G P Aithal
Affiliation: Nottingham University Hospitals
- Case definition and phenotype standardization in drug-induced liver injuryG P Aithal
Nottingham Digestive Diseases Centre, National Institute for Health Research Biomedical Research Unit, Nottingham University Hospital National Health Service Trust, Nottingham, UK
Clin Pharmacol Ther 89:806-15. 2011..Consensus was also reached on approaches to characterizing DILI in the setting of chronic liver diseases, including autoimmune hepatitis (AIH)...
- Trends in the incidence of primary liver and biliary tract cancers in England and Wales 1971-2001J West
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Nottingham Medical School, Queen s Medical Centre University Hospital, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Br J Cancer 94:1751-8. 2006..There has been a halving in the incidence of gallbladder cancer and a reduction of a third in extrahepatic bile duct cancer...
- The communication of a secondary care diagnosis of autoimmune hepatitis to primary care practitioners: a population-based studyFumi Varyani
Department of Gastroenterology, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham University Hospital NHS Trust, Derby Road, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, United Kingdom
BMC Health Serv Res 13:161. 2013..The aim of this study therefore was to assess the proportion of consultant hepatologist diagnoses of Autoimmune Hepatitis which were accurately recorded in General Practice computerised records...
- Hepatotoxicity related to antirheumatic drugsGuruprasad P Aithal
Nottingham Digestive Diseases Centre, National Institute of Health Research Biomedical Research Unit, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Queen s Medical Centre, Derby Road, Nottingham, UK
Nat Rev Rheumatol 7:139-50. 2011..Detailed understanding of genetic and environmental factors underlying an individual's susceptibility would enable risk reduction and potentially primary prevention of hepatotoxicity...
- EUS-guided tissue sampling: comparison of "dual sampling" (Trucut biopsy plus FNA) with "sequential sampling" (Trucut biopsy and then FNA as required)G P Aithal
Wolfson Digestive Diseases Centre, Queen s Medical Centre University Hospital, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Endoscopy 39:725-30. 2007..The aim of this study was to develop a strategy of combining these two EUS-guided sampling techniques in order to maximize the diagnostic accuracy and minimize duplication...
- Mind the gapGuruprasad P Aithal
Nottingham Digestive Diseases Centre, NIHR Biomedical Research Unit, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Altern Lab Anim 38:1-4. 2010..The way in which these knowledge gaps are being bridged by studies involving the use of human tissues and primary cells are described...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-induced hepatotoxicityGuruprasad P Aithal
Queen s Medical Centre, University Hospital, D Floor, South Block, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, UK
Clin Liver Dis 11:563-75, vi-vii. 2007....
- Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of pioglitazone in nondiabetic subjects with nonalcoholic steatohepatitisGuruprasad P Aithal
University Hospitals NHS Trust, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Gastroenterology 135:1176-84. 2008..Insulin sensitizing, anti-inflammatory, and antifibrotic properties of thiazolidinediones support their use in treating NASH. We have evaluated pioglitazone in the treatment of nondiabetic patients with NASH...
- High-resolution endoscopy and endoscopic ultrasound for evaluation of early neoplasia in Barrett's esophagusT Thomas
Nottingham Digestive Diseases Centre and Biomedical Research Unit, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Queens Medical Centre Campus, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Surg Endosc 24:1110-6. 2010..This study aimed to determine whether the lesion morphology of the EBN shown on high-resolution endoscopy predicts EUS and histologic tumor stage...
- Abnormal liver tests in people aged 75 and above: prevalence and association with mortalityK M Fleming
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Nottingham, Nottingham City Hospital, Nottingham, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 34:324-34. 2011..Despite their common use the occurrence and consequences of abnormal liver tests remain unclear...
- Regional anthropometric measures associated with the severity of liver injury in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseV Subramanian
National Institute for Health Research Biomedical Research Unit in Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust and University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 37:455-63. 2013..Not all NAFLD patients are obese and many obese patients do not have NAFLD. Impaired peripheral fat storage may increase the delivery of lipids to the liver and facilitate NAFLD progression...
