-83. 2007..people with vertebral fractures are at high risk of developing hip fractures. Falls risk is important in the pathogenesis of hip fractures...
- The prevalence of mental health problems among older adults admitted as an emergency to a general hospitalSarah E Goldberg
Division of Rehabilitation and Ageing, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Age Ageing 41:80-6. 2012..A high prevalence of co-morbid mental health problems is reported among older adults admitted to general hospitals...
- Why are family carers of people with dementia dissatisfied with general hospital care? A qualitative studyFiona J Jurgens
Division of Rehabilitation and Ageing, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
BMC Geriatr 12:57. 2012..Families and other carers report widespread dissatisfaction with general hospital care for confused older people...
- Falls and health status in elderly women following second eye cataract surgery: a randomised controlled trialAlexander J E Foss
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital, Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Age Ageing 35:66-71. 2006..CONCLUSION: second eye cataract surgery improves visual disability and general health status. The effect on rate of falling remains uncertain...
- Specialist nurses to evaluate elderly in-patients referred to a department of geriatric medicineRowan H Harwood
Health Care of the Elderly, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Age Ageing 31:401-4. 2002....
- Mental capacity assessments and discharge decisionsRobert Stewart
King's College London (Institute of Psychiatry, Box 60, De Crespigny Park, London SE5 8AF, UK
Age Ageing 34:549-50. 2005
- Sooner and healthier: a randomised controlled trial and interview study of an early discharge rehabilitation service for older peopleAmanda L Cunliffe
Ageing and Disability Research Unit, B Floor Medical School, University Hospital Nottingham, UK
Age Ageing 33:246-52. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: Some older people can be discharged from hospital sooner, with better health outcomes using a well-staffed and organised patient-centred early discharge service providing rehabilitation...
- What constitutes health-related quality of life in dementia? Development of a conceptual framework for people with dementia and their carersSarah C Smith
Section of Mental Health and Ageing, Health Services Research Department, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 20:889-95. 2005..We aimed to develop a conceptual framework of HRQL in dementia from the perspective of people with dementia and their carers and to examine differences in the reports of the HRQL of these two groups...