- Endoscopic-ultrasound-guided mural trucut biopsy in the investigation of unexplained thickening of esophagogastric wallT Thomas
Nottingham Digestive Diseases Centre Biomedical Research Unit, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Queens Medical Centre, United Kingdom
Endoscopy 41:335-9. 2009..We aimed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of EUS-guided mural trucut biopsies (TCB) in detecting underlying malignancy in patients with thickened esophagogastric wall and negative mucosal biopsies...
- Effectiveness of a nurse-led alcohol liaison service in a secondary care medical unitS D Ryder
Department of Gastroenterology, Queens Medical Centre Campus, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
Clin Med 10:435-40. 2010..It is believed that this model of care is an effective means of intervening in people with alcohol-related problems...
- The antecedents of biliary cancer: a primary care case-control study in the United KingdomM J Grainge
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, School of Community Health Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Br J Cancer 100:178-80. 2009..Increased risks were observed for cigarette smoking, diabetes, gallstone disease and obesity...
- Development and evaluation of a nurse-led transient elastography service for the staging of hepatic fibrosis in patients with suspected chronic liver diseaseR B McCorry
Department of Hepatology, National Institute of Health Research Biomedical Research Unit, Nottingham University Hospital NHS Trust, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
QJM 105:749-54. 2012..The studies performed to date have used physician operators. With the potential use of TE for screening of community-based populations for liver disease, we aimed to evaluate the performance of nurse operators...
- Elevated serum alanine transaminase in patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes mellitusJ West
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Nottingham Medical School, Nottingham, UK
QJM 99:871-6. 2006..The risk of chronic liver disease is higher in diabetics, and serum alanine transaminase (ALT) is a sensitive predictor of mortality from liver disease...
- Autoimmune cholestatic liver disease in people with coeliac disease: a population-based study of their associationA Lawson
Wolfson Digestive Disease Foundation, University Hospital, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 21:401-5. 2005..Population data supporting an association between the autoimmune cholestatic liver diseases, primary biliary cirrhosis and primary sclerosing cholangitis and coeliac disease, is limited and at times contradictory...
- Monitoring methotrexate-induced hepatic fibrosis in patients with psoriasis: are serial liver biopsies justified?G P Aithal
Queen s Medical Centre University Hospital, Nottingham, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 19:391-9. 2004..Reports that up to 26% of subjects with psoriasis develop cirrhosis have led to a recommendation of serial liver biopsies after each cumulative dose of 1500 mg of methotrexate...
- Brunner's gland hyperplasia at the ampulla of VaterS E J Janes
Department of Surgery, Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom
J Postgrad Med 52:38-40. 2006..In addition, we present the previously unreported endoscopic ultrasound findings. The subsequent literature review focuses on the pathophysiology, clinical presentation, diagnosis and management of BGH...
- Monitoring liver function during methotrexate therapy for psoriasis: are routine biopsies really necessary?James A Thomas
Queen s Medical Centre, University Hospital, Nottingham, UK
Am J Clin Dermatol 6:357-63. 2005..Advances in the non-invasive assessment of liver fibrogenesis may eventually further reduce the need for biopsy...
- The pathological response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy with FOLFOX-4 for colorectal liver metastases: a comparative studyMark M Aloysius
Division of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Wolfson Digestive Diseases Centre, Nottingham University Hospitals, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Virchows Arch 451:943-8. 2007..001). The response to FOLFOX-4 was associated with tumour necrosis, fibrosis and inflammation. More than two thirds of patients undergoing hepatectomy after FOLFOX-4 had steatosis despite being non-obese...
- Incidence and prevalence of cirrhosis in the United Kingdom, 1992-2001: a general population-based studyKate M Fleming
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
J Hepatol 49:732-8. 2008..To determine the incidence and prevalence of cirrhosis in the United Kingdom...
- Concurrent mucinous cystadenoma of the liver and bile duct: a rare cause of jaundiceQuentin M Nunes
Section of Surgery, Department of Hepatology, University Hospital, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Gastrointest Endosc 63:870-2. 2006
- When is a herb a drug?Guruprasad P Aithal
Queens Medical Centre, University Hospital, Nottingham, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:391-3. 2005..Herbal medicines should be regulated more systematically and monitoring for adverse reaction should improve...
- EUS-guided pancreatic cyst brushing: a comparative study in a tertiary referral centreTitus Thomas
Biomedical Research Unit, Nottingham Digestive Diseases Centre and Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Nottingham, United Kingdom
JOP 11:163-9. 2010..Fluid analysis obtained by EUS guided FNA is used to aid in diagnosis and management of cystic lesions in the pancreas. Complementing fluid aspiration with brushing of cyst wall may increase the cellular yield...
- Noninvasive markers of fibrosis in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: Validating the European Liver Fibrosis Panel and exploring simple markersIndra Neil Guha
Liver Group, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
Hepatology 47:455-60. 2008..The addition of established simple markers augments the diagnostic performance across different stages of fibrosis, which will potentially allow superior stratification of patients with NAFLD for emerging therapeutic strategies...
- Accuracy of EUS for detection of intraductal papillary mucinous tumor of the pancreasGuruprasad P Aithal
Digestive Disease Center and Department of Biostatistics, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 56:701-7. 2002..This study assessed the accuracy of EUS for detection of IPMT and identified features that discriminate IPMT from chronic pancreatitis...
- Hepatic adducts, circulating antibodies, and cytokine polymorphisms in patients with diclofenac hepatotoxicityGuruprasad P Aithal
School of Clinical Medical Sciences Hepatology, Medical School, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Hepatology 39:1430-40. 2004..In conclusion, the observed polymorphisms, resulting in low IL-10 and high IL-4 gene transcription, could favor a T helper (Th)-2 mediated antibody response to neoantigenic stimulation associated with disease susceptibility...
- Association of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis without significant fibrosis with hepatocellular carcinomaRachel E Bullock
J Hepatol 41:685-6. 2004
- Diclofenac-induced liver injury: a paradigm of idiosyncratic drug toxicityGuruprasad P Aithal
Expert Opin Drug Saf 3:519-23. 2004..Understanding the mechanisms of idiosyncratic hepatotoxicity may increase our ability to identify susceptible individuals and hence, prevent serious adverse reactions...
- EUS-guided Trucut mural biopsies in the investigation of unexplained thickening of the esophagogastric wallGuruprasad P Aithal
Division of Gastroenterology and Pathology, Queen s Medical Centre University Hospital, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Gastrointest Endosc 62:624-9. 2005..We examined whether it is feasible to obtain diagnostic tissue core from the gut wall by using EUS-guided Trucut biopsy technique in this group of patients...
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the pancreas: report of a case and review of the literatureGeorge K Anagnostopoulos
Wolfson Digestive Diseases Centre, Queen s Medical Centre, University Hospital, Nottingham, United Kingdom
JOP 7:47-50. 2006..Although, squamous metaplasia of the ductal columnar cells can be observed during periods of inflammation, squamous cell pancreatic carcinoma is an extremely rare tumour...
- Fracture risk in people with primary biliary cirrhosis: a population-based cohort studyMasoud Solaymani-Dodaran
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Gastroenterology 131:1752-7. 2006..We have performed a cohort study using the General Practice Research Database to quantify the excess fracture risk in people with PBC...
- Genetic susceptibility to diclofenac-induced hepatotoxicity: contribution of UGT2B7, CYP2C8, and ABCC2 genotypesAnn K Daly
School of Clinical and Laboratory Sciences, University of Newcastle Medical School, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Gastroenterology 132:272-81. 2007....
- Dangerous liaisons: drug, host and the environmentGuruprasad P Aithal
J Hepatol 46:995-8. 2007
- Influence of ursodeoxycholic acid on the mortality and malignancy associated with primary biliary cirrhosis: a population-based cohort studyHannah Jackson
University of Nottingham Medical School, Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, Medical School, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Hepatology 46:1131-7. 2007..The increased risk of primary liver cancer in ursodeoxycholic acid-treated patients was 3-fold (HR, 3.17; 95% CI, 0.64-15.62), in contrast to an 8-fold increase in those not treated (HR, 7.77; 95% CI, 1.30-46.65)...
- Helical CT versus EUS with fine needle aspiration for celiac nodal assessment in patients with esophageal cancerJoseph Romagnuolo
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gastrointest Endosc 55:648-54. 2002..Helical CT has theoretical advantages over "slice" CT in this regard, but its performance has not yet been prospectively studied...